Success with overcoming aggression stories?

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
Hey guys! It's been long overdue since I've been on this forum, mainly because I've been having some issues with Briley. He is now 1.5 years, and is having some major aggression issues. He has never liked kids, but has always loved meeting new people and new doggy friends. Something in his head switched almost over night. He tries to attack people (growling, lunging, etc.) that he doesn't know whenever they get within feet of him when were on the patio, on walks, or in the pet store. He has never acted this way in the past. I know his aggression is fear based because he is insecure. When I got him he was in a bad situation with the previous owners, he was kept in a kennel, not socialized, and very scared of everything. I've had him for a year and the aggression issues started no more than a couple months ago, he's always been very friendly. I have a trainer helping us, and rehabilitating him. One day I think he's getting better, and the next he's aggressive again. It's breaking my heart to see people scared of him, having to tell people they cannot come near him because he's not friendly, and to see him acting this way. I'm beginning to think this will never get better and need some uplifting stories to make me believe it's possible to overcome aggression!

So, do any of you have a successful or positive story about an aggressive dog?

B

Baxter Tiberius

Just curious do you know how old he was when he was neutered?
This could be totally off topic so I hope others will reply as if I hadn't interjected, but I was reading on when to neuter baxter and some say the longer you wait, the more testosterone/hormones they end up dealing with long-term and this can play a role in aggression. Just curious what age your pup was snipped.

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=9462]Baxter Tiberius[/MENTION] he was around 9 months when I neutered him. He was cryptorchid, meaning only one testicle dropped. I was waiting to see if it would ever drop, but never did so when they neutered him they had to go up into his abdomen as well. I don't think it has to do with the hormones though because since he only had one drop he only got half the hormones he should have to help him grow and develop, according to the vet, which is another reason I waited. Although, I don't know how true that is.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
I am not much help here Loki used to be happy outgoing as well but same situation it seemed like over nigh he became very shy and timid around people. It is such a sad thing to see especially since people assume that bullies are fun crazy dogs. I know someone with more knowledge will be here to help soon. I am curious to see what the veterans can come up with :)

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=9403]Lokismom[/MENTION] I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this too. I live in a townhouse complex that is VERY dog friendly. Almost everyone has at least one dog in their home. I am right by the dog park so we are constantly encountering this behavior issue. The saddest part, around where I live everyone seems to think that bulldogs are like pitbulls, aggressive. I'm a firmly against BSL, and believe its not the breed. It makes me so sad that instead of changing people's minds about these breeds, I'm part of the "aggressive" side. Before this behavior problem, so many people told me that Briley had changed their minds about this stereotype. I just want him to get better so we can do what we did best and help this issue. I want to hear some success stories so I know it's possible to overcome this aggression issue he is having. 😭

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I have a success story even though the circumstances are a bit different:)

Me and my husband rescued two adult bulldogs on the 24th of October 2010, their names are Joey and Frasier. Frasier quickly developed aggression towards me and it came to the point I could not even move around the house without him bullying me around. I was scared of my own dog:ashamed: and he started MASSIVE fights with our bulldog boy. Due to many reasons (husband working away for weeks at the time, me just had moved to a completely different country, having other rescue dogs at our house and our own two bulldogs, etc etc) I made the decision to give Frasier up, he's now living with the dog trainer we hired to help us deal with the change of taking in rescue dogs and he is like a different dog. The times I've seen him he has been acting wonderful, not only towards me but also with children and people coming up wanting to pet him and play:) He doesn't show any aggression towards dogs either and I could even walk my bully boy with them. I'm so happy he got the help he needed as I'm as far from a pack leader as you can get:blush2:

Basically the only thing he had to do was to go back to basics and be strict with him for a period of time, according to him aggression are one of the easiest behavioral issues to fix:) However, aggression can also come from pain, that was the case with our Joey who had hip dysplasia. I'm sure with some work (if pain reasons are ruled out) you'll have your "old" friendly bully back in no time:)

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
To tackle fear aggression takes time -slowly coming closer to face the fears -when one of my foster dogs had a fear inflicted aggression i tried my best to redirect it /modify -took me few months to do it -and at times i felt like giving up but it was worth it!
I send you few links in a pm -showing and explaining methods i been using i hope it will help

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.