Desperate Newbie with new rescue- no end in site peeing all over my house!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I agree with @LariP I would definitely get a few belly bands (I will PM you the link). When we adopted our 10 year old last January she had many accidents, new environment and she's older. We treated her like a puppy, took her out every 30-45 minutes and rewarded her when she went. The trick is to give him the treat immediately when they finish peeing outside, don't wait till you get back inside. We did end up buying a few cottons dog diapers that we wash, we also put a baby diaper underneath it for when she is sleeping since she sometimes has an accident while she sleeps. But a couple of belly bands so if he has an accident you can just toss it in the wash me then put on a clean one! Thank you for rescuing, and don't give up! He is probably just confused! Keep us posted! :)

Last edited:

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I agree with @LariP I would definitely get a few belly bands (I will post the link to amazon after my post). When we adopted our 10 year old last January she had many accidents, new environment and she's older. We treated her like a puppy, took her out every 30-45 minutes and rewarded her when she went. The trick is to give him the treat immediately when they finish peeing outside, don't wait till you get back inside. We did end up buying a few cottons dog diapers that we wash, we also put a baby diaper underneath it for when she is sleeping since she sometimes has an accident while she sleeps. But a couple of belly bands so if he has an accident you can just toss it in the wash me then put on a clean one! Thank you for rescuing, and don't give up! He is probably just confused! Keep us posted! :)

Here is the link to the belly bands:
http://www.amazon.com/PlayaPup-Bell...8&qid=1378239642&sr=8-1&keywords=Dog+pee+band
Wow they have those things in all kinds of colors!!!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
You ahve some great advice! Don't give up, it is going to take time....alot of time. He has to learn things he wasn't taught and he has a new environment and a new family. He is just as stressed as the rest of the family and probably doesn't understand everything going around. He will come around; Rome wasn't built in a day. Keep him contained when you are unable to have direct eyeballs on him at all times. good luck!

aspen2012

Aug 23, 2013
New Mexico
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Aspen
Hope this isn't a duplicate. I agree with the others about the belly bands, I have a toy poodle I rescued and he wears belly bands 24/7 I use panty liners works great and he's neutered, that is the only thing that works and it sure takes the stress away of them peeing on everything. If your baby is constipated or has the runs either way you can use pumpkin puree works like a charm. It's a miracle in a can, just don't get the pumpkin pie filling. Hope this helps a little.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope this isn't a duplicate. I agree with the others about the belly bands, I have a toy poodle I rescued and he wears belly bands 24/7 I use panty liners works great and he's neutered, that is the only thing that works and it sure takes the stress away of them peeing on everything. If your baby is constipated or has the runs either way you can use pumpkin puree works like a charm. It's a miracle in a can, just don't get the pumpkin pie filling. Hope this helps a little.

OP
L

Legoland

Aug 15, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and the positivity :) he is such a sweetheart its just frustrating out lack of communication. His previous owners said he was in the house but hmmm! He doesnt even sit, will come when i call him slowly but eventually but husband its 50/50.
Last night I realized he had gone on his blankets where he sleeps next to my husbands side of the bed! For a 60lb bulldog what size do you suggest in the belly band also there are some other offshoots of the belly band can I get away with a cheaper value pack of them. I hate to have to crate him, he hates to be alone and follows me everywhere and unfortunately with two kids I don't stay still long.
I read that vinegar was effective shoot will go by some natures miracle my poor carpet!
He drinks very little water, it's alarming! I put at least two cups of water in his food to get some liquid in him. He was on gravy train with previous owners and I switched him to wellness Core and fed him 1/2 cup of pumpkin also. After four days he was so constipated vet had me giving him 1 tbl spoon of mineral oil. That worked but when I stopped mineral oil he got constipated again even though he has pumpkin everyday. Vet suggested a home cooked chicken and rice diet. Restarted with a 1 1/2 tsp of mineral oil but need to figure out an optimal diet. Do not want to put him back on Crap train but he wasnt constipated on that according to previous owners.
He has an ear check up in a few days so will ask about uti.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Okay, I'm going to weigh in now w/my opinions as both my bullies have been older
rehomes and both came w/potty issues too. Great advice & encouragement from
everyone, I think with your situation (toddlers & all) and your disappointment with
what you thought you were getting then a potty issue too, it is work, it is frustrating,
and it does cause anger, impatience & sadness...you didn't sign up for all THIS!

