Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Desperate Newbie with new rescue- no end in site peeing all over my house!

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Desperate Newbie with new rescue- no end in site peeing all over my house!

Also, w/both my rehomes and their potty issues, until I got them trained I stopped
    letting them on the bed or sofa (only reward for good behavior) and took all bedding
    in crate or otherwise away, it somehow is conducive to peeing on them.

Cami, here 5 months and only pottying outside consistently, a month now will STILL
    pee on towels left on bath room floor. She gave no signals to go at all at first and now
    will come get me, BARK and lead me to the door! It took a solid 3 1/2 months of work
    and even starting going outside to potty, Cami would still pee on my bed, I had to take
    that priviledge away from her. Cami is 5 1/2 and we are very bonded but only now, it
    took 4 months to get here, hard work, frustrating & tiresome but worth every day when
    they trust you & let you be MOM, so rewarding and it's like a different dog overnight.

THEN...it's just all good, please give him 3-4 months then decide if you want to continue
    or not...what's 3 months? That's about the amount of time it took Brutus to 'get it' too
    also, to trust me...that is the key. Once they trust you, everything changes and they want
    to please you. Before this happens...not their priority.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Desperate Newbie with new rescue- no end in site peeing all over my house!

Hi everyone I am frustrated of course but no I'm not taking it out on the dog! I think im venting especially since i cant yell at the people who i got him from!I'm also not taking him to a shelter. I am looking for advice for an older bulldog dog being unfamiliar with this dogs particular issues. He is my dog now! And yes i would like to slap somebody but am also glad im the one that took him instead of someone who doesn't know how to take care of a dog. Yes his food is grain free its for seniors it has a very good rating. Im thinking dry food might be too much for his tummy. crap train was loaded with by products and soybean oil. Maybe i should add coconut oil or olive oil to his food. mineral oil is only temporary so am looking for a long term fix he likes pumpkin and also sweet potatoes which i feed him chopped up I do say no f I catch him peeing literally leg up and then we go outside. I have been using treats they have to be soft he doesn't like hard treats. Ive done tethering but its not too effective for the lifestyle he sleeps and I'm constantly moving haha. I just HAVE to get him outside the second he wakes up from nap that's when he pees I'm literally grabbing my coat at three in the morning and I see the puddle. So he is going to sleep in the crate at night and have to stay in the kitchen more durin the day.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Legoland View Post
    Hi everyone I am frustrated of course but no I'm not taking it out on the dog! I think im venting especially since i cant yell at the people who i got him from!I'm also not taking him to a shelter. I am looking for advice for an older bulldog dog being unfamiliar with this dogs particular issues. He is my dog now! And yes i would like to slap somebody but am also glad im the one that took him instead of someone who doesn't know how to take care of a dog. Yes his food is grain free its for seniors it has a very good rating. Im thinking dry food might be too much for his tummy. crap train was loaded with by products and soybean oil. Maybe i should add coconut oil or olive oil to his food. mineral oil is only temporary so am looking for a long term fix he likes pumpkin and also sweet potatoes which i feed him chopped up I do say no f I catch him peeing literally leg up and then we go outside. I have been using treats they have to be soft he doesn't like hard treats. Ive done tethering but its not too effective for the lifestyle he sleeps and I'm constantly moving haha. I just HAVE to get him outside the second he wakes up from nap that's when he pees I'm literally grabbing my coat at three in the morning and I see the puddle. So he is going to sleep in the crate at night and have to stay in the kitchen more durin the day.

Ok...I am going to tag a couple people who are great with food . @cowsmom and @Twice.. I know tethering seems impractical, but it's the quickest and certainly the best to get him trained. You see, it isn't just him..it's you too! We just aren't as observant and able to pick up on all the little signals. It's not easy and truly a real pain in the a**! But..having an untrained dog is much worse! For sure remove all bedding and I'm sure the food gurus here can help you find the best food. The bland diet in the meantime should help get his system settled and after a week or so, you can slowly introduce his new food. Good Luck!

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I would definitely have him checked for a UTI. If you can, have the full panel run on him to rule out other issues. Blood and urine tests will give you the full picture and if there is a physical cause it can be remedied.

Ive done tethering but its not too effective for the lifestyle he sleeps and I'm constantly moving haha.
    Actually, it is very effective. He needs to learn that YOU are the boss and that includes when and where he sleeps. It may sound cruel but trust me, it won't last long. Once he knows that you are the leader everything he does will be to please you. You won't even need treats. If you catch him in the act give him a firm no and take him outside. But if you don't see him do it you have to ignore it. We have exactly 3 seconds to correct bad behavior, after that the lesson is lost. When he pees outside praise him like he just cured cancer! I mean make a HUGE deal of it but expect some accidents. The poor guy is still adjusting to his new surroundings. He's in a strange place with strange people and even stranger smells. It could take a couple of months for him to fully settle in.

There are 2 schools of thought for diarrhea. One is to withhold food for 24 hours, giving the digestive system time to rest and recover. The other is to feed multiple, light smaller meals so the system doesn't have to work so hard. Which one you do is up to you but either way I see lots of over cooked rice and chicken in your future

get yourself some Slippery Elm Bark from either online or a health food store or continue to add the pumpkin. Either one of these will help with both diarrhea and constipation. I would stop with the mineral oil. Adding coconut oil will be good for his heart

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster
    Likes (Received)

Hi, we're doing better! I'm also pottying him at 2 ish and 5 in the morning which sucks! We went to mother in laws yesterday and he only marked outside . I have come upon an unlikely benefit of having recently installed a new screen door. We just put it on three days ago, and now can have door open more especially since its been hot. He now goes to the screen and stands instead of laying down which I was interpreting as it was cooler by the door. Anyway if he's standing by the screen we go out immediately so as of now almost two days and no accident. I am thinking he was doing a lot of marking and also had confusion of how to tell me he had to go. I did buy him some belly bands he figured out how to take them off but has gotten used to them. Now I have to deal with his constipation! Baby steps haha

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Yay Buster!!! Good Job Mama

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

Awesome job! I am elated you came here for advise, took what you needed and now see improvements.
    Great job!!!!
    Eddie: Patsy hasn't eaten since 1974.
    Patsy: A crisp, darling. A crisp.
    -Absolutely Fabulous-

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Great progress made already, I'm so happy for you all!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Hi, we're doing better! I'm also pottying him at 2 ish and 5 in the morning which sucks! We went to mother in laws yesterday and he only marked outside . I have come upon an unlikely benefit of having recently installed a new screen door. We just put it on three days ago, and now can have door open more especially since its been hot. He now goes to the screen and stands instead of laying down which I was interpreting as it was cooler by the door. Anyway if he's standing by the screen we go out immediately so as of now almost two days and no accident. I am thinking he was doing a lot of marking and also had confusion of how to tell me he had to go. I did buy him some belly bands he figured out how to take them off but has gotten used to them. Now I have to deal with his constipation! Baby steps haha
    I am doing a happy dance for you and Buster!I don't know you, but I am going to say you are a great person for sticking with Buster while having so much going on in your life. I can gaurantee that Buster will bring you the most joy and love you could have ever imagined possible. I have had dogs all my life and have loved them all immensely. My Brutus is the first bulldog I have ever had and he just gives such a different kind of love and companionship. I love him like none other and I am sure you and your family will soon have the same with your sweet sweet baby.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads