Lunging while on walks

spoonerr

Aug 21, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Hello! Dexter is my new two year old bully, who we've only had on walks. I'm a kind of at the end of my rope, my spouse is almost over it, because Dexter will not stop lunging at EVERYTHING while we're walking. We have him in a pinch collar, and no amount of tugs or nudges to the side or anything will get him to stop focusing on the dog/squirrel/whatever he's trying to get. I don't know what to do considering any kind of training we do for him isn't working. We're about to sign him up for classes at Petsmart, but I though I would ask for some expert advice? I know that bulldogs are stubborn, but there must be something we can do?

benjibabies3

May 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy and Dozer
Hello! Dexter is my new two year old bully, who we've only had on walks. I'm a kind of at the end of my rope, my spouse is almost over it, because Dexter will not stop lunging at EVERYTHING while we're walking. We have him in a pinch collar, and no amount of tugs or nudges to the side or anything will get him to stop focusing on the dog/squirrel/whatever he's trying to get. I don't know what to do considering any kind of training we do for him isn't working. We're about to sign him up for classes at Petsmart, but I though I would ask for some expert advice? I know that bulldogs are stubborn, but there must be something we can do?

Our EB like to pull while on walks. We learned at obedience that to help stop the pulling If you take the leash run it down the back of your EB then take the end of the leash under the belly and back around and under the part of the leash that is going down the back it stops the bully from pulling because it tightens the leash around the dogs hips not the neck. Doing this only a few time and our EB stopped pulling with in mins. If need be I can take a picture if that would help to understand better. Good luck!

samantha2011

Jan 15, 2013
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
samantha and brodie
You need classes big time, I use a chain collar, I lucked out my trainer used to train RCMP dogs, you can look me up on youtube (Lee Dunsmore) and see Samantha on graduation day, but her and I did go to classes every Tuesday for 2 months, and also did daily training in between classes, she was a total idiot for the 1st few classes, but they do learn, and only one person should be doing the training, and after they are trained, then you train your spouse, lol, good luck

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Classes!!!! And no offense to Petsmart but try to find a trainer that does their own classes and offers one on one. Where are you from? I go to a trainer that is like an hour from my house and it is so worth it. THe classes are awesome and she travels .... So she will come to the house if we need her! Hope you guys can find something that works. I know that can be frustrating :/

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
We temporarly had a bloodhound while friends were in transit, that boy was huge and pulled! I went out and got one of those no pull harnesses, b/c i knew if he saw something he wanted I would not have been able to hold him back, we didn't have a fence at the time so I had no choice but to leash him. I think it was called a gentle leader. It went around his nose, of course now that i think prob wouldn't work with bully's face and not good with their breathing but i know they have other types similar too. The first time putting that on him was a success, he pulled once and not for long! Looking into them!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus does this and it annoys me! He had stopped for a while but since being pregnant he thinks he has to protect me always! It's actually getting out of hand as when hubby gets out of bed Bru stands over me so hubby can't wake me up! It's kinda funny but we need to nip this in the butt! I hope you can relay any advice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
Harley benefited greatly from Petsmart classes...no matter where you decide to go, what makes the difference is practice at home. Bullies love routine. If you take any class serious and practice lessons at home, it will stick. I know he loves the attention and the challenge. Harley won for best trick, out of 30 dogs, at town festival. There had to be 200 ppl, many dogs and so much distraction. He's far from perfect and is still stubborn, but i feel like i was given the right tools to correct certain behavior, Good luck! F.Y.I. if it is possible, join a class with other dogs so that Dexter can learn socialization and work on distraction. Let us know how your doing!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.