Real Name
    AJ
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ozzy
    Likes (Received)

Default First time EB owner

I recently (2 days ago) rescued a 4 year old English Bulldog with little background history. I'm experienced with every animal under the sun but this is the first time ever owning a bulldog. He's very mellow and obiendient and I'd say a perfect dog except for when I just gave him a squeaky toy I bought for him. A switch flipped and he started growling and carrying it around in his mouth. He would let me near him and I felt like he was going to eat me alive.
    Finally he dropped it and I threw it in the trash. I've seen other members talk about pinning and being the pack leader but how do I do this without losing an arm or my face?
    He's been so sweet and I want this to work and be successful. Any advice would be very very welcome. Thanks!

Country
    canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    samantha and brodie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: First time EB owner

We have 2 bullies and they play rough, how long have u owned this one, and maybe try the toy again, they love to play and play rough, enough your bully, they are the love of our lives

Country
    canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    samantha and brodie
    Likes (Received)

p.s. im the pack leader, husband isn't good luck again

Real Name
    AJ
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ozzy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by samantha2011 View Post
    We have 2 bullies and they play rough, how long have u owned this one, and maybe try the toy again, they love to play and play rough, enough your bully, they are the love of our lives
    Just a couple days. I need some time to let him adjust before I try that again lol

AJ

AJ

Real Name
    AJ
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ozzy
    Likes (Received)

I just told Ozzy that I'm the pack leader and he gave me this look:

AJ

AJ

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hahaha! I guess according to Ozzy you are not now ;-))))
    Bullies love rough play -give him time :-))
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Aww, Ozzy is adorable I don't have experience with aggressiveness when it comes to toys but I think maybe he just needs a little time and eventually he will realize he doesn't have to be possessive over the toy? Who knows what his life was like before... so glad you saved him Used to have a dog trainer helping us in the past and he says aggressive behavior is one of the easiest things to sort out... he's a pack leader though, and I'm not so I kind of disagree, lol, but I'm sure if you just keep showing him you're the leader he will get over it

Here is advice our trainer gave me to avoid possessiveness:

When feeding, you decide when he's allowed to start eating. My dogs were puppies when I started with this so then it's easier and less scary if there is a problem but this is what I did... I made my dog sit and then they have to look me in the eyes and wait for my signal before they can eat. Also while they're eating I could at any point tell them to stop eating and sit back again, and then again wait for my signal to continue eating. The same thing goes for toys... I totally understand if you don't want to get in there messing with him if he growls, I wouldn't either. This is just me thinking but how about when he has his toy distract him with a treat and take it while he eats the treat and then give toy back... and distract with treat and give toy back... I don't know... maybe he'll see he gets it back and that he gets treat if he gives it up?

I hope you'll find a way and I'm sure more experienced people will come along to give you advice. Good luck, and again, he's a cutie<3
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

It sounds to me your describing an EB through and through - they play rough - if I hadn't gotten Otis when he was a puppy I would have been scared to - we call him "The Lion" when he plays because he sounds so ferocious when really he is a pussycat with really big sound. He growls and snarls, shakes his head, runs at you full speed (into you, no stopping) it's just how he plays. Scared the crap out of some company we had not to long ago because they have never seen or heard such a thing. I would say if he is good in every other way that it's just him being him.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Oh Ozzy is too cute! I totally know how you feel - I am a first time bully owner of my 8 month old Brutus and although we have spent a month together, it is too short of time for us to learn each others ways. I am going to test out whether or not Brutus plays rougher with squeaky toys. For now I'm only going to share chewing toys and see if there's a difference.

As for showing him that you are the leader, I've read that the association with food is the strongest indicator that you are the one who will feed him, so you are his leader. I'm sure it's daunting to mess with his food since he's older, but maybe you can try feeding him handfuls from your palm, and having him sit and wait as you grab more. My biggest lesson so far with everything about Brutus (and life ) is that patience (aka stubborness) love, time, and consistency can make a world's difference. Start slowly and be confident!

Real Name
    AJ
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ozzy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone! One of the rescues I work with just sent me some behaviorist referrals. I think getting him evaluated and learning some techniques is going to make us better together. He's an amazing dog. If there was ever a dog made just for me he is it. Lazy and food motivated. We are a match made in heaven lol

AJ

AJ

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

He is a handsome boy for sure. He may just be playing and sometimes they can get pretty load, but harmless, but there is those that will get toy aggressive. That just takes time and patience to stop. If you do not know how to pin a bully, I wouldn't try it, because if not done correctly, can do more harm than good. Diva will growl sometimes if we try to take a toy from her, and I just grab her by the side of her neck, tell her NO, and take the toy away from her. So give him some time to settle into his home and just work with him. My Buddy boy would get load and growl when playing, but I could take any toy away from him and he would let me, with no problem.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Country
    canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    samantha and brodie
    Likes (Received)

how is it going, are they playing nice now ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads