Drop it command

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Ok so I need to teach Tubby the drop it command. Tubby is OBSESSED with balls. We keep 2 on the balcony to play with but they are strictly balcony balls, they are not allowed in the house. It is a night mare trying to get the ball away from him when it's time to come inside. He will even open the screen door with his face and take his ball in the house. This then turns into a fun game for Tubbs of keep away.

My question to you guys is how do I do go about trying to teach him to drop it? I know food is going to play a huge roll in this but I just don't know how to go about it.:confused:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yeah good luck with that one. Lol. No seriously, the only thing that works for us is to offer a treat, we usually keep the milk bone minis, and I break them in half, or a couple of pieces of their kibble. Or you could try diverting his attention with another toy. Or if all else fails, lock the balcony. Lol

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
High value treat -when he got a ball in his mouth say drop it and show him a treat when he drop the ball to get the treat i usually say drop it again (just to make sure) and then give him a lot of praise , then start the process all over again-make him interested in his toys (more likely he wont take it as he will be waiting for the treat) but as soon as he grab it -give him command drop it -offer a treat as soon as he drop the toy
Hope this help xsorry i g

Last edited:
OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
High value treat -when he got a ball in his mouth say drop it and show him a treat when he drop the ball to treat the treat i usually say drop it again (just to make sure) and then give him a lot of praise , then start the process all over again-make him intreated in his toys (more likely he wont take it as he will be waiting for the treat) but as soon as he grab it -give him command drop it -offer a treat as soon as he drop the toy
Hope this help x

I will try this.

My concern is when he has the ball in his mouth and you get close to him he runs. Will the treat entice him to stay put?

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lure him slowly and don't try to catch him -this will never work -especially if you want to teach him to play fetch ;-)
It worked on my deaf girl im pretty sure it will work on a bullie ;-) time and patience

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
High value treat -when he got a ball in his mouth say drop it and show him a treat when he drop the ball to treat the treat i usually say drop it again (just to make sure) and then give him a lot of praise , then start the process all over again-make him intreated in his toys (more likely he wont take it as he will be waiting for the treat) but as soon as he grab it -give him command drop it -offer a treat as soon as he drop the toy
Hope this help x

^^^^^^ EXACTLY!!!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
thinking I would have better luck inviting a stripper out for a Happy meal at McDonalds than to get Rocky or Rambo either one trained to drop anything they deem valuable enough to chew. Rocky had a piece of floor moulding the other day, that he and Rambo decided to break in half and share..... I'm working with Rocky to give it up, while rambo runs me over to play keep away with his, so I holler for Rambo to drop it, and Rocky wants to play keep away, thinking they value moulding as a high value treat.....

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Hope this help x

This is the correct method as stated above and the one we learned from our trainer. You could begin with a tug toy instead of a ball, play tug of war and then place the treat next to his nose and say "drop" or "drop it" he will release the toy, give the treat and praise and then repeat for a few times, not to many times per session, better several short sessions to a long session. Then hopefully the drop it command will transfer not only to the balls but any object

BellaBullyBoo

Aug 15, 2013
Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
All great advice. One more suggestion since he loves his ball so much, you can use both of them. When he has one on lockdown you can show him the other one in your hand. While showing him the other ball tell him to drop it. Once or if he does either give him or throw the other ball. Maybe you can teach him the drop it command while showing him that playing fetch is better than keep away. Hope this helps for you.

Angie1969

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
I have the same problem with Taz, I've tried, drop it, let go,give. All that seems to work are treats. Maybe one day?.

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
I have the same problem with Taz, I've tried, drop it, let go,give. All that seems to work are treats. Maybe one day?.

Keep at it eventually it will be in his blood -like a muscle memory ;-) and then you will stop giving him treats ;-)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.