My 1st bully, Brutus came with many, short term owners that would have him a short
time then pass him on, at least 3 or 4 that I KNEW about and a nurse got him off Craigs
list and SURPRISE didn't have time for him either. He spent many long hours in his crate
in fact, had worn his teeth down so as a young, energetic, exuberant puppy, must have
languished in there, alone, lonely and abandoned. My sister called me when her friend, the
nurse, wanted to give her to Karen. I had decided after a couple years, off and on of re-
searching EB's then decided I WAS up to, taking care of all their issues (I'm disabled w/low
energy & constant pain) to get a puppy. Karen implied he was an OLDER puppy, I thought
about all of it again for a couple weeks then said Yes. A couple days before the 12 hour trip to
get him & bring him home, Karen called & confessed he was at least 3 y/o or more (I didn't
know anything about his former life yet) and after thinking another day, I agreed to come get
him. But I had had my heart ready & set on a EB puppy so there was some disappointment in
my heart. When I saw him at her house and got his story (I had never liked her friend, the nurse
and didn't think she was a good owner either) I knew he was coming home with me. Brutus had
impeccable manners & behavior and was sweet & affectionate, no mention of potty issues even
tho Karen had had him 3 weeks or so~I think now she must of been thinking of keeping him until
she realized he peed & pooped everywhere so passed him on to me. I'd take him out and he'd be
in 5 minutes then do his business inside! As I mentioned, I have limited energy & deal with pain, I
also had brought my Mother to live w/me & Hubby, she has Alzheimer's & I care for her, alone.
We'd just moved too, I had a house to unpack and could only do a little at a time before I had to
rest up & recuperate, Hubby was traveling and gone 16 days out and 6 days home so he couldn't
help much, it was slow going. At first, I wasn't too worried, I'd always had dogs & cats and plenty
were strays that came this problem & more so I carried on but as time went on, he wasn't 'getting
it' and even crated at night he went there too. He didn't know how to play and had no interest in
toys or even bones to chew on but he was just so sweet, loved to go for rides and had never had a
real home or love, whenever I thought all the extra work was too much for me, my heart wouldn't
let me do this to home...yet ANOTHER new place...no way! Like this great members here say, take
him back to Puppy Potty Training 101 and even put him on a leash, attached to you while you go
about your business so you are aware when he 'gets restless', get him on a consistence schedule of
potty breaks & when he does go outside, have a piece of kibble to give him right after he goes with
effusive praise & use your phrase while praising him, "Good POTTY outside!" As also suggested, go
to Vet & make sure he isn't dealing w/a UTI. Feed a grain free kibble, grain create sugar (carbs),
sugar stresses kidneys, more pee times. There is also less poo (and poo going) and less stink, poos are
much smaller & drier turds, lol

After all this, if the situation is more that you can handle right now...too much on your plate, the kindest
thing you can do is find him a home where he is wanted. EBs are very sensitive, your anger & frustration
come thru to him, loud & clear and I assure you, causing him anxiety & stress. Timing IS everything and
Honey, if it's just to much...give it up! I've been there...many times and you've got to do what is best for
you & your household. I've had to give up a pet or two when things just weren't working out but found
them great homes and it was a WIN WIN for everyone.

Keeping all of you in prayer and GOD bless!

aspen2012

Aug 23, 2013
New Mexico
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Aspen
I get the belly bands at Walmart price is about 8.00 a band. I would say extra large.

- - - Updated - - -

I get the belly bands at Walmart price is about 8.00 a band. I would say extra large.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I rescued an older male bulldog, estimates in age range from 5 ( not true) to seven( vet estimate) Previous owners I believe we're dishonest with me so they have been no help. He has been vet checked so no issues there. Hes also neutered! He was having constipation issues so I cleaned up pee everywhere and thought once the issue cleared he would be okay. But he's not I have carpet, that at this point smells completely of vinegar. He sneaks and pees or pees right in front of me we take him out constantly every three to four hours if he wakes up we take him out. But I have just discovered another puddle in my kids room and I'm done! I did not sign up for an older dog to pee all over my house! We have been crating him he doesn't mess his bed he just pees the second my eyes turn. This is not my first dog, I have gone so far as to tie him to me. Which I did with a puppy years ago to keep him from messing in the house. At this point I know why his previous owners gave him up. FYI when I contacted them about constipation/ housebreaking the ear infection he had. They said if you dont want to deal with it take him to the pound! So they are jerks! I do not want to give up but with two small children having to clean up after him all day and wash the rugs tables clothes etc is driving me crazy !!! Do I just put him in a crate for 20 ish hours a day except for outside time?​

