Thread: Another bed-wetter

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Another bed-wetter

This is my first post on this forum, which I've found very helpful during our first months as bulldog owners!

Our Castor is five months now, and although he never pees indoors when he is awake, he does have accidents almost every night. They only happen in his bed (he sleeps in a plastic basket on a towel with a fleece blanket beneath). At what age did your bulldogs sleep through the night? Is this bed-wetting likely due to immaturity or should we look for some other reason?

During daytime, we take him out every three hours or so and he never pees indoors during daytime. The last time we take him out is round midnight and by then he is sound asleep so we need to wake him up to go out. Nonetheless, he always pees and usually poops then. If he wakes up during night, we always take him out at once, but quite often he doesn't wake up until his bed is wet. Setting the alarm clock and waking him up seems to be the only solution right now. Any other suggestions?

Since he only pees in his bed we believe he's too young to sleep through the night. On the other hand, these accidents sometimes happen only an hour or so after he's been out, so it's a bit frustrating (and we don't have a washing machine so I spend a lot of time in the laundry...).

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Another bed-wetter

Hi and welcome to EBN!

I'm no expert on this but did just want to say to make sure his bedding is thoroughly cleaned once he pees/poops on it. Because if there's still a scent on it, he will continue to pee there. I know you wash his bedding regularly but using some kind of enzymatic cleaner to make sure all the urine scent is gone may be helpful if you're not already doing that.
    Also, you may want to put a treat or two in his bed since dogs won't usually pee/poo in his sleeping area.

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Definitely use and enzymatic solution as recommended above. All bullies are different and some sleep through the night with no accidents sooner than others, but the general consensus for pups is their age in months plus 1 hour so your 5 month old should be able to hold it for 5 to 6 hours. My Harlea is only 18 weeks and she has been sleeping through the night in her crate with no accidents since about 11 weeks. However, she is not 100% potty trained as she will still have a pee accident in the house from time to time when she is really playing hard and doesn't make it to the door in time. For now you make have to go back to square one at night with having to take him out on 2 hour intervals or switch to a crate for night time sleeping as they do not normally pee or poo in their "dens" so to speak.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Hello!
    Well, as "they" say, dogs don't usually pee in their sleeping crate. Well, that had been true for 40 years for mine. One of my "girls", who will be 1 year in Oct. did very well as a pup. Then just when I thought she was "potty" trained, she started to pee in her bed at night. Did fine all day! So, I didn't let her drink for at lest 2 hours before bed. Still didn't work. When I thought about it further, I realized that she is such a deep sleeper, she probably didn't even know she had to pee. (No UTI-- confirmed) I started getting up about midnight/1 or 2 and taking her out to pee. Sometimes, she had already wet the blanket., but most times not. I did this for several weeks, and now that she is 11 months, she sleeps through the night and doesn't wet the bed. IF she DOES have to go, she will whine and wake me up, but that is rare now. All animals bodies mature at different ages and I guess mine just took a little longer since she IS a very sound sleeper. Perhaps yours is also. I didn't,- but some try a crate with NO bedding. But for awhile my water bill was higher from doing more wash!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, you've already got great advice from members above, the only thing I can suggest is maybe take the bedding away completely, as some bullies like to pee on their blankets or pillows. My two guys had blankets in their crate when they were first brought home, and they would pee on them, but they also chew and eat pieces of their bedding as well, so we took them out and the peeing stopped. My guys are crate trained at night, and when we are not home, and due to the fact that they can't have anything soft like stuffed toys, blankets, pillows because they eat them, they sleep on the plastic tray. They have two huge dog bed pillows, that I bought at Homesense, but they only use these when they are out during the day, but only when we can supervise them.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

Tubby lost his bed privileges looooong ago. What I noticed was he would literally pee his bed while asleep.
    I suggest getting rid of the bed until Castor earns it back.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Yes..no bedding and at 5 months he should be able to hold it all night..if taken out right before bedtime.

Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

I agree with the rest no more bedding! Loki was with a bed or blanket for months!
    "If our dogs don't like you we probably won't either"

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Amber had a problem with this once and what I found out was when she was right near the air-conditioning vent without a blanket on her would have an accident while she was sleeping. Once I figured that out and closed the air-conditioning vent where she sleeps she never had the problem again. She sleeps with our daughter but the air conditioning vent is right above the foot of the bed; we closed it and keep the door open so it doesn't get hot and now things are just fine. She does not have a bed of her own because she will destroy it but drags a blanket around from room to room depending on where she is staying for the day. Ruby still is in her crate at night not anywhere near air conditioning. Also, my bullies are restricted from water after 7:00pm in the evening; we started that during house breaking and just keep it as a rule and it works great for us. Good luck.

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Dear all, Thank you so much for your valuable input! I'm so glad I found this forum and grateful for all the advice. We have taken away Castor's water bowl in the evening and I will most definitely start using an enzymatic detergent to see if that helps! Removing his bedding will then have to be the next step, I suppose, but will try another detergent first. We don't have air-conditioning, but there might actually be a draught where he sleeps, so we will take that into consideration too.

Thanks again for your quick responses to my question.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

We have a 4 month old pup that sleep through the night and does not soil her bedding. That being said we have another adult bully that will pee her bedding so she does not get bedding. Some will mark their bedding. We use Primo crate pads in all our crates because some of our girls can not have bedding, as they like to chew it. So you might try it a few nights without the bedding and see how he does.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Krista
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug
    Likes (Received)

Aubie had a problem with her bedding too, so we took it out. No more accidents after that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads