Peeing in his bed.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Well Baxter continues to utterly soak his bed with urine right beneath him.

This is while he is literally 3 inches from his potty pad / 2ft x 2ft patch of grass.

This is while he's fully awake.

Any suggestions?

I have taken him out on an hourly basis. 80% of the time he doesn't go then.

I got into a conversation on the plane with a lady who has a border collie (the most intelligent dog breed) and she was just bewildered.

"Dogs are not supposed to pee in their own beds like that. I have never heard of that. He's 3 months old??".

She's correct. And there are no health problems.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have never had this problem, but from what I have read on here, everyone says to just have nothing in the crate, just a bare crate. Many on here either pee, or eat their bedding.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki did this too! We took the bed out and the peeing stopped immediately. He was probably 9 months or so before he got a blanket back into his "house" even now he balls it up in the back and doesn't use it anyways.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Baxter may be unique still lol .... he has no problem pissing all over the hard floors in my house.

Not sure he'd consider a hard crate floor any different. If anything, maybe a welcome location.

Maybe the logic here is that he will end up actually laying in a puddle of piss ... and that may deter him?

Im not sure he would care. He steps in his crap all the time. Steps in his pee all the time and tracks it around too.

It was this kind of behavior that ended him up with a huge nasty staph skin infection all on his underside, which he just finished 2 weeks of antibiotics for.

I am somewhat at a loss at this point.

I took out his bedding after this last episode today. Just to wash it though. Left him in the crate with nothing but the plastic base.

He spent the entire time looking miserable, unable to get comfortable trying to sleep. Kept standing up, looking at me. Turning in circles. Laying down. Standing up. Groaning. Circles. Laying down, etc...

he seems extremely uncomfortable now.

Last edited:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well Baxter continues to utterly soak his bed with urine right beneath him.

This is while he is literally 3 inches from his potty pad / 2ft x 2ft patch of grass.

This is while he's fully awake.

Any suggestions?

I have taken him out on an hourly basis. 80% of the time he doesn't go then.

I got into a conversation on the plane with a lady who has a border collie (the most intelligent dog breed) and she was just bewildered.

"Dogs are not supposed to pee in their own beds like that. I have never heard of that. He's 3 months old??".

She's correct. And there are no health problems.

Have you tried pee pee pads? They're like big flat diapers?

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
He'll get used to it. Tough love is the best kind sometimes. Our thoughts were if he seems uncomfortable without it then he will learn that if he is "naughty" it goes away. If he is good it comes back after time.

Last edited:
OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

I can't make this stuff up.

In the last 30 minutes since posting this he pee'd another 3 times all over the floor, just feet away from the grass patch.

10 minutes apart.

There really is no communication going on here. No awareness, no learning at all. I must be doing something wrong.

I have never seen a dog with 100% total lack of learning ability in my life before.

I really am starting to feel like a failure at this.

Have you tried pee pee pads? They're like big flat diapers?
I have tried literally everything. He will use them once, then 3 other times not use them.

He will stand there looking at me and piss where he's standing. Randomly.

He has no awareness to walk 3 feet to his grass pad. None whatsoever. Despite 3 solid weeks of training.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I can't make this stuff up.

In the last 30 minutes since posting this he pee'd another 3 times all over the floor, just feet away from the grass patch.

10 minutes apart.

There really is no communication going on here. No awareness, no learning at all. I must be doing something wrong.

I have never seen a dog with 100% total lack of learning ability in my life before.

I really am starting to feel like a failure at this.

I have tried literally everything. He will use them once, then 3 other times not use them.

He will stand there looking at me and piss where he's standing. Randomly.

He has no awareness to walk 3 feet to his grass pad. None whatsoever. Despite 3 solid weeks of training.

I do not mean to be a disappointment, but it took us nearly 16 months to house train our Frenchie.... he just will not give ANY indication he has to go. So, we had to put him (and US) on a strict schedule... out the door every hour on the hour and then slowly worked up to set times of the day and he is golden now, but he still will NOT tell us he has to go

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Honestly its a *HUGE* help to hear that others took a long time as well. But only if I hear they eventually had success.

Hope you guys dont mind me venting. Sometimes I need to write it out, to get it out of my head so I can feel better :)

Tonight I woke him up after a long slumber to take him out.
We went outside to his grass pad.
He knows he gets treats if he goes potty there.
He immediately went potty and I beamed like a proud father, giving him treats, and praising him.
I stood there saying "Any more? Go potty? Anymore?"
He just looked at me.
So I stood there longer, remembering all the online advice. Wait until they go.
Still nothing.

Still happy he went at all, I brought him back in, got him snuggled back into his crate, and closed it.
He whined a little. Then groaned a little. He wanted out.
I sat down to my computer for a minute. Let him get settled in to sleep before I leave.
A minute later I hear scratching noises.
On the hard plastic base of the crate.
Then I smell poop.
His patch of grass is in there too.
But it doesn't fill the whole area.
I turn on the light.
Yep you guessed it.
He had walked over the patch of grass, to the other side which was bare.
Then took a big crap on the plastic next to it.
I just sat there .... dumbfounded. :fie:

Not only did he not go when he was taken out.
But he walked right over the thing he knows he's supposd to go poop on,
And crapped on the floor right next to it.

This is what I mean by "feeling lost" with all of this. :confused:
Is he really that unintelligent?
I can't believe he's so cunning that he does this on purpose.
I know people make that claim about bulldogs but I am not sure I buy it.
At least not at 11 weeks.
I mean really ... walks over the grass and craps on the floor. A patch of grass 2-3 times his size.

Thats either deliberate or he's completely unaware of things.

Venting over.:(

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:potty:It took us 5 months to totally train our guys, so 11 weeks is still a little early for him to be totally trained, I find at this age we are the ones being trained on when to take them out. I found a really strict schedule is what worked for us. I'm sorry you're going through this, but I've read some tips from others on here that have helped. Some people go back to basics, and take their puppy out every hour or two, a lot of people take out all blankets and pillows as a lot of bully pups will pee on their bedding. I have never been able to give my guys blankets or pillows or stuffed animals, as they eat and shred anything soft. My guys sleep on the plastic tray, and they're fine. Maybe try removing the puppy grass pads altogether, and have him just go outside, as it may be confusing him. I've also read that some people keep their bulldog on a leash at all times in the house, and keep them close to them, so they can stop or control them from peeing in the house, they redirect them to go outside, and then praise him and give him a treat when he does go outside. He's still a little young, and he'll eventually learn. Good luck, and keep us posted on how he's doing.

this is the schedule that worked for us:

Vikinggirl
Double Pooper Scooper!!!

Re: Potty Training Tips...
For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby.

Last edited:
OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Thank you so much for the helpful words.

As you have all stated many times: Food is the key.

I started Baxter back on the food rewards for going on the grass outside.

Today he must have gone 10 times (poop) even though I only fed him twice!

But he went every single time on the grass when I took him there (every hour).

When he came inside, he sought out the grass in his crate as well.

That clearly seems to be the key. As always, its the owner who is being trained. I can't shake that feeling. And I enjoy it. Learning what works with him is key.

He did pee on the floor a couple times but with nearly 15 victories today, I didnt mind a couple mistakes :)

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

The food thing continues to work.

I swear these little piggies.

Today, for the first time (wheres the drum role and marching band?) .... he whined a little, then headed for the sliding glass door.

Then he pee'd by the door. He actually tried to go outside to his grass patch but couldn't. I was elated. That is a first for him!

Another first:

We were outside, and I waited for him to go potty. He went pee, so I turned around to come back inside.

This time he stayed outside looking at me anxiously. I said "Not coming? Okay im going back in".

I went inside and did my thing.

I then saw him turn around and go back to his grass patch.... and does a # 2 ....

Seriously wow!

Same dog who came inside and crapped 3 inches from his potty pad only three days ago.

The food reward thing truly works. And the hourly trips outside while awake.

So proud of him.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Kevin, he IS young (just keep in mind) and not to rain on your parade but with bullies
it isn't uncommon for them to finally 'get it' do wonderfully a long while then out of the
blue, regress! Not all do but don't want you to be blindsided IF it happens & think you're
doing things wrong. EB's are not dumb nor do they do things to bug us purposely, they
are just not as motivated like most dogs are to PLEASE us, they please themselves~altho
in this case, your 'lil guy is just a baby & still learning! Food IS their prime motivator so
use it :) Patience, consistency, schedules, calmness & lots of praise & love shown will work.
Becky
@JAKEISGREAT...has great experience & success with short leash attached to YOU
whenever out of the crate. Also many bullies will pee if anything other than plastic tray is
in their crates, both of the bullies I've had, a male & now, a female...will always pee if left
a cushion or towel in crate. Just hand in there, lots of EBs once potty trained stay trained!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Kevin, he IS young (just keep in mind) and not to rain on your parade but with bullies
it isn't uncommon for them to finally 'get it' do wonderfully a long while then out of the
blue, regress! Not all do but don't want you to be blindsided IF it happens & think you're
doing things wrong. EB's are not dumb nor do they do things to bug us purposely, they
are just not as motivated like most dogs are to PLEASE us, they please themselves~altho
in this case, your 'lil guy is just a baby & still learning! Food IS their prime motivator so
use it :) Patience, consistency, schedules, calmness & lots of praise & love shown will work.
Becky
@JAKEISGREAT...has great experience & success with short leash attached to YOU
whenever out of the crate. Also many bullies will pee if anything other than plastic tray is
in their crates, both of the bullies I've had, a male & now, a female...will always pee if left
a cushion or towel in crate. Just hand in there, lots of EBs once potty trained stay trained!
Yes, I have found that just when you think you've got it made, and they are potty trained-they regress for a bit. It seems like it happens about 4/5 months old. Hang in there-we (I'm guessin') have all been there!! Keep on keepin' on!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.