Biting and Agression

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Bay Area, Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
Well it seems like my super sweet dog is turning into something of a handful. With me he seems to listen and doesn't really show any Agression. However with toys he gets super nasty and will attack anyone that comes into the area where he is with that toy. So for now I have removed all toys.
Now it seems he is claiming the floor area under in front of where I sit on the couch. Last night my roommate came downstairs and went to pet him and he jumped up and charged him. He was biting him but didn't break the skin but he sounded like he meant business.
I shouted NO! Really loud and had my roommate stand still and not look directly at him in an attempt to have him stand his ground with him
My biggest question here is, is there some form of punishment or what should I be doing in events like this? I've never encountered such a stubborn ornery dog in all my life but I love him.
I want this to work but I need to know how to stop him from going after people.

What works to stop them in the act and eliminating that behavior altogether. I don't want to have to give him up.

AJ

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I haven't any experience with this, but I know what I would do is seek professional help from a trainer/behaviorist. Your roommate must be sending out fear signals (who wouldn't) and Ozzy is taking advantage of it. Ozzy wants to rule the roost. A couple of things might help--have your roommate feed him and have your roommate take him on walks like in the woods or someplace you won't encounter many other people or dogs. Good luck with him.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
My dog has possession aggression...he's absolutely fine until he has a toy and then god forbid you try to take it..Its not like hes attackng when you come near it but if you try to take it theres a problem. I just remove the toys that he's like that with..as for the territorial spot under your chair I'm not too familiar with that..has he done it more than once? These dogs are very stubborn..I'm sure there will be someone more experienced on here shortly to give you some good advice.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I don't have that much experience with that type of aggression, you will need to go back to basics with him and even have a leash on him in the house so when he does act up, you can correct it with a quick snatch of the leash. Make him earn everything, food, attention and toys. You have to let him know you are in control of everything. There are more members here who will be along with some more info.

OP
AJnSJ

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
So my roommate took him for a walk today and has been making him sit and lay down for treats. Basically working him and he still tried to snap at his feet when he went to stand up from the couch near where I was sitting. He didn't growl and it wasn't as bad as what he did last night. Maybe he's starting to get the picture. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing here so we can nip this in the bud ASAP before someone gets hurt or Ozzy starts to think he's king of the castle. He's such a love bug most of the time but he's definitely trying to get territorial.
I'm desperate at this point from any and all feedback I can get! Thanks for taking the time to respond!

AJ

AJ

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Same here , rather than trying to fix a behaviour yourself without experience in this type of thing you can do more damage than good ,if i was you i would seek professional help too ,
Sorry im no help here but i never experienced this type of behavior

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I haven't any experience with this, but I know what I would do is seek professional help from a trainer/behaviorist.

This for sure! I have one client who when I came over, she made sure all the toys were put away. Her dog was super sweet - if she didn't tell me about his toy aggressiveness I would have had no idea.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't really have this issue w/Winston, but I agree w/David I think going back to the basics may be the key. I know whenever Winston gets crazy over something I pretty much take away whatever it is & STOP all activity until he calms down. You may need to consult a trainer if he's not listening to you... Good Luck!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So my roommate took him for a walk today and has been making him sit and lay down for treats. Basically working him and he still tried to snap at his feet when he went to stand up from the couch near where I was sitting. He didn't growl and it wasn't as bad as what he did last night. Maybe he's starting to get the picture. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing here so we can nip this in the bud ASAP before someone gets hurt or Ozzy starts to think he's king of the castle. He's such a love bug most of the time but he's definitely trying to get territorial.
I'm desperate at this point from any and all feedback I can get! Thanks for taking the time to respond!
AJ

He is what sounds like, resource guarding... you need to go back to basics with him... look up 'Nothing in Life is Free' -- also, think about an in home trainer to help evaluate and ensure you correct him and train the right way as to not make the issue worse.

good luck and keep us posted

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree with Back to the Basics. He is disrespecting you and your roommate. Using the leash for control and correction in the house is great advice. He is obviously challenging for pack leader. If you are uncomfortable with getting him to walk the line, by all means,, search out a good trainer. There are many ways to communicate with him, that you are the leader. You can try feeding him by hand, you lead....he follows. He owns nothing...you own everything.

OP
AJnSJ

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
I've talked to a behaviorist and two trainers who both say basically the same thing. Hand feeding him and letting him own nothing. Going to talk to a trainer who specializes in only bully breeds. Hopefully he can come by this week. He's been very good today so far and we've not had any charging or snapping. Fingers crossed he will continue being good nod the trainer will be able to correct him and train us how to correct him so we can all live happily ever after.

AJ

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I've talked to a behaviorist and two trainers who both say basically the same thing. Hand feeding him and letting him own nothing. Going to talk to a trainer who specializes in only bully breeds. Hopefully he can come by this week. He's been very good today so far and we've not had any charging or snapping. Fingers crossed he will continue being good nod the trainer will be able to correct him and train us how to correct him so we can all live happily ever after.

AJ

Great advise here. I think you have your answer and quite frankly, this is the answer to MOST problems where the dog is clearly unsure of his place (bottom) in the pack order in the household.

This is after you've ruled out something medical (let's say a pain problem where the dog is anxious / protecting itself and its simply a survival instinct), of course.

Ozzy sounds like the best boy -- he just needs to truly understand his place. Once he does, he'll be a happier, happier boy. Dogs like to "know" where they stand. It's comforting to them.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Keep us posted as to what you and the behaviorist do that helps. I'm sure more ppl could use the tips. Glad he seems to be getting the picture. They sure are headstrong but I think w the help you have, going back to basics and understanding his behavior, you will be ok!

OP
AJnSJ

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
He's been very good. He hasn't had any more incidents of going after the roommate. He did have an accident in the house this morning but that's my fault because I didn't take him out before bed. He's being stubborn about walking out and just sits down and refuses to budge. That's the first and hopefully the last of that.

AJ

OP
AJnSJ

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
utugyzeh.jpg
just stepped out of the shower a few minutes ago and almost had a heart attack when I saw the bird down on the floor. Then I stood back and watched and Ozzy made no attempt to eat him. My cockatoo likes to stroll around the house looking for me in the morning. So nice to have a trustworthy dog. Makes me love him so much more.

AJ

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online