Newbie here, sorry if wrong area to post.. Doggie door or NO doggie door?

Patrick131

Aug 27, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Hello, getting our first Bullie in a couple of weeks when she turns 8 weeks. We are first time Bullie owners and have heard that it is not a good idea to have a doggie door available for the puppy to learn when to go outside. Since I live in New Mexico, it does get quite hot at times, and we have been told not to have the door incase she goes outside and stays out to long and gets sick even in 70 degree weather. So I assume that leaves crate training instead. Would love some suggestions on if you use a doggie door and why.. Thanks in advance

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Hello, getting our first Bullie in a couple of weeks when she turns 8 weeks. We are first time Bullie owners and have heard that it is not a good idea to have a doggie door available for the puppy to learn when to go outside. Since I live in New Mexico, it does get quite hot at times, and we have been told not to have the door incase she goes outside and stays out to long and gets sick even in 70 degree weather. So I assume that leaves crate training instead. Would love some suggestions on if you use a doggie door and why.. Thanks in advance

I'm sure it gets quite hot there with the weather like that I'd go with crate training there are a vast amount of reasons crate training is a good idea the weather being only one of them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We have a doggy door for Bacon but it was not installed until he was almost a year old. Also, he does not have free reign to the back yard. I have an outdoor kennel on the other side of the doggy door and he is limited to an 8x4ft space outside that I have misters running in so the temperature never gets above 65-70 on even the hottest days. It also has a roof, is under a second story deck, and is next to a gigantic holly bush so it is in the shade all day. Even with that being said my wife has left work early to go home on two occasion (this was before I installed the misters) because Bacon went outside and fell asleep on a hot day. We also have an outdoor webcam so we can keep an eye on him. The reason we put it in is because my wife and I work long hours and when he was younger he was not able to hold it during the day while we were at work. Now that he is older he doesn't go out to do his business while we are at work even though he can. My recommendation would be to stay away from the doggie door and crate train him if you are going to be home during the day.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I would not recommend a doggy door in your climate, as bullies *LOVE* the sun, and too much of a good thing can be deadly.
2nd, bulldogs are one of the most stolen breeds out there, your pup goes out the doogy door, into the back yard, anyone in the neighbor sees it, lord forbid *Snatch and run* (Read @Baconator 'security' post above)

I supervise both of my 'pups' (3 years and 1.5 years old) outside, they go out, do their business, and back inside after a brief time (and I live in the northeast, and a 'nice' neighborhood.)

Oh and CRATE Training all of the way, Not only does it protect the house from the pup, but IT PROTECTS THE PUP FROM THE HOUSE ! Gizmo bit through an electrical cord to the lamp, thank god it was off ! or she would of gotten a quick lesson on them!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have a doggy door, but I don't leave it open for Winston to use all the time. I'm also home during the day, and when I'm not home he is in the crate... LOL ;)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] has pointed our doggie doors are not for bullies, and they are dead on for the reasoning. We crate train all our pups and recommend it to everyone who gets a new pup. The best puppy pads to get are the cotton ones, do a search for "Breeders pads" on the net, they also have some that are reclaimed and are about $7.00 each. that's the one we buy. They are washable and the pups don't tear them up as easily as they do the paper ones, which they will eat by the way. When you take your pup outside always stay with him, this way you can watch him and bring him right back inside as soon as he is finished, unless it is cool outside and you want to play with him some outside, as they love the outdoors.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Crate train first door later. Our crazy bullies love being outside and bathing in the sun but they over heat very quickly. You have some great advise above ;)

B

Baxter Tiberius

Despite all the apparent issues I have had with Baxter "understanding" anything I try to teach him, he has absolutely no problems coming inside when he's uncomfortable, and seems very aware of where its cool and where its not. This is why I am not convinced he's lacking in smarts. He learned the doggy door literally on the first try, and remembered how to use it hours later, after only using it once. If the concern is that they'll sit outside until they fry to death, I can't picture this happening. Bulldogs immediately go for cooler areas all on their own. They aren't like frogs sitting in a slowly boiling pot :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online