Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desperate Newbie with new rescue- no end in site peeing all over my house!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Desperate Newbie with new rescue- no end in site peeing all over my house!

I would definitely go back to basics. From the very beginning. Who knows? He might never have been properly trained. Give him the benefit of the doubt..and crate. When he isn't in the crate, tether him..even in the house. No free roaming at all. Where you go..he goes. Take him out to potty every hour during the day..just to let him know where you expect him to go. After eating and playing..right outside. When you need to do something, without him, take him out to potty, then straight back in the crate. When you return, outside to potty immediately from the crate, then on the tether. When he goes outside, make a big deal of it. Reward and praise.

Make sure and thoroughly clean everywhere he went. You can teach an old dog new behavior. It will take patience and consistency ...but you can do this. He deserves a fair shake. And bravo to you for trying!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jasper, 4 & Penelope, 1
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Desperate Newbie with new rescue- no end in site peeing all over my house!

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    I fully agree ...but don't recommend you limiting his water intake. That may lead to UTIs and other problems.
    When I say limit his water, obviously use common sense, let me clarify, limit his water if you know you're going to have him out of the crate for any length of time. Obviously, I'm not saying to deny your dog water.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

I may have missed this, but has he been checked for a UTI? You can just bring a sample to the vet- sounds like you won't have difficulty getting one! If negative, you have gotten some good advice about going back to basics. I would not use vinegar to clean his urine spots- it does not break down the urine scent, it just masks it. Use an enzymatic cleaner specifically made for animal urine- I picked up a great one at Walmart- they have 2 kinds- one for carpets the other for hard surfaces. Worked like a charm Good luck!!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I agree with @LariP I would definitely get a few belly bands (I will PM you the link). When we adopted our 10 year old last January she had many accidents, new environment and she's older. We treated her like a puppy, took her out every 30-45 minutes and rewarded her when she went. The trick is to give him the treat immediately when they finish peeing outside, don't wait till you get back inside. We did end up buying a few cottons dog diapers that we wash, we also put a baby diaper underneath it for when she is sleeping since she sometimes has an accident while she sleeps. But a couple of belly bands so if he has an accident you can just toss it in the wash me then put on a clean one! Thank you for rescuing, and don't give up! He is probably just confused! Keep us posted!
    Last edited by mcraven2; 09-03-2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Deleted link! :)
    Princess, Diva, and Gio <3

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mcraven2 View Post
    I agree with @LariP I would definitely get a few belly bands (I will post the link to amazon after my post). When we adopted our 10 year old last January she had many accidents, new environment and she's older. We treated her like a puppy, took her out every 30-45 minutes and rewarded her when she went. The trick is to give him the treat immediately when they finish peeing outside, don't wait till you get back inside. We did end up buying a few cottons dog diapers that we wash, we also put a baby diaper underneath it for when she is sleeping since she sometimes has an accident while she sleeps. But a couple of belly bands so if he has an accident you can just toss it in the wash me then put on a clean one! Thank you for rescuing, and don't give up! He is probably just confused! Keep us posted!

Here is the link to the belly bands:
    http://www.amazon.com/PlayaPup-Belly...s=Dog+pee+band
    Wow they have those things in all kinds of colors!!!

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

You ahve some great advice! Don't give up, it is going to take time....alot of time. He has to learn things he wasn't taught and he has a new environment and a new family. He is just as stressed as the rest of the family and probably doesn't understand everything going around. He will come around; Rome wasn't built in a day. Keep him contained when you are unable to have direct eyeballs on him at all times. good luck!

Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Laura Louise
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lady Aspen
    Likes (Received)

Hope this isn't a duplicate. I agree with the others about the belly bands, I have a toy poodle I rescued and he wears belly bands 24/7 I use panty liners works great and he's neutered, that is the only thing that works and it sure takes the stress away of them peeing on everything. If your baby is constipated or has the runs either way you can use pumpkin puree works like a charm. It's a miracle in a can, just don't get the pumpkin pie filling. Hope this helps a little.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope this isn't a duplicate. I agree with the others about the belly bands, I have a toy poodle I rescued and he wears belly bands 24/7 I use panty liners works great and he's neutered, that is the only thing that works and it sure takes the stress away of them peeing on everything. If your baby is constipated or has the runs either way you can use pumpkin puree works like a charm. It's a miracle in a can, just don't get the pumpkin pie filling. Hope this helps a little.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster
    Likes (Received)

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and the positivity he is such a sweetheart its just frustrating out lack of communication. His previous owners said he was in the house but hmmm! He doesnt even sit, will come when i call him slowly but eventually but husband its 50/50.
    Last night I realized he had gone on his blankets where he sleeps next to my husbands side of the bed! For a 60lb bulldog what size do you suggest in the belly band also there are some other offshoots of the belly band can I get away with a cheaper value pack of them. I hate to have to crate him, he hates to be alone and follows me everywhere and unfortunately with two kids I don't stay still long.
    I read that vinegar was effective shoot will go by some natures miracle my poor carpet!
    He drinks very little water, it's alarming! I put at least two cups of water in his food to get some liquid in him. He was on gravy train with previous owners and I switched him to wellness Core and fed him 1/2 cup of pumpkin also. After four days he was so constipated vet had me giving him 1 tbl spoon of mineral oil. That worked but when I stopped mineral oil he got constipated again even though he has pumpkin everyday. Vet suggested a home cooked chicken and rice diet. Restarted with a 1 1/2 tsp of mineral oil but need to figure out an optimal diet. Do not want to put him back on Crap train but he wasnt constipated on that according to previous owners.
    He has an ear check up in a few days so will ask about uti.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Okay, I'm going to weigh in now w/my opinions as both my bullies have been older
    rehomes and both came w/potty issues too. Great advice & encouragement from
    everyone, I think with your situation (toddlers & all) and your disappointment with
    what you thought you were getting then a potty issue too, it is work, it is frustrating,
    and it does cause anger, impatience & sadness...you didn't sign up for all THIS!

My 1st bully, Brutus came with many, short term owners that would have him a short
    time then pass him on, at least 3 or 4 that I KNEW about and a nurse got him off Craigs
    list and SURPRISE didn't have time for him either. He spent many long hours in his crate
    in fact, had worn his teeth down so as a young, energetic, exuberant puppy, must have
    languished in there, alone, lonely and abandoned. My sister called me when her friend, the
    nurse, wanted to give her to Karen. I had decided after a couple years, off and on of re-
    searching EB's then decided I WAS up to, taking care of all their issues (I'm disabled w/low
    energy & constant pain) to get a puppy. Karen implied he was an OLDER puppy, I thought
    about all of it again for a couple weeks then said Yes. A couple days before the 12 hour trip to
    get him & bring him home, Karen called & confessed he was at least 3 y/o or more (I didn't
    know anything about his former life yet) and after thinking another day, I agreed to come get
    him. But I had had my heart ready & set on a EB puppy so there was some disappointment in
    my heart. When I saw him at her house and got his story (I had never liked her friend, the nurse
    and didn't think she was a good owner either) I knew he was coming home with me. Brutus had
    impeccable manners & behavior and was sweet & affectionate, no mention of potty issues even
    tho Karen had had him 3 weeks or so~I think now she must of been thinking of keeping him until
    she realized he peed & pooped everywhere so passed him on to me. I'd take him out and he'd be
    in 5 minutes then do his business inside! As I mentioned, I have limited energy & deal with pain, I
    also had brought my Mother to live w/me & Hubby, she has Alzheimer's & I care for her, alone.
    We'd just moved too, I had a house to unpack and could only do a little at a time before I had to
    rest up & recuperate, Hubby was traveling and gone 16 days out and 6 days home so he couldn't
    help much, it was slow going. At first, I wasn't too worried, I'd always had dogs & cats and plenty
    were strays that came this problem & more so I carried on but as time went on, he wasn't 'getting
    it' and even crated at night he went there too. He didn't know how to play and had no interest in
    toys or even bones to chew on but he was just so sweet, loved to go for rides and had never had a
    real home or love, whenever I thought all the extra work was too much for me, my heart wouldn't
    let me do this to home...yet ANOTHER new place...no way! Like this great members here say, take
    him back to Puppy Potty Training 101 and even put him on a leash, attached to you while you go
    about your business so you are aware when he 'gets restless', get him on a consistence schedule of
    potty breaks & when he does go outside, have a piece of kibble to give him right after he goes with
    effusive praise & use your phrase while praising him, "Good POTTY outside!" As also suggested, go
    to Vet & make sure he isn't dealing w/a UTI. Feed a grain free kibble, grain create sugar (carbs),
    sugar stresses kidneys, more pee times. There is also less poo (and poo going) and less stink, poos are
    much smaller & drier turds, lol

After all this, if the situation is more that you can handle right now...too much on your plate, the kindest
    thing you can do is find him a home where he is wanted. EBs are very sensitive, your anger & frustration
    come thru to him, loud & clear and I assure you, causing him anxiety & stress. Timing IS everything and
    Honey, if it's just to much...give it up! I've been there...many times and you've got to do what is best for
    you & your household. I've had to give up a pet or two when things just weren't working out but found
    them great homes and it was a WIN WIN for everyone.

Keeping all of you in prayer and GOD bless!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Laura Louise
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lady Aspen
    Likes (Received)

I get the belly bands at Walmart price is about 8.00 a band. I would say extra large.

- - - Updated - - -

I get the belly bands at Walmart price is about 8.00 a band. I would say extra large.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legoland View Post
    I rescued an older male bulldog, estimates in age range from 5 ( not true) to seven( vet estimate) Previous owners I believe we're dishonest with me so they have been no help. He has been vet checked so no issues there. Hes also neutered! He was having constipation issues so I cleaned up pee everywhere and thought once the issue cleared he would be okay. But he's not I have carpet, that at this point smells completely of vinegar. He sneaks and pees or pees right in front of me we take him out constantly every three to four hours if he wakes up we take him out. But I have just discovered another puddle in my kids room and I'm done! I did not sign up for an older dog to pee all over my house! We have been crating him he doesn't mess his bed he just pees the second my eyes turn. This is not my first dog, I have gone so far as to tie him to me. Which I did with a puppy years ago to keep him from messing in the house. At this point I know why his previous owners gave him up. FYI when I contacted them about constipation/ housebreaking the ear infection he had. They said if you dont want to deal with it take him to the pound! So they are jerks! I do not want to give up but with two small children having to clean up after him all day and wash the rugs tables clothes etc is driving me crazy !!! Do I just put him in a crate for 20 ish hours a day except for outside time?
    Where are you located?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Legoland View Post
    Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and the positivity he is such a sweetheart its just frustrating out lack of communication. His previous owners said he was in the house but hmmm! He doesnt even sit, will come when i call him slowly but eventually but husband its 50/50.
    Last night I realized he had gone on his blankets where he sleeps next to my husbands side of the bed! For a 60lb bulldog what size do you suggest in the belly band also there are some other offshoots of the belly band can I get away with a cheaper value pack of them. I hate to have to crate him, he hates to be alone and follows me everywhere and unfortunately with two kids I don't stay still long.
    I read that vinegar was effective shoot will go by some natures miracle my poor carpet!
    He drinks very little water, it's alarming! I put at least two cups of water in his food to get some liquid in him. He was on gravy train with previous owners and I switched him to wellness Core and fed him 1/2 cup of pumpkin also. After four days he was so constipated vet had me giving him 1 tbl spoon of mineral oil. That worked but when I stopped mineral oil he got constipated again even though he has pumpkin everyday. Vet suggested a home cooked chicken and rice diet. Restarted with a 1 1/2 tsp of mineral oil but need to figure out an optimal diet. Do not want to put him back on Crap train but he wasnt constipated on that according to previous owners. He has an ear check up in a few days so will ask about uti.

Please, DO NOT put him back on crap food, is Wellness Core grain free? Try a bouillon cube dissolved
    in 2-3 cups of water.

I wouldn't believe ANYTHING those people say, they've mislead you from the first, had him on crappy
    food, hadn't put the time or effort in to potty train and when you called w/your concerns, suggested
    giving to shelter.

Would dearly love to B.I.T.C.H S.L.A.P them.

He's been thru so much, including living w/those uncaring idiots and just like us as we age, change is
    hard. If you stick w/this...stay calm, patient, loving, praise him, consistent schedules and clearly keep
    your expectations clear to him, you'll get the dog of your dreams. When he does potty inside DO NOT
    scold him but take him out immediately while repeating your potty phrase. Ignore bad, praise good!

Thank you for rescuing him & giving him a chance to know love...GOD bless your efforts.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads