greeting other dogs properly and calmly!

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
How can I get Meeko to do this properly?! He just goes OTT demented stops listenin but wiggles and scares/annoys the other dogs so they growl or hate him!! He doesnt let other dogs sniff him because he is too busy jumping around. Even on a leash I cant get him to sit calm or still! If he sees another dog while we are on a walk he gets so excited jumping in circles and for this reason I cant trust him off the leash even in an open field incase he spots another dog before me and runs to play with it. He isnt vicious and wouldnt hurt the dog even when they growl bark and snap at him - but other dogs and owners get frightened by his size.

He used to see my sisters husky regularly but they havnt seen each other for a few months because now theyr older the husky cant stand meekos excited behaviour and growla showing her teeth. When they do attempt to play it always looks so vicious and Ellie the husky looks like she is being nasty fighting not play fighting and her furr stands up on her back. My sister thinks thats just how she plays but im not so convinced and it makea me a bit nervous! We have tried re introducimg them with them both on the leash but its not working!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Tasha, I'd think some of this is exuberant youth and he'll calm down
at some point. Hopefully you can find some very mellow doggies that
will put up w/his friskiness. I still love Meekos, what a sweetie pie!

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I agree with Carol! Have you put him in trainging classes yet? Were in those and they do seem to help with her listening to us. She seems to calm down faster.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Classes probably are a good idea.... 'reform school' if you will.. LOL. I think we are going to have to get Amy into classes as well.

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Im not sure that we do doggy behaviour classes here in Wales its definatly something im going to look in to though theres a few areas I could do with the professional help (for meeko not myself LOL)

mbd963

May 12, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ramsay
Perhaps bring some treats with you and only let Meeko interact with the other dog once he sits and settles? Then give him a treat and let him interact with the dog. If he doesn't, use your 'punishment' word ie. no, ah-ah or too bad! and then continue walking. Attempt to teach him that if he's too excited, he will not get to visit. It may take a while but I'm slowly seeing progress with Ramsay doing this. He does a similar thing in that he pulls and goes crazy when he sees another person or dog (he thinks everyone loves him). When it's people I won't let them pet him until he sits and settles. If he doesn't we keep walking.

Swaggers Parents

Aug 19, 2013
San Diego
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Swagger
Not gonna lie, Swagger does the same thing. A lot of older dogs seem to get annoyed with his youth pretty quickly. I find that when he gets to au with other young dogs they will actually play back, especially puppies.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Practice makes perfect. :yes:

If Meeko is going kookoo for cocoapuffs and the other dogs are growling, they are often saying, "Hey! I don't like how unstable your energy is! Stop it!" Meeko is a pup and practice and experience will help. Don't be nervous! Your energy travels down that leash!

A good idea is to practice with dogs and people you know. Get good at that and then move on to strangers and strange dogs. Disagree with behaviors you don't want (be clear and consistent) and relax! Have fun!

Best advice ever given me: YOU (the pack leader) is in control of the meeting!

Bo used to act like a maniac when he met other dogs. He was a pup. He's settled down considerably now at the ripe old age of 2.5. LOL We had to practice though and make lots of mistakes so he could learn.

Bea can be snippy when she first meets a dog. I've had to flip her around and let other dogs sniff her business end and it takes the wind RIGHT OUT of her sails, let me tell ya. LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Practice makes perfect. :yes:

Bea can be snippy when she first meets a dog. I've had to flip her around and let other dogs sniff her business end and it takes the wind RIGHT OUT of her sails, let me tell ya. LOL

I have to do this a lot with Banks, but more so with the little 'Cheli Bean" he so thinks he is the biggest Bull Mastiff on earth!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.