Where are you located?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and the positivity :) he is such a sweetheart its just frustrating out lack of communication. His previous owners said he was in the house but hmmm! He doesnt even sit, will come when i call him slowly but eventually but husband its 50/50.
Last night I realized he had gone on his blankets where he sleeps next to my husbands side of the bed! For a 60lb bulldog what size do you suggest in the belly band also there are some other offshoots of the belly band can I get away with a cheaper value pack of them. I hate to have to crate him, he hates to be alone and follows me everywhere and unfortunately with two kids I don't stay still long.
I read that vinegar was effective shoot will go by some natures miracle my poor carpet!
He drinks very little water, it's alarming! I put at least two cups of water in his food to get some liquid in him. He was on gravy train with previous owners and I switched him to wellness Core and fed him 1/2 cup of pumpkin also. After four days he was so constipated vet had me giving him 1 tbl spoon of mineral oil. That worked but when I stopped mineral oil he got constipated again even though he has pumpkin everyday. Vet suggested a home cooked chicken and rice diet. Restarted with a 1 1/2 tsp of mineral oil but need to figure out an optimal diet. Do not want to put him back on Crap train but he wasnt constipated on that according to previous owners. He has an ear check up in a few days so will ask about uti.

Please, DO NOT put him back on crap food, is Wellness Core grain free? Try a bouillon cube dissolved
in 2-3 cups of water.

I wouldn't believe ANYTHING those people say, they've mislead you from the first, had him on crappy
food, hadn't put the time or effort in to potty train and when you called w/your concerns, suggested
giving to shelter.

Would dearly love to B.I.T.C.H S.L.A.P them.

He's been thru so much, including living w/those uncaring idiots and just like us as we age, change is
hard. If you stick w/this...stay calm, patient, loving, praise him, consistent schedules and clearly keep
your expectations clear to him, you'll get the dog of your dreams. When he does potty inside DO NOT
scold him but take him out immediately while repeating your potty phrase. Ignore bad, praise good!

Thank you for rescuing him & giving him a chance to know love...GOD bless your efforts.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Also, w/both my rehomes and their potty issues, until I got them trained I stopped
letting them on the bed or sofa (only reward for good behavior) and took all bedding
in crate or otherwise away, it somehow is conducive to peeing on them.

Cami, here 5 months and only pottying outside consistently, a month now will STILL
pee on towels left on bath room floor. She gave no signals to go at all at first and now
will come get me, BARK and lead me to the door! It took a solid 3 1/2 months of work
and even starting going outside to potty, Cami would still pee on my bed, I had to take
that priviledge away from her. Cami is 5 1/2 and we are very bonded but only now, it
took 4 months to get here, hard work, frustrating & tiresome but worth every day when
they trust you & let you be MOM, so rewarding and it's like a different dog overnight.

THEN...it's just all good, please give him 3-4 months then decide if you want to continue
or not...what's 3 months? That's about the amount of time it took Brutus to 'get it' too
also, to trust me...that is the key. Once they trust you, everything changes and they want
to please you. Before this happens...not their priority.

OP
L

Legoland

Aug 15, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Hi everyone I am frustrated of course but no I'm not taking it out on the dog! I think im venting especially since i cant yell at the people who i got him from!I'm also not taking him to a shelter. I am looking for advice for an older bulldog dog being unfamiliar with this dogs particular issues. He is my dog now! And yes i would like to slap somebody but am also glad im the one that took him instead of someone who doesn't know how to take care of a dog. Yes his food is grain free its for seniors it has a very good rating. Im thinking dry food might be too much for his tummy. crap train was loaded with by products and soybean oil. Maybe i should add coconut oil or olive oil to his food. mineral oil is only temporary so am looking for a long term fix he likes pumpkin and also sweet potatoes which i feed him chopped up:) I do say no f I catch him peeing literally leg up and then we go outside. I have been using treats they have to be soft he doesn't like hard treats. Ive done tethering but its not too effective for the lifestyle he sleeps and I'm constantly moving haha. I just HAVE to get him outside the second he wakes up from nap that's when he pees I'm literally grabbing my coat at three in the morning and I see the puddle. So he is going to sleep in the crate at night and have to stay in the kitchen more durin the day.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi everyone I am frustrated of course but no I'm not taking it out on the dog! I think im venting especially since i cant yell at the people who i got him from!I'm also not taking him to a shelter. I am looking for advice for an older bulldog dog being unfamiliar with this dogs particular issues. He is my dog now! And yes i would like to slap somebody but am also glad im the one that took him instead of someone who doesn't know how to take care of a dog. Yes his food is grain free its for seniors it has a very good rating. Im thinking dry food might be too much for his tummy. crap train was loaded with by products and soybean oil. Maybe i should add coconut oil or olive oil to his food. mineral oil is only temporary so am looking for a long term fix he likes pumpkin and also sweet potatoes which i feed him chopped up:) I do say no f I catch him peeing literally leg up and then we go outside. I have been using treats they have to be soft he doesn't like hard treats. Ive done tethering but its not too effective for the lifestyle he sleeps and I'm constantly moving haha. I just HAVE to get him outside the second he wakes up from nap that's when he pees I'm literally grabbing my coat at three in the morning and I see the puddle. So he is going to sleep in the crate at night and have to stay in the kitchen more durin the day.

Ok...I am going to tag a couple people who are great with food . [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION].. I know tethering seems impractical, but it's the quickest and certainly the best to get him trained. You see, it isn't just him..it's you too! We just aren't as observant and able to pick up on all the little signals. It's not easy and truly a real pain in the a**! But..having an untrained dog is much worse! For sure remove all bedding and I'm sure the food gurus here can help you find the best food. The bland diet in the meantime should help get his system settled and after a week or so, you can slowly introduce his new food. Good Luck!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I would definitely have him checked for a UTI. If you can, have the full panel run on him to rule out other issues. Blood and urine tests will give you the full picture and if there is a physical cause it can be remedied.

Ive done tethering but its not too effective for the lifestyle he sleeps and I'm constantly moving haha.

Actually, it is very effective. He needs to learn that YOU are the boss and that includes when and where he sleeps. It may sound cruel but trust me, it won't last long. Once he knows that you are the leader everything he does will be to please you. You won't even need treats. If you catch him in the act give him a firm no and take him outside. But if you don't see him do it you have to ignore it. We have exactly 3 seconds to correct bad behavior, after that the lesson is lost. When he pees outside praise him like he just cured cancer! I mean make a HUGE deal of it but expect some accidents. The poor guy is still adjusting to his new surroundings. He's in a strange place with strange people and even stranger smells. It could take a couple of months for him to fully settle in.

There are 2 schools of thought for diarrhea. One is to withhold food for 24 hours, giving the digestive system time to rest and recover. The other is to feed multiple, light smaller meals so the system doesn't have to work so hard. Which one you do is up to you but either way I see lots of over cooked rice and chicken in your future :)

get yourself some Slippery Elm Bark from either online or a health food store or continue to add the pumpkin. Either one of these will help with both diarrhea and constipation. I would stop with the mineral oil. Adding coconut oil will be good for his heart

OP
L

Legoland

Aug 15, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Hi, we're doing better! I'm also pottying him at 2 ish and 5 in the morning which sucks! We went to mother in laws yesterday and he only marked outside :). I have come upon an unlikely benefit of having recently installed a new screen door. We just put it on three days ago, and now can have door open more especially since its been hot. He now goes to the screen and stands instead of laying down which I was interpreting as it was cooler by the door. Anyway if he's standing by the screen we go out immediately so as of now almost two days and no accident. I am thinking he was doing a lot of marking and also had confusion of how to tell me he had to go. I did buy him some belly bands he figured out how to take them off but has gotten used to them. Now I have to deal with his constipation! Baby steps haha

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.