Intentional Bed Wetter

B

Baxter Tiberius

Heard Baxter whine in his crate, so i got up and walked out, only to see him readying himself and squatting to pee right on his bed, deliberately.

As the pee came out, I clapped my hands and said "No!" And he stopped. Looked horrified, sad, and embarassed (at least that reaction was good).

But to me that says he has no motivation to hold it, whatsoever. If he has to go, he will hold it maybe 15 seconds then just let loose.

The crate is supposed to encourage him to hold it. If it doesn't, whats the solution?

Thoughts?

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

I just remembered others have suggested taking out the bedding, so I have done that now.

And I blocked off the divider.

There is a grass pad right on the other side of the divider.

Still he whines, stands up, and pisses on his bed.

So The bedding it out now.

Only the plastic base to sit on.

And ive blocked the divider to the potty area.

He uses that only when he feels like it. Otherwise he just pisses on his bed.

Most of the time I walk in the room he's laying on the grass area, where he's pee'd 100x and pooped.

Talk about opposite of all known puppy training behaviors ...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Okay, I am new here-not trying to insult more knowledgeable members, but if the pup is crated-and then you have an area IN the crate for them to pee or poop, isn't that teaching them to relieve themselves IN the crate? Just a question,curiousity-NOT criticism............

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
We had this problem. We gave Tubby somewhere to pee in his crate. Fast forward 10 months and he relieves himself in the house whenever he was gated off when we were away.

After lots of info from the wonderful family here Tubby is back in a crate just big enough to turn around and we are going on a month accident free!!!!! I could shout from the roof tops I'm so proud of him.

Please do not make the same mistake we did. His crate is for sleep and relaxing when you're gone. Take the bed, grass and anything he now assosicates with pottying out. I know it seems mean. Trust me. I was like how is this poor guy supposed to hold it all day. While he can and he's doing GREAT!!!!!!! For the middle of the night if Baxter is still young set an alarm to wake up, take him out of his crate to potty then back in.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Few questions, how old are your pups? You did the right thing by removing all the bed. Make sure they have only enough room to turn around. Bacon went through a relapse period after being fine where we had to remove the bedding again. Are you just night/when you are out crating?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I only crate trained Shy for few weeks before one of my foster dogs arrived , we didnt separate the pee area from her sleeping area but from my experience she learned faster when she wasnt crated
Lily on the other hand (like we talked) is a different story , she still can have a pee in bed (not as often as we had when she was Baxter's age) after a play and if i don't ask her quick enough "wanna go pee pee" i think as Baxter grows it should be easier ,he will understand where he should pee - Lily is 5 months and she just about to start barking to go out (we are not 100% there yet)
Im still trying to understand why she done it as in general dogs shouldn't relieve themselves in their beds

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

As mentioned, I blocked off the potty area, so I realized that wasn't helping.
Removing the bedding, prevented him from peeing whenever he felt like it.
This of course requires that you are there to let him out of the crate, religiously, once an hour.

So I guess the answer to my first post was: Remove the bedding and let him out in intervals.
The lack of bedding seems to inhibit the random peeing.

[MENTION=7831]TubbysMom[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]
To answer your questions regarding why there's a potty area in the crate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwZkNlcoWy0

This is necessary for some people who live in condo towers like I do.
But I have found a way to improve upon the situation.
I have purchased a doggy door that fits into my sliding glass patio door.
His playpen area is connected to that door, so he can go in and out as he needs to.
He is now being trained to go out to his patch of grass on the balcony every time he needs to pee.
This is working wonderfully after about 2 weeks of training with treats.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Okay, Baxter Tiberious,
Now I get it. When I was first married, we had one dog(who was my first child)and we lived in an apartment-but only on the second floor-so it was no big deal. I have been in the country too long!!! Never even think of a city life-duh! NOW I get it, and I apologize! I do not lie-I don't get out much!!! Please forgive me.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.