Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Well it seems like my super sweet dog is turning into something of a handful. With me he seems to listen and doesn't really show any Agression. However with toys he gets super nasty and will attack anyone that comes into the area where he is with that toy. So for now I have removed all toys.
Now it seems he is claiming the floor area under in front of where I sit on the couch. Last night my roommate came downstairs and went to pet him and he jumped up and charged him. He was biting him but didn't break the skin but he sounded like he meant business.
I shouted NO! Really loud and had my roommate stand still and not look directly at him in an attempt to have him stand his ground with him
My biggest question here is, is there some form of punishment or what should I be doing in events like this? I've never encountered such a stubborn ornery dog in all my life but I love him.
I want this to work but I need to know how to stop him from going after people.

What works to stop them in the act and eliminating that behavior altogether. I don't want to have to give him up.

AJ

From a training stand point my best advice is this .... Start making him wear a leash in the house, when the leash is on you have more control, if he starts to charge give a sharp "ATAT" sound (sound aversion is a great training tool) and a firm tug to the side with the leash, this will break his focus on charging toward someone or something, do command training, sit, stay or watch me so you have complete focus on you. You have to be 100% consistent, if he starts to charge give the same correction each and every time so he understands that he gets corrected each time he does that and it will sink in that it won't be tolerated at anytime. Also you have to claim the toys, claim the space and anything he thinks belongs to "him" body blocking in this area works well, if he is claiming the space I would first take a deep breath get your energy into calm assertive mode then walk toward him making him back up and release his hold on the spot and/or toy starting at ground zero is in order, he needs to know you "own" everything and he only gets to play with it (for toys) or lay on it (for spaces) when you allow it, once you have become the Alpha in his eyes he will look to you for instruction. So in conclusion, start at the beginning, claim your home and everything in it, set firm Rules, Boundaries & Limitations, once he knows what is expected of him he will feel more comfortable and won't try to be "in charge" he is assuming the Alpha role in the home because it sounds like no one else has, they need that Pack Leader to follow or they will assume the role even if it isn't what they want, every pack has to have a leader, and be 100% Consistent in all training, Once you have set the rules, boundaries & limitations with 100% consistency Ozzy will become balanced and that will make him feel more calm and confident.

Keep us posted on how things go :)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
oops I should have finished reading before posting a response ... just ignore my post :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
From a training stand point my best advice is this .... Start making him wear a leash in the house, when the leash is on you have more control, if he starts to charge give a sharp "ATAT" sound (sound aversion is a great training tool) and a firm tug to the side with the leash, this will break his focus on charging toward someone or something, do command training, sit, stay or watch me so you have complete focus on you. You have to be 100% consistent, if he starts to charge give the same correction each and every time so he understands that he gets corrected each time he does that and it will sink in that it won't be tolerated at anytime. Also you have to claim the toys, claim the space and anything he thinks belongs to "him" body blocking in this area works well, if he is claiming the space I would first take a deep breath get your energy into calm assertive mode then walk toward him making him back up and release his hold on the spot and/or toy starting at ground zero is in order, he needs to know you "own" everything and he only gets to play with it (for toys) or lay on it (for spaces) when you allow it, once you have become the Alpha in his eyes he will look to you for instruction. So in conclusion, start at the beginning, claim your home and everything in it, set firm Rules, Boundaries & Limitations, once he knows what is expected of him he will feel more comfortable and won't try to be "in charge" he is assuming the Alpha role in the home because it sounds like no one else has, they need that Pack Leader to follow or they will assume the role even if it isn't what they want, every pack has to have a leader, and be 100% Consistent in all training, Once you have set the rules, boundaries & limitations with 100% consistency Ozzy will become balanced and that will make him feel more calm and confident.

:judges::judges::judges:

OP
AJnSJ

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Bay Area, Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy

Thanks for your feedback! We are working on these thing, and he knows the basics very well. It's just getting him to respect the roommate which is getting better. He will take treats from the roommate, sit, stay, high five etc and that's going very well. At least he isn't worried about his feet getting attacked anytime he walks in the room. I also have been using the leash in the house. That has worked wonders I think as far as correcting him.

Cross your fingers he continues to improve. Otherwise he's going to get stuffed. Maybe turn him into a chubby floor lamp.
yzura6uq.jpg

AJ

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Keep giving us the updates...I am going to have use the leash training when people come to the house because he nearly knocks people over with his exuberance and butt wiggles.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for your feedback! We are working on these thing, and he knows the basics very well. It's just getting him to respect the roommate which is getting better. He will take treats from the roommate, sit, stay, high five etc and that's going very well. At least he isn't worried about his feet getting attacked anytime he walks in the room. I also have been using the leash in the house. That has worked wonders I think as far as correcting him.

Cross your fingers he continues to improve. Otherwise he's going to get stuffed. Maybe turn him into a chubby floor lamp.
yzura6uq.jpg

AJ

So good to hear he is coming along!! Keep on him -- stay consistent. Great stink-eye picture of Ozzy

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I've talked to a behaviorist and two trainers who both say basically the same thing. Hand feeding him and letting him own nothing. Going to talk to a trainer who specializes in only bully breeds. Hopefully he can come by this week. He's been very good today so far and we've not had any charging or snapping. Fingers crossed he will continue being good nod the trainer will be able to correct him and train us how to correct him so we can all live happily ever after.

AJ
KUDOS TO YOU! Finding a trainer who specializes in bulldogs is incredible! I think you just have a small problem that is fixable. My daughter went thru the same thing with her bullmastiff/boxer/ rescue. The poor thing was just trying to protect my daughter, but NO ONE except me and Ed ( my s.o.) could sit on she couch next to her. With work and some good advice, he accepts everyone now, including a new boyfriend she has- that was the real test! Good luck, and please share your sessions with us!!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=9738]AJnSJ[/MENTION] - glad things are getting better :) the more your roommate works with him the better it will get. I love the picture, the look on Ozzy's face is classic!! almost like he is saying "I'll show you chubby floor lamp" :lol:

OP
AJnSJ

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
[MENTION=9738]AJnSJ[/MENTION] - glad things are getting better :) the more your roommate works with him the better it will get. I love the picture, the look on Ozzy's face is classic!! almost like he is saying "I'll show you chubby floor lamp" :lol:

LOL well at least he would be useful. A lazier dog I've never met.
qajagaze.jpg

This pic is BEFORE he went out this morning. He never even made it to the gate before he went back to sleep.

AJ

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=9738]AJnSJ[/MENTION] - I can relate or at least my bulldogs can relate :lol: my 3 are great at holding the floor down or the sofa down :lol: they prefer to lay on my lap or next to me and sleep all day long, that whole play thing doesn't make their priority list :lol:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
So Ozzy had his professional evaluation today with the bulldog trainer. Here's a clip

http://instagram.com/p/eLKnrNNtu5/

He's been diagnosed with possession aggression lol

AJ
Oh my goodness... I was cracking up when the trainer literally picked him up!!! LOL Hopefully he will be able to get him back on track... Keep us posted!!!

OP
AJnSJ

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
Oh my goodness... I was cracking up when the trainer literally picked him up!!! LOL Hopefully he will be able to get him back on track... Keep us posted!!!

LOL that video was only a short part of it. He had Ozzy chasing him around and at the end Ozzy WAS dropping the monkey and obeying. So I'm very hopeful that this can all be worked out. This fat dog even ran up and down the agility props and across this swinging bridge they had set up that he said most dogs won't do. I was very proud of him today.

AJ

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

Keep us posted on how things go :)[/QUOTE

Excellent advice for all, Leesa...thank you!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
AJ, I gotta tell you...I LOVE Ozzy, he's incredibly handsome, full of personality
and so photogenic.

Make a model outta him...useful! Maybe the trainer could make a training video
using him, I watched that short video 6 times.
:heart:

The only 2 EBs I've had were rehomes, one male & one female, Cami, here 5 months
has finally, really accepted me as Mom. They don't earn those reputations for awesome
stubbornness for nothing. Cami could care less about toys, walks or being aggressive in
any way. She was determined to potty in the house, on the bed...no signals of any kind.
Now she will come and get me, even a sharp bark if I'm not paying attention. I'm so proud
of her and her laziness is perfect for me as I've got illnesses that keep me dealing w/pain
and fatigue. She is a sweet diva, how could anyone not love these full of personality dogs?

Keep those pics/videos coming of Ozzy & this journey you are on together. GOD bless!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.