Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another Biting (skin) Question

He usually knows he is being obnoxious and will settle right away. Isn't it funny how similar they all act?? This is what I love about this site the most. We can all relate to what the other is going through.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member jenzaar's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winslow
    Likes (Received)

I'm so glad this thread is here.
    Winslow throws epic tantrums once or twice a day and I can do nothing but put him in timeout. That's where the task lies though, as he flops onto his back snapping at whatever he can get. It is not fun or easy to deal with (i actually do wonder if this is cause for concern), and I hope you get through this stage with Butter earlier than we're dealing with.. he's coming to 7 months now.

Keep at it, he will get it!

Real Name
    Eve
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by elonepb View Post
    I keep reading about people saying "ignore him". But when they are in that zone there is no ignoring him! He's coming at you and he's biting. He's not stopping. You turn around and he bites your ankles. You pick him up and put him somewhere else, and he's biting your hands or arms while you are carrying him and then charges once he's put down.

Toy redirection can sometimes work but often times he immediately puts it down and charges again in full growl and bite mode. Screaming OUCH doesn't stop it, nothing stops it.

We put him in his crate when he goes into those modes now and let him calm down before he can come out.
    i guess that could be really hard to ignore lol.. That's how we potty trained Zeus ..when he went threw the bighter stage it kind of freaked me out I was scared he would continue to do it as he got older imagine if they bite as adults that can be really scary. But it went away. I think I used the stern no and put him in his crate or stopped playing with him.

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ZeusCsmommy View Post
    i guess that could be really hard to ignore lol.. That's how we potty trained Zeus ..when he went threw the bighter stage it kind of freaked me out I was scared he would continue to do it as he got older imagine if they bite as adults that can be really scary. But it went away. I think I used the stern no and put him in his crate or stopped playing with him.
    When did it go away out of curiosity?

Rocco gets into "bite mode" at night time. When we want to bring him on the couch to lay down and watch tv or something all he wants to do is bite hands. Giving him toys distracts him for about 4 seconds then attacking my hands again. Say No!, he continues, I put him down, he goes after my feet. I put him in the kitchen where he is gated in, he'll either find a toy, cry to get back in the living room, or take a nap but when i bring him back in the living room, same old. The only time he's good and calm is when he is exhausted. Those times where you can just pick him up and put him anywhere and he will immediately fall back asleep. I'm relieved to see others experiencing the same thing though as I know I don't have the only naughty bully pup in the world lol

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fastmatt613 View Post

Rocco gets into "bite mode" at night time. When we want to bring him on the couch to lay down and watch tv or something all he wants to do is bite hands. Giving him toys distracts him for about 4 seconds then attacking my hands again. Say No!, he continues, I put him down, he goes after my feet. I put him in the kitchen where he is gated in, he'll either find a toy, cry to get back in the living room, or take a nap but when i bring him back in the living room, same old. The only time he's good and calm is when he is exhausted. Those times where you can just pick him up and put him anywhere and he will immediately fall back asleep. I'm relieved to see others experiencing the same thing though as I know I don't have the only naughty bully pup in the world lol
    Welcome in the puppyhood !
    They usually calm down and "ease off" once thir adult teeth come out
    What you are doing is right ,keep at it ;-)
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pati Robins View Post
    Welcome in the puppyhood !
    They usually calm down and "ease off" once thir adult teeth come out
    What you are doing is right ,keep at it ;-)
    Well he just lost tooth number 1 so I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! lol I'll keep at it for sure!

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thats a start , i think shark stage is worse than potty training ;-))
    Lily didn't bite as hard as Shy my deaf dog did-i looked like i had a scrap with a cat or alligator ;-))
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Real Name
    Samantha
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    June
    Likes (Received)

Same thing going on at our house with June. She would much rather chew on hands and feet than her toys. When we try to redirect her to a toy, she thinks we're trying to play more and wants to attack the hand with the toy. We put her in her crate when she gets too crazy, and she'll usually fall asleep. But when we take her out she's right back at it! She has lost 1 tooth so far so hopefully seeing some light at the end of the tunnel too

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    I can only respond to this as to what my experience is. When Brutus gets in the "attack mode" there is no stopping him. My son actually tried to GENTLY bite him back. Well Brutus took this as a challenge and it was game on! I have found that he will mostly do this out of control biting when he is tired, so in he goes for a nap and he comes out like a new dog. He is never put into his crate harshly or being yelled at or anything like that. Brutus just sometimes needs a "time out". It could be a 5-10 min. break or he could take a nice nap. It is entirely up to him. But this is the only thing we have found to work when he is crazy.
    I could have written this! We tried EVERYTHING to curb the biting and the ONLY thing that worked was a time out in his crate. It was done calmly, but firmly. Yes, he struggled and tried biting all the way into the "cell" but once in the door was shut, and we retreated out of the room, to let him sulk on his own. He usually fell asleep with nano seconds, so it told me he was tired which contributed to his frenzy. To this day, all I have to do is put my hand on his x-pen ( we don't use the crate any longer) and it stops him DEAD in his tracks. Its actually amazing! We never use the xpen, but I leave it folded in the living room for the scare tactic. Bogey HATED being isolated from us and this was a miracle. He is now 11 months old and we very seldom have a problem.
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Isn't it amazing how similar they all are? They may look different but they sure act the same.

Baxter Tiberius

Yesterday doggy day care said Baxter bit an adult english bulldogs face to the point that it was bleeding.

They were playing and rough housing. They had to wash the adult dogs face to get the blood off.

That was upsetting. But they say they're going to start training him.

They spray him with water, and separate him to an empty room until he calms down now. Hopefully this will work.

Baxter is really really good about not biting me anymore when he's just chilling.

I let out an "OUCH!" really loud several thousand times, and now he only "gums" me kindly.

Never bites me anymore. Im happy about that, but I want him to behave with dogs and strangers.

When he gets excited (during greetings) or with other dogs during rough play ... he bites.

Real Name
    Eve
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fastmatt613 View Post

Maybe 4months. My husband kept saying he was teething. My girls would run by he would catch their dress or tights and tear them. He still looked small so I'm sure it wasn't at 6months since he was huge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads