Goes crazy at the door bell

IsabellaBulldog

Aug 22, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Isabella
Our English Bulldog Isabella has been going crazy at the doorbell for a while now, Every time it rings she races to the door and barks, when we Open the door she goes nuts greeting who ever is behind the door so jumping on them and almost knocking them down, it scares people and is kinda embarrassing,stressful and over whelming, So we have to hold her back while someone else opens the door. It's a Pain worrying about the dog when the door bell rings. Any Opinions or suggestions as to what we can do about this would be helpful and appreciated.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well you can leash her and get someone to ring the bell. When she goes crazy, tell her NO, and make her sit and stay seated when they come in. It will take some time and patience, but just work with her everyday and several times a day until she gets it. When they come in, tell them to not look at her and walk past her. Once she calms down, then she can get their attention.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I am dealing with this myself although he does listen sometimes when I tell him to get down but it would be nice for little kids to be able to come over and not get knocked down with butt wiggles.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Well you can leash her and get someone to ring the bell. When she goes crazy, tell her NO, and make her sit and stay seated when they come in. It will take some time and patience, but just work with her everyday and several times a day until she gets it. When they come in, tell them to not look at her and walk past her. Once she calms down, then she can get their attention.

This is exactly what we did with brutus. He would try to get out the door whenever anyone would open it. we leashed him and told him "wait" and now he does. It takes some time but it really works. It is the same thing with the doorbell. Just have someone on the other side and when it rings make him sit and wait and when he does he gets a treat. good luck

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so glad you brought this up... Winston is driving us crazy!!! Time to start the door training... Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
And to think we were thrilled this week when Mabel ran to the door for the first time when the doorbell rang! What's funny is we have a wireless doorbell that is the same frequency as the house across the street, so anytime someone rings her bell, ours rings too. Mabel couldn't quite figure out why there was no one on the porch when "she" answered the door!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace

Good advice, I am going to work on this, Ace has just started this behavior too but he doesn't bark but has started jumping on folks when they come in, it doesn't help that the little maltese goes nuts too and runs around from the window to the door yapping the entire time. It just builds the excitement up till they can't contain themselves. Regardless what they maltese does I would like to train Ace to ignore it and stay relatively calm in the process, it seems a tall order and makes it more difficult but I almost don't have any other choice, the maltese can do no wrong if you get my drift

OP
IsabellaBulldog

IsabellaBulldog

Aug 22, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Isabella
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Glad to see Isabella isn't the only bulldog to do this! I now go outside and ring the door bell while some one opens the door, poor Isabella looks so confused as she looks at me then walks passed trying to look for who actually rang the door bell.

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Good advice, I am going to work on this, Ace has just started this behavior too but he doesn't bark but has started jumping on folks when they come in, it doesn't help that the little maltese goes nuts too and runs around from the window to the door yapping the entire time. It just builds the excitement up till they can't contain themselves. Regardless what they maltese does I would like to train Ace to ignore it and stay relatively calm in the process, it seems a tall order and makes it more difficult but I almost don't have any other choice, the maltese can do no wrong if you get my drift

Tea cup yorkie I'm in the same boat

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Tea cup yorkie I'm in the same boat

Don't get me wrong I love the little maltese too, my wife got the little boy for a christmas present to herself 3 years ago. I didn't object because I love all dogs. My daughter has a maltese and my wife fell in love with it and wanted her own. But it got too spoiled and could do no wrong regardless my suggestions on some obedience. Because I have always preferred the bully breeds, having and AmStaff and APBT in the past I then, because I realized all I had missed by not having those dogs beside me all the time as an inside dog, I wanted another bully to recover and in some way make amends. I was raised old school and all dogs were outside dogs. And so I raised my Amstaff and pit bull outside but then with the maltese realized all I missed. Ace is with me constantly when I am at home and sleeps in his crate on my side of the bed. I wouldn't have it any other way now. But of course the maltese has managed over time to sleep in the bed. He should be in his crate too but that's a different subject that I probably shouldn't get into. Ace doesn't mind it seems, he gets in his crate and will just sit there until I get in bed and watch me till the light goes out and I can hear him then circle and lay down and start snoring. Again I like the maltese, he is hyper, has security issues and etc but he made his way into my heart as well. But with Ace its different. He is my devoted friend and there is,without sounding too weird there is a bonding of the souls with me. It's difficult to describe but I am sure many in the forum can relate. Could I say he is "almost" like my child? There is a closeness between us and its evident to any who are around us, that any lover of dogs could relate too.

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Don't get me wrong I love the little maltese too, my wife got the little boy for a christmas present to herself 3 years ago. I didn't object because I love all dogs. My daughter has a maltese and my wife fell in love with it and wanted her own. But it got too spoiled and could do no wrong regardless my suggestions on some obedience. Because I have always preferred the bully breeds, having and AmStaff and APBT in the past I then, because I realized all I had missed by not having those dogs beside me all the time as an inside dog, I wanted another bully to recover and in some way make amends. I was raised old school and all dogs were outside dogs. And so I raised my Amstaff and pit bull outside but then with the maltese realized all I missed. Ace is with me constantly when I am at home and sleeps in his crate on my side of the bed. I wouldn't have it any other way now. But of course the maltese has managed over time to sleep in the bed. He should be in his crate too but that's a different subject that I probably shouldn't get into. Ace doesn't mind it seems, he gets in his crate and will just sit there until I get in bed and watch me till the light goes out and I can hear him then circle and lay down and start snoring. Again I like the maltese, he is hyper, has security issues and etc but he made his way into my heart as well. But with Ace its different. He is my devoted friend and there is,without sounding too weird there is a bonding of the souls with me. It's difficult to describe but I am sure many in the forum can relate. Could I say he is "almost" like my child? There is a closeness between us and its evident to any who are around us, that any lover of dogs could relate too.

Absolutely understand don't get me wrong I love Gigi but like you Sheldon is like one of my skin kids only with fur. I think with most of us here it is like that though.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.