Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 32

Thread: Biting and Agression

  1. #13
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Lisabear123's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Gainesville, Ga
    Posts
    2,454
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Biting and Agression

    Keep us posted as to what you and the behaviorist do that helps. I'm sure more ppl could use the tips. Glad he seems to be getting the picture. They sure are headstrong but I think w the help you have, going back to basics and understanding his behavior, you will be ok!

  2. #14
    Pooper scooper AJnSJ's Avatar
    Real Name
    AJ
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Bay Area, Northern California
    Posts
    40
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ozzy
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Biting and Agression

    He's been very good. He hasn't had any more incidents of going after the roommate. He did have an accident in the house this morning but that's my fault because I didn't take him out before bed. He's being stubborn about walking out and just sits down and refuses to budge. That's the first and hopefully the last of that.


    AJ

    AJ


  3. #15
    Pooper scooper AJnSJ's Avatar
    Real Name
    AJ
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Bay Area, Northern California
    Posts
    40
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ozzy
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Biting and Agression

    just stepped out of the shower a few minutes ago and almost had a heart attack when I saw the bird down on the floor. Then I stood back and watched and Ozzy made no attempt to eat him. My cockatoo likes to stroll around the house looking for me in the morning. So nice to have a trustworthy dog. Makes me love him so much more.


    AJ

    AJ


  4. #16
    Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bulldogs4me's Avatar
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,928
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    17
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Biting and Agression

    Quote Originally Posted by AJnSJ View Post
    Well it seems like my super sweet dog is turning into something of a handful. With me he seems to listen and doesn't really show any Agression. However with toys he gets super nasty and will attack anyone that comes into the area where he is with that toy. So for now I have removed all toys.
    Now it seems he is claiming the floor area under in front of where I sit on the couch. Last night my roommate came downstairs and went to pet him and he jumped up and charged him. He was biting him but didn't break the skin but he sounded like he meant business.
    I shouted NO! Really loud and had my roommate stand still and not look directly at him in an attempt to have him stand his ground with him
    My biggest question here is, is there some form of punishment or what should I be doing in events like this? I've never encountered such a stubborn ornery dog in all my life but I love him.
    I want this to work but I need to know how to stop him from going after people.

    What works to stop them in the act and eliminating that behavior altogether. I don't want to have to give him up.

    AJ

    From a training stand point my best advice is this .... Start making him wear a leash in the house, when the leash is on you have more control, if he starts to charge give a sharp "ATAT" sound (sound aversion is a great training tool) and a firm tug to the side with the leash, this will break his focus on charging toward someone or something, do command training, sit, stay or watch me so you have complete focus on you. You have to be 100% consistent, if he starts to charge give the same correction each and every time so he understands that he gets corrected each time he does that and it will sink in that it won't be tolerated at anytime. Also you have to claim the toys, claim the space and anything he thinks belongs to "him" body blocking in this area works well, if he is claiming the space I would first take a deep breath get your energy into calm assertive mode then walk toward him making him back up and release his hold on the spot and/or toy starting at ground zero is in order, he needs to know you "own" everything and he only gets to play with it (for toys) or lay on it (for spaces) when you allow it, once you have become the Alpha in his eyes he will look to you for instruction. So in conclusion, start at the beginning, claim your home and everything in it, set firm Rules, Boundaries & Limitations, once he knows what is expected of him he will feel more comfortable and won't try to be "in charge" he is assuming the Alpha role in the home because it sounds like no one else has, they need that Pack Leader to follow or they will assume the role even if it isn't what they want, every pack has to have a leader, and be 100% Consistent in all training, Once you have set the rules, boundaries & limitations with 100% consistency Ozzy will become balanced and that will make him feel more calm and confident.

    Keep us posted on how things go
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

  5. #17
    Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bulldogs4me's Avatar
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,928
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    17
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Biting and Agression

    oops I should have finished reading before posting a response ... just ignore my post
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

  6. #18
    "Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Location
    Mukilteo, Washington State
    Posts
    5,794
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Biting and Agression

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs4me View Post
    From a training stand point my best advice is this .... Start making him wear a leash in the house, when the leash is on you have more control, if he starts to charge give a sharp "ATAT" sound (sound aversion is a great training tool) and a firm tug to the side with the leash, this will break his focus on charging toward someone or something, do command training, sit, stay or watch me so you have complete focus on you. You have to be 100% consistent, if he starts to charge give the same correction each and every time so he understands that he gets corrected each time he does that and it will sink in that it won't be tolerated at anytime. Also you have to claim the toys, claim the space and anything he thinks belongs to "him" body blocking in this area works well, if he is claiming the space I would first take a deep breath get your energy into calm assertive mode then walk toward him making him back up and release his hold on the spot and/or toy starting at ground zero is in order, he needs to know you "own" everything and he only gets to play with it (for toys) or lay on it (for spaces) when you allow it, once you have become the Alpha in his eyes he will look to you for instruction. So in conclusion, start at the beginning, claim your home and everything in it, set firm Rules, Boundaries & Limitations, once he knows what is expected of him he will feel more comfortable and won't try to be "in charge" he is assuming the Alpha role in the home because it sounds like no one else has, they need that Pack Leader to follow or they will assume the role even if it isn't what they want, every pack has to have a leader, and be 100% Consistent in all training, Once you have set the rules, boundaries & limitations with 100% consistency Ozzy will become balanced and that will make him feel more calm and confident.

    Keep us posted on how things go

  7. #19
    Pooper scooper AJnSJ's Avatar
    Real Name
    AJ
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Bay Area, Northern California
    Posts
    40
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ozzy
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Biting and Agression

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs4me View Post
    From a training stand point my best advice is this .... Start making him wear a leash in the house, when the leash is on you have more control, if he starts to charge give a sharp "ATAT" sound (sound aversion is a great training tool) and a firm tug to the side with the leash, this will break his focus on charging toward someone or something, do command training, sit, stay or watch me so you have complete focus on you. You have to be 100% consistent, if he starts to charge give the same correction each and every time so he understands that he gets corrected each time he does that and it will sink in that it won't be tolerated at anytime. Also you have to claim the toys, claim the space and anything he thinks belongs to "him" body blocking in this area works well, if he is claiming the space I would first take a deep breath get your energy into calm assertive mode then walk toward him making him back up and release his hold on the spot and/or toy starting at ground zero is in order, he needs to know you "own" everything and he only gets to play with it (for toys) or lay on it (for spaces) when you allow it, once you have become the Alpha in his eyes he will look to you for instruction. So in conclusion, start at the beginning, claim your home and everything in it, set firm Rules, Boundaries & Limitations, once he knows what is expected of him he will feel more comfortable and won't try to be "in charge" he is assuming the Alpha role in the home because it sounds like no one else has, they need that Pack Leader to follow or they will assume the role even if it isn't what they want, every pack has to have a leader, and be 100% Consistent in all training, Once you have set the rules, boundaries & limitations with 100% consistency Ozzy will become balanced and that will make him feel more calm and confident.

    Keep us posted on how things go
    Thanks for your feedback! We are working on these thing, and he knows the basics very well. It's just getting him to respect the roommate which is getting better. He will take treats from the roommate, sit, stay, high five etc and that's going very well. At least he isn't worried about his feet getting attacked anytime he walks in the room. I also have been using the leash in the house. That has worked wonders I think as far as correcting him.

    Cross your fingers he continues to improve. Otherwise he's going to get stuffed. Maybe turn him into a chubby floor lamp.


    AJ

    AJ


  8. #20
    I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Jennifer Clark's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Searcy, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,846
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    15
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Biting and Agression

    Keep giving us the updates...I am going to have use the leash training when people come to the house because he nearly knocks people over with his exuberance and butt wiggles.

    R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

  9. #21
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,182
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11515

    Default Re: Biting and Agression

    Quote Originally Posted by AJnSJ View Post
    Thanks for your feedback! We are working on these thing, and he knows the basics very well. It's just getting him to respect the roommate which is getting better. He will take treats from the roommate, sit, stay, high five etc and that's going very well. At least he isn't worried about his feet getting attacked anytime he walks in the room. I also have been using the leash in the house. That has worked wonders I think as far as correcting him.

    Cross your fingers he continues to improve. Otherwise he's going to get stuffed. Maybe turn him into a chubby floor lamp.


    AJ
    So good to hear he is coming along!! Keep on him -- stay consistent. Great stink-eye picture of Ozzy
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  10. #22
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    mer55's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Sarasota, Fl
    Posts
    874
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)
    53

    Default Re: Biting and Agression

    Quote Originally Posted by AJnSJ View Post
    I've talked to a behaviorist and two trainers who both say basically the same thing. Hand feeding him and letting him own nothing. Going to talk to a trainer who specializes in only bully breeds. Hopefully he can come by this week. He's been very good today so far and we've not had any charging or snapping. Fingers crossed he will continue being good nod the trainer will be able to correct him and train us how to correct him so we can all live happily ever after.


    AJ
    KUDOS TO YOU! Finding a trainer who specializes in bulldogs is incredible! I think you just have a small problem that is fixable. My daughter went thru the same thing with her bullmastiff/boxer/ rescue. The poor thing was just trying to protect my daughter, but NO ONE except me and Ed ( my s.o.) could sit on she couch next to her. With work and some good advice, he accepts everyone now, including a new boyfriend she has- that was the real test! Good luck, and please share your sessions with us!!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

  11. #23
    Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bulldogs4me's Avatar
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,928
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    17
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Biting and Agression

    @AJnSJ - glad things are getting better the more your roommate works with him the better it will get. I love the picture, the look on Ozzy's face is classic!! almost like he is saying "I'll show you chubby floor lamp"
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

  12. #24
    Pooper scooper AJnSJ's Avatar
    Real Name
    AJ
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Bay Area, Northern California
    Posts
    40
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ozzy
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Biting and Agression

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs4me View Post
    @AJnSJ - glad things are getting better the more your roommate works with him the better it will get. I love the picture, the look on Ozzy's face is classic!! almost like he is saying "I'll show you chubby floor lamp"
    LOL well at least he would be useful. A lazier dog I've never met.
    This pic is BEFORE he went out this morning. He never even made it to the gate before he went back to sleep.


    AJ

    AJ


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •