Gator won't let groomer clip his nails....any advice???

MzGrnMnM

Aug 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator
We are on our third groomer and they too cannot get to Gators nails. He goes to bite the clippers and if they continue to try he lunges at them....his nails are long and are begining to split, i'm worried that he will get an infection....I'm sure someone has an answer????

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have had dogs all my life and have always clipped their nails myself. Bulldogs are the first ones, that I have to take to the Veterinarian to have their nails clipped.He has help, but not needed sed. I have no help to hold them-but still don't know if I could get it done. They do not try to bite-but wiggle and pull so much. Maybe, if nails are real bad-your vet might have to sedate and trim? IF he is a bully vet.........others may have a better suggestion.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Sorry to hear this. My parents used to have a pup that they had to give puppy valium to in order to do his nails. I don't like that. What you can try is working with your baby yourself. Get a set of clippers and get on the floor and let him sniff and investigate them. Reward and praise if he doesn't attack them. Do that for a few days than repeat the process withtaking the clippers and gently touch him with them Again reward and praise if he doesn't attack. After another few days start touching his legs and feet with the clippers. Reward and praise again. Continue to repeat this until you get to actuall touching and trimming his nails. Basically what you are doing is showing Gator that the clippers aren't a bad thing that is out to get him. I am sure there are other ways and other will be here to share what has worked for them as well.

My wife also files Harlea's nails with an emory board a few times a week which helps out a lot.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We have a few that hate their nails done and it takes both of us to do it. One holds and tries to calm, and the other clips the nail.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Sorry you are having such a time of it. I have no advice. Dudley isn't really crazy about it, but he doesn't fight it. I have them done at PetSmart. As soon as he walks in, he tries to get right up on the table to have them clipped! He just stands there. Sometimes -- and for the oddest things -- he can be such a good boy!

Kimmy

Jun 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hurley Who MaGoo
I have never had this issue in my life with all the dogs I have owned and grew up with. Only time this occured was with both of my EBN's . Mojo my first ever bulldog was not as bad as Hurley is. Mojo would have to take Ace. Then she learned to let me have her feet as long as somebody else in the house was holding a can of newly opened vienna sausages... she overcame her severe reaction to nail clipping. I started trimming Hurley's nails as soon as I brought her home. She is a nitemare. Once a week hubby and I take her outside, hubby holds her and I fight with her legs to get the job done. It's horrible! The entire time she is growling and yelping and trying to bite us both. I used to work in veterinary clinics and I know how to properly hold the dog but no one in my family will cut her nails .. they afraid they will hurt her. It's a job but we get it done. Soon as I say all done and daddy lets her back down off she goes as if nothing in the world just happened ... big goofball !!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Usually I hold Aubie against my chest an lean back, rubbing her belly, while Brandon tackles her nails. She pulls a little, but eventually she gets sleepy with all the belly rubs. Maybe it'd help if it was someone he was familiar with who could help you do it?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
We are on our third groomer and they too cannot get to Gators nails. He goes to bite the clippers and if they continue to try he lunges at them....his nails are long and are begining to split, i'm worried that he will get an infection....I'm sure someone has an answer????

Find another groomer who can. That's my best advice. LOL

I take Bo and Bea to a place that can and does. They never see EBs in there so the dynamic duo are kind of like celebrities when we show up for a "mani pedi". It takes two of them; one to hold and one to clip. Bo fusses ridiculously. Bea doesn't like it either but isn't a maniac.

Taking the time to "train" when your pup is small --- that's the way to go. But I cut my first bully's nails once and the blood bath that ensured convinced me that I don't have it in me to do. I'm happy to pay a professional to take that load off me!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Sorry I'm no help here, we can trim our guys nails, but I usually take them to a groomer here in town, I really like the way she trims the nails, she gets them shorter than I do, because I'm afraid to go too low, as Dozer has white nails on the front paws, and his back paws are black, so I can't see the quick. This same groomer also cleans and scales their teeth.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

You may need to have them done at the vet by one of the techs... or take him more often, once every two weeks and get him more use to being there and the process. ask them if you can hold him and see if that can settle him done.

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Normally, I trim my little guy after he comes back from doggie daycare. He is so dead tired that he cannot object to the nail clipping. So my suggestion, maybe get him to run around and play til he is so tired that he doesn't care what you are doing.:whistle:

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
This is kind of a cop out, but Agnes' s nails wear down to the point that I dont have to trim them because we walk on sidewalks every day.

onelove808

Sep 11, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
still thinking of a name
hello everyone this is my first reply here, so bare with me:w00t: lol... i recently bought a cordless two speed dremel online and its pretty good. i am horrible with the clippers and make my dogs really nervous, and cant even go through with clipping the nails. and if i do cut a nail or two the nail is so sharp after sharp enough to slice skin open. i have a ten week old named winnie, i wait till shes real tired and goes to sleep and she lets me do whatever i want to her. i keep the dremel on low setting and its not too loud (compared to other pet nail grinders ive had in the past). i could imagine it would be harder if she was older and i introduced the dremel.... but ya i highly recommend it! you might have to introduce it slowly though like first just let them smell it and with it off put it close to their paw... then next time turn it on and put it close to paw and so on....

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I was in Petsmart yesterday, and I was watching a groomer through the window, who was clipping a dog, and also trimming his nails, he had a cone on , the type they use after a surgery. I asked one of the groomers why he had the cone on, and she told me, they used it for dogs who might bite, or bite when getting groomed. It allows the groomer to clip and cut their fur, and to clip their nails, without the dog being able to bite the groomer. The groomer stands behind the dog, and is able to groom the dog, and the dogs face stays facing forward, and they are not able to turn their head around to bite. This may be something you or your groomer could try, and see if it works. I thought it was a great idea. Good luck. Please keep us posted and share what worked for you.

Dexterlicious

Sep 21, 2013
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
This is a 2 man job in our house. I hate clipping his nails I'm so worried ill cut the quick. My husband gets the honours, we have guillotine cutters. Main thing for me is to be calm otherwise Dexter can tell I'm nervous and he gets upset and squirms around and pulls his legs back. I try to block his view of my husband and his feet and just rub his tummy, this might sound weird but I also breath in his face, and talk slow and calm. When it's all done he gets lots of praise and cuddles.
edusapet.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Most Reactions

Members online