Help Needed! Biting on leash during walks, escalating quickly

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Winslow is usually such an easy pup, but there is one issue that would happen occasionally, which turned to sometimes, which is quickly becoming "too often." He becomes fixated on his leash. It starts with biting it, turning to (trying to) walking it, then shaking and thrashing it, then a tantrum on the ground. I simply can't get it away from him anymore, and when I do it usually only lasts a second and I have to either give in (no!) or drag/carry him home. Neither option is a good one.

I brought this up with his trainer, who suggested that I distract him with a squeaker and reward when he lets it go. It did work, but not anymore. I tried a different harness, giving him a couple of minutes to just let it all out, pinning him til he submits, but not really with any results. It's getting so discouraging, and he is becoming more aggressive with every episode. :(

I haven't put any bad tasting stuff on his leash yet, and I wonder if that should have been my first plan of action. But at this point I kind of doubt I'd have any success. I don't know. I'm not scared of him when this happens, and I do my best not to show any frustration, but there has to be something more that I should be doing.

He's usually such an awesome walker!! He rarely pulls, he listens when I tell him to sit if someone is approaching (doesn't always remain on his bum, but he's getting there :eek:) and it's usually so enjoyable until this stuff happens toward the end of our walks.

So, recommendations, please. Different harness (or collar, if you think I need something else?), techniques, everything else I'm missing......
And if there is a video or pinned article on how to... pin/dominate your dog, I'd like to see that, too. I'm afraid to Google or search on YouTube for that, as I'm sure there are many methods, but at this point I'd like to go with whatever works for you.

I'm off to buy at least one of the recommended books and a new (okay cheap!) leash.

(also. I'm sorry this is so scattered and rambling! Yesterday I was feeling so bummed about all this, and started putting a lot of pieces together. I think he's at that "Yeah I'll show you who's the alpha!" stage. He never jumped on the couch til this week, which is when his leash thing really began to escalate. He whines a lot more when he's crated during dinner. Couple other things like that, which to me anyway, look like a struggle to be at or above our level. Thoughts?)

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Well, I bought two of the books from the list, Being the Pack Leader and Cesar's Rules. Anxious to get my nose in those but I wonder when that'll happen!

Suggestions, anyone, for this desperate gal?

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Well, I bought two of the books from the list, Being the Pack Leader and Cesar's Rules. Anxious to get my nose in those but I wonder when that'll happen!

Hello,

Others will come along with other adivce as well.

Here's mine:
There is too much excitment about being on the leash. To reduce that anxiety, spend time INSIDE the house with the leash on. All of my dogs are constantly trained with a leash INSIDE the house so that when we go OUTSIDE it reduces the anxiety of having the leash ON>

Most dogs that see the leash know that it is time to go outside or go for a car ride. By keeping the leash just around the general area, walking around with the leash in your hand and walking around IN the house, this will reduce the anxiety. Also much better to try and control behavior inside than outside.

Lots of patience will be needed. If your dog does this inside with the leash on, simply wait it out. You need to have the time to just sit and wait. Don't reward by moving on. Wait until the behavior is ended, reward, then move on.

A walking harness tha clips to the back is much better. The leash can be shortened up so that the dog can not get the actual leash in the mouth.

Be patient, don't get upset or mad because the emotion will show in your bdoy language and through the leash.

Good Day~

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Hello,

Others will come along with other adivce as well.

Here's mine:
There is too much excitment about being on the leash. To reduce that anxiety, spend time INSIDE the house with the leash on. All of my dogs are constantly trained with a leash INSIDE the house so that when we go OUTSIDE it reduces the anxiety of having the leash ON>

Most dogs that see the leash know that it is time to go outside or go for a car ride. By keeping the leash just around the general area, walking around with the leash in your hand and walking around IN the house, this will reduce the anxiety. Also much better to try and control behavior inside than outside.

Lots of patience will be needed. If your dog does this inside with the leash on, simply wait it out. You need to have the time to just sit and wait. Don't reward by moving on. Wait until the behavior is ended, reward, then move on.

A walking harness tha clips to the back is much better. The leash can be shortened up so that the dog can not get the actual leash in the mouth.

Be patient, don't get upset or mad because the emotion will show in your bdoy language and through the leash.

Good Day~

Thanks so much for your response and advice!
I think that I will start using the leash inside, since as of yesterday, this behavior is happening inside when it used to be only toward the end of our walks.
When you said to wait it out when he starts this inside, do you mean just let him carry on until he lets it go (and then reward)? Or should I be intervening somehow?

Do you have an opinion on using a clicker for this? I saw a few videos where they stopped the dogs from biting/playing with the leash using one. It will be a new introduction but I've been wanting to use one anyway.

Also, someone had recommended using a martingale collar rather than a harness, since he can always seem to get back there. Apparently he's agile for the clumsy chunk he is :p Thoughts on that too?

All the questions are now dumped on you!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello,

"Thanks so much for your response and advice!
I think that I will start using the leash inside, since as of yesterday, this behavior is happening inside when it used to be only toward the end of our walks.
When you said to wait it out when he starts this inside, do you mean just let him carry on until he lets it go (and then reward)? Or should I be intervening somehow? Yes and no. Letting him get away with chewing and carrying on with the leash is unaccepatable. Correct him, as many times as is neccessary to get him to stop. He will keep trying it over and over. YOU have to have MORE patience than him.

Do you have an opinion on using a clicker for this? I saw a few videos where they stopped the dogs from biting/playing with the leash using one. It will be a new introduction but I've been wanting to use one anyway. I would suggest waiting on using a clicker for now. Keep it for later when you want to introduce a new behavior, rather than to avoid a behavior. The words "no" and the correction of taking away the leash will work. You just have to keep doing it as many time as is necessary. One critical word about behavior training: "always end on a positive event". Any animal behavior changes need enough time for the desired outcome and end on the correct behavior. Once you get the desired result. STOP. Wait to try it again for the next time. REWARD with PRAISE !!!!! a few treats is ok at the end.

Also, someone had recommended using a martingale collar rather than a harness, since he can always seem to get back there. Apparently he's agile for the clumsy chunk he is :p Thoughts on that too? Again, teaching to NOT do the action. I use the martingale with chain for training. The ZIP sound of the chain helps and it doesn't put any pressure on the throat. Do not use this as a choke chain !

All the questions are now dumped on you!

I have been involved in training Arab horse for over 25 years. THEY are stubborn.

Good Day~

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
That makes sense about the clicker.

Was that a no on the collar? No I absolutely wouldn't use this as a choke, but maybe it would serve in keeping him from reaching back to bite? I'm not saying that's how I want to correct him, just trying to weigh everything out I guess.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello,

Yes on the martingale collar with a zip chain. Keep leash short and above his back to prevent from reaching.

Good Day~

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Thank you both! I picked up a new collar today and we've been working on using the leash in the house, putting our usual longer walks on hold for now. We'll get there, but I think "starting over" on the leash is what we need right now. At least I hope so!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

A few months ago, my neighbor convinced me that this little brown dog was lost in our neighborhood. Off we went with my leash. The dog was VERY fearful and putting a leash on it took a lot of time and patience. (Sitting sideways, not looking at the dog at all, calm) And when I finally did, I walked him around the park to see if we could find his owners. We did eventually and the owners could not BELIEVE that this dog walked on a leash. Well he did. All around the neighborhood with me. (I tried to find the post...but I can't)

At first, the threw a king size fit but I just waited it out. Back to him. When he'd stop for a minute, we'd move forward. And so it went for a block or so. Eventually, he figured out that I wasn't giving up and nothing badk was happening AND he'd spent all his energy flopping around like a fish out of water - and so the only choice was to move forward. Which he did.

Don't give up. The Walk is your best opportunity to show leadership with your dog.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing that :)
Giving him the time he needs is what I'm trying to work on. When it started I was so hasty in saying, "Nope. You're being a turd, walk is over, pack it up." I'd try to rush back into the house and it was working against me sooo much.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You've been given awesome advice.... best of luck and keep us posted

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
To anyone who might be interested, we are doing so much better! Last night we took a 15 minute walk around our street with no issues, and this morning and last night about 25 minutes with one bite each, both of which quickly and easily corrected. And a Rrrrruf! at a bucket haha, that was greatly concerning to him. :p

It is such a huge relief. His listening on walks has been great too, it's so wonderful that he will turn and look for my instruction when I stop or tell him to wait.

Of course the bad behavior seems to have been redirected to the couch. That's our new daily battle.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with help or encouragement!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
To anyone who might be interested, we are doing so much better! Last night we took a 15 minute walk around our street with no issues, and this morning and last night about 25 minutes with one bite each, both of which quickly and easily corrected. And a Rrrrruf! at a bucket haha, that was greatly concerning to him. :p

It is such a huge relief. His listening on walks has been great too, it's so wonderful that he will turn and look for my instruction when I stop or tell him to wait.

Of course the bad behavior seems to have been redirected to the couch. That's our new daily battle.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with help or encouragement!

Great progress.... Remember, bay steps and keep us posted!

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Great progress.... Remember, bay steps and keep us posted!

Thanks! Last night was the longest walk we had done for a LONG time. At home anyway, if he had new surroundings we could go longer. But we worked up to this and I plan to keep it going. Finally put it all together that you walk BEFORE they eat, that way they've got a reason to keep moving!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.