Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
squeaky will send them over the edge for some dogs . Lets us know how things go

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I have noticed with my 17mo old that he has certainly calmed down as he is growing, but he plays rough...period - rough sounding that is and will run directly into you while playing. I posted earlier that we call him "The Lion" as he sounds so ferocious but he is the sweetest bully. He doesn't play fetch all that well, he does for a little bit but his favorites are "catch me if you can", "chase me", and "get it from me" all the while he is growling and snarling and shaking his head. He wants me to get that ball out of his mouth, not to throw it but to go round and round until he's exhausted. As I said earlier too, if I didn't know him from a puppy (which he still is) until now I would be out right terrified. It's just how he is.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
the gang has you covered with some great advice.... please keep us posted

Bbbimaj

Jul 25, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
I had the same issue with my baby, Boss. We have a trainer that comes to our house. She has taught us to stand straight up, very still, do not move your feet at all (we had to keep shoes on in the house for about a week, it's very hard to keep still with those sharpies digging in!) chin up, and make a growl noise, do not look at him, your should have very stern stance.... Say the word bah, but like a growl in your throat. As soon as he stops, you praise him with a good boy. It took about a week of constantly doing this, but it was worth it. He doesn't bite at our feet anymore! Good luck!:bulldog:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=9501]mommaofbrutus[/MENTION] - submitting your dog or pinning him as you've said will work but making sure it's done in the correct way makes all the difference in the world ... when a dog truly submits he/she will remain in the submitted position without being held or touched in any way and will only get up when told it's ok, your energy plays a big role in this! if you are calm & assertive when submitting, your dog realizes this is a correction and not anger, if you are angry when you try to submit your dog it will have that fight or flight response ... so when Brutus starts to get worked up give a sharp "ATAT" type sound (distraction is a great training tool) you can snap him out of it before he gets to the out of control moment ... my 3 now have learned to stop what ever it is they are doing by simply using sound aversion, if I say ATAT or clap my hands their little butts hit the floor and wait for more instruction. I am a firm believer in Cesar Milan's Calm Assertive Energy when training my troops and I also use positive reinforcement, for the most part my 3 are very well balanced but like anyone who has a bulldog they have their moments but with the right attitude from me and 100% consistency in their rules, boundaries and limitations we can get back on track very easy after a misstep ;)

I 100% believe using Calm Assertive Energy, setting firm Rules, Boundaries & Limitations and always being Consistent our dogs are more comfortable and confident :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I had the same issue with my baby, Boss. We have a trainer that comes to our house. She has taught us to stand straight up, very still, do not move your feet at all (we had to keep shoes on in the house for about a week, it's very hard to keep still with those sharpies digging in!) chin up, and make a growl noise, do not look at him, your should have very stern stance.... Say the word bah, but like a growl in your throat. As soon as he stops, you praise him with a good boy. It took about a week of constantly doing this, but it was worth it. He doesn't bite at our feet anymore! Good luck!:bulldog:

This is a great example of "its not WHAT you say...it's HOW you say it" - with calm assertive energy.

[MENTION=9501]mommaofbrutus[/MENTION] - submitting your dog or pinning him as you've said will work but making sure it's done in the correct way makes all the difference in the world ... when a dog truly submits he/she will remain in the submitted position without being held or touched in any way and will only get up when told it's ok, your energy plays a big role in this! if you are calm & assertive when submitting, your dog realizes this is a correction and not anger, if you are angry when you try to submit your dog it will have that fight or flight response ... so when Brutus starts to get worked up give a sharp "ATAT" type sound (distraction is a great training tool) you can snap him out of it before he gets to the out of control moment ... my 3 now have learned to stop what ever it is they are doing by simply using sound aversion, if I say ATAT or clap my hands their little butts hit the floor and wait for more instruction. I am a firm believer in Cesar Milan's Calm Assertive Energy when training my troops and I also use positive reinforcement, for the most part my 3 are very well balanced but like anyone who has a bulldog they have their moments but with the right attitude from me and 100% consistency in their rules, boundaries and limitations we can get back on track very easy after a misstep ;)

I 100% believe using Calm Assertive Energy, setting firm Rules, Boundaries & Limitations and always being Consistent our dogs are more comfortable and confident :)

:goodpost:

Members online

No members online now.