Tips on potty training in hot weather?

elonepb

Aug 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter
Hey all, my girlfriend and I finally took home Butter today. He's such a joy, a little aggressive like I've read on here, but already taking to his partitioned crate for sleep with only a little up front fuss.

For house breaking though we've had 2 accidents. We've gotten him outdoors before he goes, but it's quite hot and humid outside (87 and very humid) so we didn't keep him out long. Maybe 10 minutes if that.

Both times he didn't go outside but within 2 minutes of being inside he went on the carpet. We corrected immediately with a NO and brought him outside, but it's hot and he had just come inside.

Anyone have any tips on potty training in hot weather? Once the weather is nicer it's no problem to walk him till he goes but I don't want to do that in the heat.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Wish I had some ideas -- I got Dudley in February in NJ -- heat was not an issue. I'm sure someone will be along with some helpful info, but I had to tell you how adorable Butter is...post some more photos...the avatar is just not enough!! MORE BUTTER PLEASE!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I feel you. Its a tough call. It was in the 100's already by the time we got Harlea So we had the same problem. What we did was limit her time outside to onpy 5 minutes max but take her out more often like every 30 to 45 minutes whethere she had to go or not. Then when Iit started to cool off at night we would take her out for longer periods. Right now for her final time out before bed she is outside for about 30 to 45 minutes and we are out there with her.

So early morning and late evenings she get longer periods outside spaced further apart and in the heat of the day she gets short periods closer together. Be sure to have plenty of fresh cool water handy for midday potty breaks.

OP
elonepb

elonepb

Aug 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter
Thanks [MENTION=5232]DudleysMom[/MENTION] will definitely post pictures this weekend. I think it's a comfort thing of the soft carpet as opposed to the concrete outside. There's a park nearby I could take him to its just that he's so young (doesnt have all his shots yet) and it feels like it's too hot to just wait forever.

As the weather cooled today I took him outside for longer, 20 min this time. Nothing but he came inside and instantly peed, this time seeking out his crate as the spot!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We do the same only about 5 to 10 minutes out and take them out more frequently. The best thing to remember is, as soon as he wakes up, stops playing, and before and after eating, take him out.

B

Baxter Tiberius

I am the last one to give advice on this (LOL) but I am starting to figure out the tricks.

Food. I'll say it again. Food.

Instead of saying no when he does wrong, and taking him out (he will likely just look at you like "Why am I out here?") ....

Take him out every hour when you are awake. Literally watch the clock. "Next time will be at 2:30pm"

Take him out even if he doesn't seem to have to go.

Wait when he's out there.

Do it again the next hour.

He may pee in the house in between.

But here's the key: one of those times he will pee when he's out there.

And that's when you offer him a kibble or two from his food. Praise him.

This is the *only* thing that is working with Baxter.

I am in Miami FL where it is pushing 90 with 70% humidity. Its just plain gross outside.

Hot and humid. Plays no role in the process however.

If you're just standing there, and he's just sitting there, its not a big deal to give him 5 solid minutes. Find a tree with some shade.

The other trick that seems to work with Baxter is standing next to the spot where he should go potty.

Just stand there. Don't move. Don't look at him. Just look off in the distance. And wait. Read a book. Send text messages.

Saying "No!" is a worthwhile measure, but he has no clue what "Yes" is yet ... what he's supposed to do.

Taking him out mid-stream usually does nothing. He doesn't understand why you're taking him out.

Offering food at the proper location: this works. At least for the worlds most difficult potty trainer: Baxter.

And taking him out literally 10x a day if possible. At least every hour when you are home. No exceptions.

I have started to get his "pattern now". I get an "uncomfortable" feeling when its been more than 15 minutes or 30 minutes and he's walking around the house with me.

I take him out.

Just in case. Out we go. 2-3 minutes, no pee? Okay we go back in. But we're back out again 15-20 minutes later.

Then he pees. Now I know I have a solid half hour to 1 hour of no worries.

When you catch him peeing outside, or pooping outside - praises and food. Food. FOOD!

Again: Food when he pees in the right place.

One last thing: expect weeks and weeks of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 accidents in the house.

But if you can get 25 of those to be outside with a treat, I believe he will start to catch on.

Going to update my other thread now, where im crying and whining that im wasting my time. LOL. Got some good news...

Last edited:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Thanks @DudleysMom will definitely post pictures this weekend. I think it's a comfort thing of the soft carpet as opposed to the concrete outside. There's a park nearby I could take him to its just that he's so young (doesnt have all his shots yet) and it feels like it's too hot to just wait forever.

As the weather cooled today I took him outside for longer, 20 min this time. Nothing but he came inside and instantly peed, this time seeking out his crate as the spot!

It's hard when it's hot and they are so little. Dudley's breeder had started taking the pups out immediately...so he was used to grass, etc. I was so lucky. Just keep at it...it's hard but just be consistent. Good luck!

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I am the last one to give advice on this (LOL) but I am starting to figure out the tricks.

Food. I'll say it again. Food.

Instead of saying no when he does wrong, and taking him out (he will likely just look at you like "Why am I out here?") ....

Take him out every hour when you are awake. Literally watch the clock. "Next time will be at 2:30pm"

Take him out even if he doesn't seem to have to go.

Wait when he's out there.

Do it again the next hour.

He may pee in the house in between.

But here's the key: one of those times he will pee when he's out there.

And that's when you offer him a kibble or two from his food. Praise him.

This is the *only* thing that is working with Baxter.

I am in Miami FL where it is pushing 90 with 70% humidity. Its just plain gross outside.

Hot and humid. Plays no role in the process however.

If you're just standing there, and he's just sitting there, its not a big deal to give him 5 solid minutes. Find a tree with some shade.

The other trick that seems to work with Baxter is standing next to the spot where he should go potty.

Just stand there. Don't move. Don't look at him. Just look off in the distance. And wait. Read a book. Send text messages.

Saying "No!" is a worthwhile measure, but he has no clue what "Yes" is yet ... what he's supposed to do.

Taking him out mid-stream usually does nothing. He doesn't understand why you're taking him out.

Offering food at the proper location: this works. At least for the worlds most difficult potty trainer: Baxter.

And taking him out literally 10x a day if possible. At least every hour when you are home. No exceptions.

I have started to get his "pattern now". I get an "uncomfortable" feeling when its been more than 15 minutes or 30 minutes and he's walking around the house with me.

I take him out.

Just in case. Out we go. 2-3 minutes, no pee? Okay we go back in. But we're back out again 15-20 minutes later.

Then he pees. Now I know I have a solid half hour to 1 hour of no worries.

When you catch him peeing outside, or pooping outside - praises and food. Food. FOOD!

Again: Food when he pees in the right place.

One last thing: expect weeks and weeks of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 accidents in the house.

But if you can get 25 of those to be outside with a treat, I believe he will start to catch on.

Going to update my other thread now, where im crying and whining that im wasting my time. LOL. Got some good news...
This was really helpful... so at least you know some good is coming of Baxter's potty craziness. ;)
Hubby wants to go back to crate training, but... no. I can't do that, so if I can come up with another solution then I'll try it!

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
My vet recomended for young pups to train thru using the crate: 30 mins of playtime. Then take outside to potty. Then go in crate for 2hours. They will get the urge to go and realize they are in the crate and not want to go in their crate, thus holding it. Take outside to potty after 2 hrs, then Repeat the 30 mins of play followed by 2 hrs of crate. He "swears it will only take 2 weeks" of this routine. We'll see. When we stick to the routine it works, but we find that sometimes we want to play with her for more than 30 mins, so that's when the accidents occur.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Baxter flips out like he is dying a horrible death, screaming and crying and barking like he's being stabbed with a knife .... if I put him in the crate for 2 hours.
All it does is make him more aggressive when he's out. But i'll give this a try too.

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Baxter flips out like he is dying a horrible death, screaming and crying and barking like he's being stabbed with a knife .... if I put him in the crate for 2 hours.
All it does is make him more aggressive when he's out. But i'll give this a try too.

that's so funny!! Stella doesn't mind her crate at all. She enjoys going in there to relax.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.