HOT DOGS?!

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
We had our first puppy class yesterday. Khaleesi was a typical pup and stuck pretty closely to me for the first....5 seconds. Then she was all about rough housing with the other pups. Getting her to listen was a real challenge (and I thought that with the training she'd already gone through she'd be the most well behaved pup in class and everyone would ooh and ahh over her brilliant show of obedience) PPPSSSHHHHT!! Anyhow, one of the owners brought hot dog bits as his training treat. Hot. Dogs. What? The trainer offered hot dogs to all of the pups in the class after she learned what he had in his bag. I was picturing myself in my head jumping across the room in slow motion yelling NOOOOOOOO!!!!! skidding across the floor and snatching the hot dog before it hit Khaleesi's dog lips. But I was too late. Of course she listened like a champ for this forbidden treat. And the trainer suggested that everyone bring hot dogs next week. What? Am I being crazy paranoid? Are hot dogs bad for pups?

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hmmm.. well hot dogs are not exactly healthy!!! Soes Khaleesi have any allergies to anything that could be in a hot dog??? I guess it's a good thing that you have to bring your own hot dogs .. at least you can go out and find yourself a nice gluten free organic sausage and use that as a treat???? :unsure:

samantha2011

Jan 15, 2013
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
samantha and brodie
Samantha is allergic to everything on the planet, so I used cheese, in doggy school

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We had our first puppy class yesterday. Khaleesi was a typical pup and stuck pretty closely to me for the first....5 seconds. Then she was all about rough housing with the other pups. Getting her to listen was a real challenge (and I thought that with the training she'd already gone through she'd be the most well behaved pup in class and everyone would ooh and ahh over her brilliant show of obedience) PPPSSSHHHHT!! Anyhow, one of the owners brought hot dog bits as his training treat. Hot. Dogs. What? The trainer offered hot dogs to all of the pups in the class after she learned what he had in his bag. I was picturing myself in my head jumping across the room in slow motion yelling NOOOOOOOO!!!!! skidding across the floor and snatching the hot dog before it hit Khaleesi's dog lips. But I was too late. Of course she listened like a champ for this forbidden treat. And the trainer suggested that everyone bring hot dogs next week. What? Am I being crazy paranoid? Are hot dogs bad for pups?

Good description of you flying across the room! We used hot dogs once when we had puppy class for the walk test because I really wanted Buster to listen to me. They aren't the best thing to use but I used them to get him to listen. Hebrew National %100 pure beef hot dogs.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
when Oliver was in puppy class our trainer had cooked chicken breast in a baggie but we were all encouraged to bring our own treats. Oliver had pieces of freeze dried liver so I knew what he was getting. He of course loved the chicken too and fortunately, he's not allergic to chicken

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
We used hot dogs when we were doing agility training with our lab. He loved them, and it really kept him focused. We just used very tiny pieces, and 1 hot dog was more than enough for each class.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmmm sounds like Hot Dogs is bully crack!!! LOL All I know is when we are grilling both of my doggies go crazy... we give them the occasional bite!!!

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
Thanks for the replies! She's not allergic to anything that we know of yet, so maybe a hot dog during once a week class won't be too bad it sounds... we'll see. :)

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
We used hot dogs during puppy class. I thought they were actually great because you can cut them into such tiny pieces that the dog really is not overindulging and Agnes loved them so much that she worked extra hard!

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I also give national hebrew low sodium hot dogs for my pups as a extra special reward. Just remember hot dogs are #1 choking hazard for dogs and kids. Cut them up extra small.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the replies! She's not allergic to anything that we know of yet, so maybe a hot dog during once a week class won't be too bad it sounds... we'll see. :)

If it works to get her trained, just buy something as healthy as you can find [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] gave a good suggestion. We used dried beef liver when training

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have also heard of bullies chocking on hot dogs, so I would be careful, unless they are really small pieces.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.