First time EB owner

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Bay Area, Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
I recently (2 days ago) rescued a 4 year old English Bulldog with little background history. I'm experienced with every animal under the sun but this is the first time ever owning a bulldog. He's very mellow and obiendient and I'd say a perfect dog except for when I just gave him a squeaky toy I bought for him. A switch flipped and he started growling and carrying it around in his mouth. He would let me near him and I felt like he was going to eat me alive.
Finally he dropped it and I threw it in the trash. I've seen other members talk about pinning and being the pack leader but how do I do this without losing an arm or my face?
He's been so sweet and I want this to work and be successful. Any advice would be very very welcome. Thanks!

samantha2011

Jan 15, 2013
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
samantha and brodie
We have 2 bullies and they play rough, how long have u owned this one, and maybe try the toy again, they love to play and play rough, enough your bully, they are the love of our lives

samantha2011

Jan 15, 2013
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
samantha and brodie
p.s. im the pack leader, husband isn't good luck again

OP
AJnSJ

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
We have 2 bullies and they play rough, how long have u owned this one, and maybe try the toy again, they love to play and play rough, enough your bully, they are the love of our lives

Just a couple days. I need some time to let him adjust before I try that again lol

AJ

OP
AJnSJ

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
I just told Ozzy that I'm the pack leader and he gave me this look:
yqybudu9.jpg

AJ

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hahaha! I guess according to Ozzy you are not now ;-))))
Bullies love rough play -give him time :-))

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Aww, Ozzy is adorable:) I don't have experience with aggressiveness when it comes to toys but I think maybe he just needs a little time and eventually he will realize he doesn't have to be possessive over the toy? Who knows what his life was like before... so glad you saved him:hug: Used to have a dog trainer helping us in the past and he says aggressive behavior is one of the easiest things to sort out... he's a pack leader though, and I'm not so I kind of disagree, lol, but I'm sure if you just keep showing him you're the leader he will get over it:)

Here is advice our trainer gave me to avoid possessiveness:

When feeding, you decide when he's allowed to start eating. My dogs were puppies when I started with this so then it's easier and less scary if there is a problem but this is what I did... I made my dog sit and then they have to look me in the eyes and wait for my signal before they can eat. Also while they're eating I could at any point tell them to stop eating and sit back again, and then again wait for my signal to continue eating. The same thing goes for toys... I totally understand if you don't want to get in there messing with him if he growls, I wouldn't either. This is just me thinking but how about when he has his toy distract him with a treat and take it while he eats the treat and then give toy back... and distract with treat and give toy back... I don't know... maybe he'll see he gets it back and that he gets treat if he gives it up?

I hope you'll find a way:) and I'm sure more experienced people will come along to give you advice. Good luck, and again, he's a cutie<3

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
It sounds to me your describing an EB through and through - they play rough - if I hadn't gotten Otis when he was a puppy I would have been scared to - we call him "The Lion" when he plays because he sounds so ferocious when really he is a pussycat with really big sound. He growls and snarls, shakes his head, runs at you full speed (into you, no stopping) it's just how he plays. Scared the crap out of some company we had not to long ago because they have never seen or heard such a thing. I would say if he is good in every other way that it's just him being him.

mommaofbrutus

Aug 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Oh Ozzy is too cute! I totally know how you feel - I am a first time bully owner of my 8 month old Brutus and although we have spent a month together, it is too short of time for us to learn each others ways. I am going to test out whether or not Brutus plays rougher with squeaky toys. For now I'm only going to share chewing toys and see if there's a difference.

As for showing him that you are the leader, I've read that the association with food is the strongest indicator that you are the one who will feed him, so you are his leader. I'm sure it's daunting to mess with his food since he's older, but maybe you can try feeding him handfuls from your palm, and having him sit and wait as you grab more. My biggest lesson so far with everything about Brutus (and life :p) is that patience (aka stubborness) love, time, and consistency can make a world's difference. Start slowly and be confident!

OP
AJnSJ

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
Thanks everyone! One of the rescues I work with just sent me some behaviorist referrals. I think getting him evaluated and learning some techniques is going to make us better together. He's an amazing dog. If there was ever a dog made just for me he is it. Lazy and food motivated. We are a match made in heaven lol
y2u6u3ap.jpg

AJ

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He is a handsome boy for sure. He may just be playing and sometimes they can get pretty load, but harmless, but there is those that will get toy aggressive. That just takes time and patience to stop. If you do not know how to pin a bully, I wouldn't try it, because if not done correctly, can do more harm than good. Diva will growl sometimes if we try to take a toy from her, and I just grab her by the side of her neck, tell her NO, and take the toy away from her. So give him some time to settle into his home and just work with him. My Buddy boy would get load and growl when playing, but I could take any toy away from him and he would let me, with no problem.

samantha2011

Jan 15, 2013
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
samantha and brodie
how is it going, are they playing nice now ??

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Awww what a handsome little fella! He may have not had any previous training and might not be sure the correct way to play! He may have some trust issues also so I would take it one day at a time and if you have a trainer that would be a big help! Brutus cannot play with other dogs b/c he is used to bullying Chanel around and she takes it but most other dogs wont! lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I just told Ozzy that I'm the pack leader and he gave me this look:
yqybudu9.jpg

AJ

:rofl: what a great stinkeye picture give him more time to adjust, but definitely get soe training classes. Basic obedience classes will be a great start... he may not know how to play and think that everything is HIS and start protecting. Since you do not really know much history, be smart and safe and get the proper training before trying to do any type of pinning/submitting

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Training is always the best answer for behavior issues, however, try to find a trainer that has worked with bulldogs. They are a special breed and as evidenced by all the threads on this site with various bully " issues" they are pretty much made out of the same mold. Hopefully you will find someone who understands that! That said, bullies can be very verbal. Bogey gets very " loud" when playing with his toys, and if we start tugging, the growl gets louder. I only let him play tug with another dog, but if he gets too verbal, the play is over. I have asked guests not to tug with him- he gets too riled up. But he has NEVER shown one iota of aggression anywhere else, so I know it's just rough play. Can you approach his food while he is eating without a growl or guarding? That's a good test for his personality. And I think since you got him as an adult, it is good to have the eval. Just love his stink eye picture!! He is screaming " yeah right, I'll let her THINK she's the boss!" Good luck!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.