Help Needed! English Bulldog suddenly turned aggressive

devine

Aug 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Pansy
Hi, We just adopted a 4 year old female bulldog a month ago. She has been so sweet and wonderful with us and our 4 kids (12,13,19,and 21). She lived on a farm as a breeding dog with a bunch of other dogs but not alot of human contact. She is always looking for cuddles and scratches and hugs.
She had never been to the vet in her life and with her moving in with us, she needed rabies and distemper shots. She was a champ at the vet and walked in a walked out was fine when she got the shots and wonderful to the vet. About a day after that she has suddenly turned on the kids....the 3 girls who are 12,13,and 19. She ignores them now and if they go near her she barks at them in a very scary manner. My son (21) my husband and myself she is still the same sweet dog she always has been. I am not sure what is wrong with her, they have never hurt her at all and she used to adore them as they are the ones with most of the cuddles.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm so very sorry this has happened to y'all. I certainly will pray this behavior
subsides and quickly.

In doing research from reading too many posts of weird behavior & bad adverse
side effects after vaccinations, this is more common than known or reported. Vets
say nothing or...that~whatever strange or different thing they're doing or side effect~
ISN'T from the shots given...BULLSH*T...it certainly IS!

I just started researching these things so don't have the answers yet but will PM you
as I find out. It sounds like she was neurologically affected, it may or may not wear off.

Holistic/Homeopathic vets & remedies help counteract these reactions, do you have any
available? Will keep y'all in prayer, please let us know how it goes. GOD bless & keep you & yours.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm thinking she has had a reaction to her vaccines and she doesn't feel well. There is no other explanation, really. Like Carol says above, the vaccines can be very harsh for lots of dogs..poor Pansy! She finally gets a loving home and THIS happens. :(

Give her time and space, but still love. Watch for any rashes or physical signs she is having a problem.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hi, We just adopted a 4 year old female bulldog a month ago. She has been so sweet and wonderful with us and our 4 kids (12,13,19,and 21). She lived on a farm as a breeding dog with a bunch of other dogs but not alot of human contact. She is always looking for cuddles and scratches and hugs.
She had never been to the vet in her life and with her moving in with us, she needed rabies and distemper shots. She was a champ at the vet and walked in a walked out was fine when she got the shots and wonderful to the vet. About a day after that she has suddenly turned on the kids....the 3 girls who are 12,13,and 19. She ignores them now and if they go near her she barks at them in a very scary manner. My son (21) my husband and myself she is still the same sweet dog she always has been. I am not sure what is wrong with her, they have never hurt her at all and she used to adore them as they are the ones with most of the cuddles.

Google Lyssin, a homeopathic remedy given before and after rabies shot to help counteract
adverse reactions. There are also calming remedies that might help her also, I can PM web sites
if needed. GOD bless!

HeatherTaylor

Jul 30, 2012
Harford County Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit and Kozmo Monster
I recently experienced something similar with my 4 year old male. He got his 3 year rabies and leptovax4 shots on July 9th. Two days later he developed a large swelling at the injection site and was behaving snappy, I knew he wasn't feeling great and figured that was all it was. Gave him benadryl for the swelling and called the vet to make sure I didnt need to bring him in. 4days after the shot one side of his face swelled up. More benadryl and to the vets for his suddenly developing behavior problems They didn't think it was the shot at this point. I have no doubt that it was. He got prednisone, antibiotic and probiotic after the third vet visit along with a full blood work up and urinalysis because he now had mild diarrhea as well. But what really concerned me was how aggressive he was becoming. He NEVER ever snapped at me and he never had an accident in the house and he was peeing and pooping inside. Acting like he was terrified of going outside and would bite at me for trying to get him to go and just little things would make him snap. Completely unlike my baby. All of his tests can back fine. We did all the meds and I am happy to say now we are finally back to normal. He is completely back to his old self. I was So scared. The vet did finally say she believed he had a very bad reaction. Hang in there! Watch for new symptoms and give her as much space as you can. It may take a little while but she should get better with time! Best of luck!

Heather, Bandit and the Kozmo Monster
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
devine

devine

Aug 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Pansy
It is just so strange that she seems "mad" at the kids....she is the same bouncy funny dog with my husband, myself, and my son but it is like she is angry and the 3 girls. So we figured if it was a reaction to the shot she would be like this with all of us, but that's not the case.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Im sorry to hear about Pansy. My dog Chumley also had a bad reaction to a rabies shot about 2 months ago. There is a thread on the forums where people gave me some great advice if you can find it. He wasn't due for his rabies shot for another 2 yrs but the vet gave him one in error. His reaction was aggressiveness, multiple daily head tremors and a very nasty allergic reaction that caused huge red bumps and open sores on his head. The vet swore it had nothing to do with the shot but I am 100% positive it had everything to do with it. I am happy to tell you it was only temporary and hopefully that is the case with Pansy...it is now 2 months later and Chumleys head tremors have greatly reduced, his bad allergic rash is gone and his temperament is back to normal. Hopefully as time passes and the vaccine leaves her system Pansy will be back to her old self. I will never ever allow Chumley to get another rabies shot again. I know its a law in some states but if the reaction is that bad the vet can exempt your pet from it. Good luck and keep us posted!

HeatherTaylor

Jul 30, 2012
Harford County Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit and Kozmo Monster
I am so glad to read Chumley is almost back to normal!! It is so scary dealing with these reactions especially when there is so much denial that the shots are most likely the cause.

HeatherTaylor

Jul 30, 2012
Harford County Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit and Kozmo Monster
Devine- when my Bandit "changed" it was directed towards only me for the most part. It was so completely opposite of his usual behavior.

OP
devine

devine

Aug 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Pansy
I honestly think the shot affected her. I am making the girls become more dominant with her as well...like walk her and hold the leash, put her in her kennel and let her out, feed her, etc. I have told them to use strong voices rather than their usual high squeaky voices and be firm and this is helping some. They are just so heartbroken that the dog seems to have just rejected them out of the blue.

HeatherTaylor

Jul 30, 2012
Harford County Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bandit and Kozmo Monster
I can totally understand. Hopefully with some time she will be back to her old self.

B

Baxter Tiberius

I really dont like vaccines. Especially the rabies vaccine.

I hear horror story after horror story about it damaging the dogs mentally, physically, etc.

I dont like it.

What is the real threat here? That the dog will get free, get in a fight with a raccoon, and catch rabies?

If that is *NEVER* a possibility, then is it really necessary to get the rabies vaccination?

Seriously.

I know its "politically correct" to say yes. So ....resist the temptation to say yes, just to say yes.

Talking about real life here. The chances of a housebound / leashbound dog (especially mine who lives in a condo tower, not outside in a yard) getting rabies are pretty much zero.

Then why would i damage his health by giving him the vaccine.

The rabies shot is to protect people from a rabid dog. I don't have a rabid dog. And if he got bit by something, he would be at the vet within days getting tested for rabies, and treated if necessary.

Therefore rabies is not a concern.

I realize rabies vaccinations are required by law, etc. But i care more about his health than the law.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I would just give it time and remain consistent with her and hopefully she goes back to her normal self after she starts feeling better. It can take a few days after the shot to see adverse affects so that very well may be it.

OP
devine

devine

Aug 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Pansy
I am afraid this rabies shot has changed her personality forever....does anyone think she will go back to how she was?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.