Seamus is being weird

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
So Seamus has been doing something super weird lately and we have no idea what is going on! He will sit down and start trying to scratch his ears or his face or try and bite his feet all the while circling around on the floor. He looks like he just can't reach it and he will get a huge red rocket while doing it. I am not sure if this is an anal gland problem or not. He has never (to our knowledge) had anal gland problems. He doesn't really scoot his butt on the ground like I have seen in videos about anal glands. It really looks like he is trying to scratch but because he is shaped like a bowling ball just can't quite reach. He will keep doing this until he ends up falling over and then will roll around on the ground for a bit.

He does this a few times a day. Its really weird! I just want to make sure he doesn't have anal gland problems. Is this common in bulldogs? Do your bullies do this?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea does this a couple of times a day. She doesn't have any gland issues either but like a lot of bullies she has an itch on her hip or butt that she just can't quite reach. Usually one of use is around when she does it and she will give us the sad face look until we scratch the spot for her and then get lots of kisses when we are done and she goes back to what she was doing.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Yeah...Dudley does it too. In fact, it has caused me to make a vow to help him lose some weight!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Harlea does this a couple of times a day. She doesn't have any gland issues either but like a lot of bullies she has an itch on her hip or butt that she just can't quite reach. Usually one of use is around when she does it and she will give us the sad face look until we scratch the spot for her and then get lots of kisses when we are done and she goes back to what she was doing.
[MENTION=4716]ccurran[/MENTION] ^^^^^ what he said! Banks does this too and at times so does Chelios (Frenchie). You should also check for any issues with the tail pocket - make sure it is clean and dry under there

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
He does this a few times a day. Its really weird! I just want to make sure he doesn't have anal gland problems. Is this common in bulldogs? Do your bullies do this?

Bo does this. He has a long tail so I know it's not the tail pocket (like it is with Bea). For Bo, its the area where the tail meets the body - it gets dry and itchy up in there. (My first bulldog had this problem also and it wasn't until she was bleeding that I figured it out at the vet. Boy did I feel like an arsehole) I also think the underside of his tail gets stuff (ok, poo) on it and gets itchy too. Regular sessions with Hypoallergenic Baby wipes - to clean - and then either Desitin or hydrocortisone cream solves the problem. Bo loves this treatment and will hold still perfectly for it so there must be some great relief in the result.

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
Forde does same thing.....it's usually a ritual first thing in the morning as soon as he gets up!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
oh yes this is a daily routine for Duke as well! usually right about when I lay down on the sofa at night and want to relax. I use a babywipe to clean his bum and that usually does the trick.. you do want to be careful though if it continues or gets worse sometimes they need their anal glands squeezed.. :blush2:

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Lol Emmitt also does this. He does it all the time!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.