Desperate Newbie with new rescue- no end in site peeing all over my house!

Legoland

Aug 15, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
I rescued an older male bulldog, estimates in age range from 5 ( not true) to seven( vet estimate) Previous owners I believe we're dishonest with me so they have been no help. He has been vet checked so no issues there. Hes also neutered! He was having constipation issues so I cleaned up pee everywhere and thought once the issue cleared he would be okay. But he's not I have carpet, that at this point smells completely of vinegar. He sneaks and pees or pees right in front of me we take him out constantly every three to four hours if he wakes up we take him out. But I have just discovered another puddle in my kids room and I'm done! I did not sign up for an older dog to pee all over my house! We have been crating him he doesn't mess his bed he just pees the second my eyes turn. This is not my first dog, I have gone so far as to tie him to me. Which I did with a puppy years ago to keep him from messing in the house. At this point I know why his previous owners gave him up. FYI when I contacted them about constipation/ housebreaking the ear infection he had. They said if you dont want to deal with it take him to the pound! So they are jerks! I do not want to give up but with two small children having to clean up after him all day and wash the rugs tables clothes etc is driving me crazy !!! Do I just put him in a crate for 20 ish hours a day except for outside time?​

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
[MENTION=9650]Legoland[/MENTION]:welcome: Thank you for saving Buster. He is probably very confused with the new enviorment and wondering where his people are. Please be patient. I am sorry the previous owner were not up front with you but obviously they did not train or take care of him well. You will have to start from scratch treat him like a puppy. take him out every 30 min or so until he understands where he can potty. Put a leash on him and learn his cues to go potty. Use treats and get excited when he goes potty outside. It would be extreamly cruel to leave a dog in a crate for 20+hours please do not even consider that. If it comes to a point you would even consider such a thing contact a bulldog rescue who will rehome him. Bulldogs are very sensitive and can sense anger and frustration. Please be patient. We are here to answer any questions and also vent your frustrations.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree. It's back to basics I'm afraid, and treating him like a puppy.

Is he actually peeing or do you think he's marking???

OP
L

Legoland

Aug 15, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
I think it's definitely peeing. I forgot to mention that we took him to my MOther in laws house and he marked her whole house, she has a dog so I assumed that was what he was doing! We have never had a dog in our apt and the carpet has never been christened. Trying to chase two toddlers and keep him on a leash at all times is so frustrating.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would take a big deep breath and start to act like you have a puppy again. I am sure he is confused and scared right now too. Who knows what the previous owners did with him!! He may never have been house trained!!!

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
I agree. It's back to basics I'm afraid, and treating him like a puppy.

Is he actually peeing or do you think he's marking???

This was my first thought too, possibly marking??

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's what I'm thinking, he is marking, or he was a mill bully and just doesn't know any better and needs to be taught.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
You do have your hands full. Bulldogs are very food motivated so make sure to give him a treat and have a mini party immediately when he goes outside. also make sure to use a enzyme cleaner like natures miricle on your carpet and floors they will continue to potty inside if they smell the urine. I also got a spot bot by bissell that was a life saver when I was potty training my bully it saved my sanity.

Erinbarin

May 3, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasper, 4 & Penelope, 1
You have to start from the beginning. Keeping in the crate does not harm him, and is temporary until he learns to only pee outside. Let him out of the crate only to eat and potty and playtime, when you open the crate take him straight outside to go. Take him out every 30 or so in the beginning, then try restricting him to the kitchen, then limited time on the carpets. Limit his water intake as well. Reward him for pottying outside. You'll have to really clean with odor eliminating products so that he won't re-mark where he can smell it. I know it's frustrating, but it's not the dog's fault. You wouldn't return a kid that was difficult to potty train. If you can't commit to taking the time, then take him to a rescue that will.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
You have to start from the beginning. Keeping in the crate does not harm him, and is temporary until he learns to only pee outside. Let him out of the crate only to eat and potty and playtime, when you open the crate take him straight outside to go. Take him out every 30 or so in the beginning, then try restricting him to the kitchen, then limited time on the carpets. Limit his water intake as well. Reward him for pottying outside. You'll have to really clean with odor eliminating products so that he won't re-mark where he can smell it. I know it's frustrating, but it's not the dog's fault. You wouldn't return a kid that was difficult to potty train. If you can't commit to taking the time, then take him to a rescue that will.

I fully agree ...but don't recommend you limiting his water intake. That may lead to UTIs and other problems. :yes:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
How about getting some belly bands to put on him to catch the urine and lessen the cleanup until you get him trained...or to use if he isn't able to actually control it.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I would definitely go back to basics. From the very beginning. Who knows? He might never have been properly trained. Give him the benefit of the doubt..and crate. When he isn't in the crate, tether him..even in the house. No free roaming at all. Where you go..he goes. Take him out to potty every hour during the day..just to let him know where you expect him to go. After eating and playing..right outside. When you need to do something, without him, take him out to potty, then straight back in the crate. When you return, outside to potty immediately from the crate, then on the tether. When he goes outside, make a big deal of it. Reward and praise.

Make sure and thoroughly clean everywhere he went. You can teach an old dog new behavior. It will take patience and consistency ...but you can do this. He deserves a fair shake. And bravo to you for trying!

Erinbarin

May 3, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasper, 4 & Penelope, 1
I fully agree ...but don't recommend you limiting his water intake. That may lead to UTIs and other problems. :yes:
When I say limit his water, obviously use common sense, let me clarify, limit his water if you know you're going to have him out of the crate for any length of time. Obviously, I'm not saying to deny your dog water.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I may have missed this, but has he been checked for a UTI? You can just bring a sample to the vet- sounds like you won't have difficulty getting one! If negative, you have gotten some good advice about going back to basics. I would not use vinegar to clean his urine spots- it does not break down the urine scent, it just masks it. Use an enzymatic cleaner specifically made for animal urine- I picked up a great one at Walmart- they have 2 kinds- one for carpets the other for hard surfaces. Worked like a charm Good luck!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.