Help Needed! Potty Training Issues!

jodimiller

Aug 9, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boomer
Ok so our Boomer is really good about going potty(#2) outside going to the door when he needs to go out. He will only go #2 outside.....but he will PEE and PEE...And PEE some more anywhere and everywhere. His bed, his crate, my bed, the floor. My question is...I only feed him on a schedule but I keep water available at all times. So should I limit his water intake?? Any and all advice is welcomed and wanted? I suffer from OCD and have had to shampoo my carpet and bed everyday some days multiple times. I need training advice! Please!!

Zoebug

Aug 25, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moola , Gracie , Gabby and Lula Belle
How old is Boomer? If a pup yes you can limit his water intake , if older he might have a UTI or something else going on that keeps him from being able to hold his pee longer.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I have tagged the Potty Training Queen to read this. Hopefully she'll be along soon. The advise she gave me was life changing and has really made a huge difference in Tubby

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would go back to training him like he is a new puppy. Walk him every 15-30 mins with a command of good pee pee or something like that with a treat to follow when he does go outside. and never never let him out of your sight while he is in the house. I would also limit his exposure to your bed and take away his bedding. I say this because my Brutus would pee on his doggie bed when he was little. I am by no means an expert but Brutus trained really quick so hopefully this will help you. good luck and keep us posted.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I feel your pain ... both Daddy and Linus were not particularly fast at learning to pee outside. But I think with most puppies that's the last thing they learn, because it seems #2 comes first, and then they learn to hold the pee second.

I certainly wouldn't withhold water at any age. Access to clean water at any age is very important!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You got great advice from everyone above. I read on here that going back to basics, and starting training over helps, and some people keep puppy on a leash with them at all times, and when they see the dog wanting to or starting to pee, they will redirect them and take them outside. Good luck with Boomer, and hope he learns to pee outside soon. It took our two guys about 5 months to be totally trained. What worked with us was a strict schedule. Here is the schedule we used for our guys.

Re: Potty Training Tips...
For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before you know it. Enjoy your baby.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:)

Ummmm..I guess she meant Potty Training Queen as a GOOD thing! :ROFL:

Ok..I have pretty straight forward advice. It works..but isn't easy on you! First of all, he's young..but sounds like he's doing well with part of his housebreaking. You need to tether him to you at all times in the house. NO free roaming. Take him out every hour, and immediately after eating and/or playing. If you must do something without him...take him out to pee then right in the crate. When you are done, take him out to pee and back on the leash at your side. When he goes outside, reward him and make a big deal out of it. No bedding in his crate..no getting on your bed or furniture while he is being trained. This makes YOU much more aware of any signal he might be giving. If he starts to go while tethered, a slight tug on his leash ..your NO word..and pick him up to finish outside.

It really shouldn't take him long..you will be amazed at what you are missing. It also reinforces with him, that YO.u are in charge. You go..he follows. I wouldn't limit his water intake..you will be with him so can take him out after he eats and drinks. Good Luck!

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
:)

Ummmm..I guess she meant Potty Training Queen as a GOOD thing! :ROFL:

Ok..I have pretty straight forward advice. It works..but isn't easy on you! First of all, he's young..but sounds like he's doing well with part of his housebreaking. You need to tether him to you at all times in the house. NO free roaming. Take him out every hour, and immediately after eating and/or playing. If you must do something without him...take him out to pee then right in the crate. When you are done, take him out to pee and back on the leash at your side. When he goes outside, reward him and make a big deal out of it. No bedding in his crate..no getting on your bed or furniture while he is being trained. This makes YOU much more aware of any signal he might be giving. If he starts to go while tethered, a slight tug on his leash ..your NO word..and pick him up to finish outside.

It really shouldn't take him long..you will be amazed at what you are missing. It also reinforces with him, that YO.u are in charge. You go..he follows. I wouldn't limit his water intake..you will be with him so can take him out after he eats and drinks. Good Luck!

It is a GREAT thing. I owe you BIG time Tubby is a whole new dog now that we got this potty training down thanks to you! Every one is so much happier and at ease :lubu:

elonepb

Aug 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter
I learned with my currently 12 week old puppy that he hated doing anything on the concrete. The first night was terrible, I couldn't understand why he wouldn't go outside when we stayed there for 45 min. He would come inside and immediately pee on the carpet or in his crate. We discovered he only wanted to pee in the grass and that is why he refused to go on the street. Taking him to the park was our temporary solution while we are training him with "go potty" + treat after he does his business.

I don't know what your situation is but clearly the puppy feels most comfortable with peeing in the house for some reason. Perhaps it's the softness of the blankets in his crate, the carpet, etc. Perhaps where you are taking him to pee is something he is not finding suitable. Are you cleaning up the pee spots with a smell remover also? If they keep smelling their pee in the house I hear they'll associate it with peeing.

The schedule is definitely what is working well for me, but it's still a process. I have a dog walker coming 3 times a day during this stage and each day is a different result. Some times there are no accidents. Some times he poops twice throughout the day in his crate. At night however, we keep the crate by the bed and set an alarm or I'll just wake up when he starts rustling about. We've only had 1 accident in a week at night now by using this schedule, and that was because my alarm didn't go off and 4 hours went by.

Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.