Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sweet boy but gets aggressive dominant

Is he neutered? will he play fetch when he's all wound up? have you tried putting his leash on?

I have used the pin method, but only in the case where I want him/her to submit to another dog. This way they accept other dogs to sniff them. I can't tell you the last time I pinned one of my dogs.

A tired dog is a good dog. I would first try to get him distracted with food or exercise.
    I'm hoping he doesn't become aggressive unintentionally
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Pet Sitter
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Luca Brasi
    Likes (Received)

I hold Luca in the down position when he gets too worked up and gets too rough. Usually hold him by the scruff of his neck and his hips and he knows this means he's being "shut down". It kinda neutralizes him; putting him into a submissive state. It works but only if you remain calm before, durring and after

If my dog doesn't doesnt go to heaven then neither am I.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    Is he neutered? will he play fetch when he's all wound up? have you tried putting his leash on?

I have used the pin method, but only in the case where I want him/her to submit to another dog. This way they accept other dogs to sniff them. I can't tell you the last time I pinned one of my dogs.

A tired dog is a good dog. I would first try to get him distracted with food or exercise.
    I'm hoping he doesn't become aggressive unintentionally

He just got neutered yesterday, so with the cone on he was easily redirected when he got too energetic and I had to calm him down.Prior to his surgery, he will not play fetch. If we take the toy, he engages in tug of war. We don't want that so we immediately stop and don't bother grabbing the toys from him anymore - hence what I mean by us not being able to play with him.

i have made an observation though. I'm thinking his toys which are stuffed animals that squeak is getting him really worked up and perhaps is setting his instincts to go into overdrive. I will give him chewing bones and ropes for the next few days and see if that makes a difference.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

squeaky will send them over the edge for some dogs . Lets us know how things go
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

I have noticed with my 17mo old that he has certainly calmed down as he is growing, but he plays rough...period - rough sounding that is and will run directly into you while playing. I posted earlier that we call him "The Lion" as he sounds so ferocious but he is the sweetest bully. He doesn't play fetch all that well, he does for a little bit but his favorites are "catch me if you can", "chase me", and "get it from me" all the while he is growling and snarling and shaking his head. He wants me to get that ball out of his mouth, not to throw it but to go round and round until he's exhausted. As I said earlier too, if I didn't know him from a puppy (which he still is) until now I would be out right terrified. It's just how he is.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

the gang has you covered with some great advice.... please keep us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boss
    Likes (Received)

I had the same issue with my baby, Boss. We have a trainer that comes to our house. She has taught us to stand straight up, very still, do not move your feet at all (we had to keep shoes on in the house for about a week, it's very hard to keep still with those sharpies digging in!) chin up, and make a growl noise, do not look at him, your should have very stern stance.... Say the word bah, but like a growl in your throat. As soon as he stops, you praise him with a good boy. It took about a week of constantly doing this, but it was worth it. He doesn't bite at our feet anymore! Good luck!

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@mommaofbrutus - submitting your dog or pinning him as you've said will work but making sure it's done in the correct way makes all the difference in the world ... when a dog truly submits he/she will remain in the submitted position without being held or touched in any way and will only get up when told it's ok, your energy plays a big role in this! if you are calm & assertive when submitting, your dog realizes this is a correction and not anger, if you are angry when you try to submit your dog it will have that fight or flight response ... so when Brutus starts to get worked up give a sharp "ATAT" type sound (distraction is a great training tool) you can snap him out of it before he gets to the out of control moment ... my 3 now have learned to stop what ever it is they are doing by simply using sound aversion, if I say ATAT or clap my hands their little butts hit the floor and wait for more instruction. I am a firm believer in Cesar Milan's Calm Assertive Energy when training my troops and I also use positive reinforcement, for the most part my 3 are very well balanced but like anyone who has a bulldog they have their moments but with the right attitude from me and 100% consistency in their rules, boundaries and limitations we can get back on track very easy after a misstep

I 100% believe using Calm Assertive Energy, setting firm Rules, Boundaries & Limitations and always being Consistent our dogs are more comfortable and confident
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bbbimaj View Post
    I had the same issue with my baby, Boss. We have a trainer that comes to our house. She has taught us to stand straight up, very still, do not move your feet at all (we had to keep shoes on in the house for about a week, it's very hard to keep still with those sharpies digging in!) chin up, and make a growl noise, do not look at him, your should have very stern stance.... Say the word bah, but like a growl in your throat. As soon as he stops, you praise him with a good boy. It took about a week of constantly doing this, but it was worth it. He doesn't bite at our feet anymore! Good luck!
    This is a great example of "its not WHAT you say...it's HOW you say it" - with calm assertive energy.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs4me View Post
    @mommaofbrutus - submitting your dog or pinning him as you've said will work but making sure it's done in the correct way makes all the difference in the world ... when a dog truly submits he/she will remain in the submitted position without being held or touched in any way and will only get up when told it's ok, your energy plays a big role in this! if you are calm & assertive when submitting, your dog realizes this is a correction and not anger, if you are angry when you try to submit your dog it will have that fight or flight response ... so when Brutus starts to get worked up give a sharp "ATAT" type sound (distraction is a great training tool) you can snap him out of it before he gets to the out of control moment ... my 3 now have learned to stop what ever it is they are doing by simply using sound aversion, if I say ATAT or clap my hands their little butts hit the floor and wait for more instruction. I am a firm believer in Cesar Milan's Calm Assertive Energy when training my troops and I also use positive reinforcement, for the most part my 3 are very well balanced but like anyone who has a bulldog they have their moments but with the right attitude from me and 100% consistency in their rules, boundaries and limitations we can get back on track very easy after a misstep

I 100% believe using Calm Assertive Energy, setting firm Rules, Boundaries & Limitations and always being Consistent our dogs are more comfortable and confident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads