General Question Winstons first puppy class...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Winston had his first AKC puppy class yesterday. I expected him to be the most STUBBORN in class, the only other doggie is a Weimaraner (perfect of course... LOL) but Winston did very well yesterday except for the leave it!!! Why do bullies have the hardest time w/the LEAVE IT!!! LOL What was so funny was about halfway thru class, Winston kept running over to the trainer to visit the other puppy and of course disrupt class...

I have one question though, the trainer started using his collar to get him to stay in sit & go down. I read a thread on FB about this bully who died after a trainer pulled her on her leash (which was attached to his collar) she ended up w/a tracheal collapse. Should I stop putting a collar on him to class, tell the trainer this, or is this something that is okay w/bullies?!! She wasn't pulling him off the ground or anything, but after reading that I was kinda wary that she was using his collar... Other than that I REALLY liked the trainer, and she has worked w/bullies before...

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I noticed the other day Sheldon was really pulling against his collar and changed it to a harness for just that reason I had read about that and was afraid of the same thing. I'm no expert but I'd probably just go with a harness just to be safe. I have one that both the chest and waist are adjustable so I was able to adjust it for him and it has the two heavy d-rings on tip just in case the plastic clip fails, you still have control of your bully. I got mine at Petsense.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea starts puppy classes next week and before signing her up we talked to to the trainer about using a harness and not a collar because of the bully that died and they were ok with it. She rarely has a collar on and all of her tags are on her harness of the day.

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
Hilarious! I have read a lot about that, and we definitely plan on harnesses once they're bigger. As if they don't have enough breathing issues already! ;-)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston had his first AKC puppy class yesterday. I expected him to be the most STUBBORN in class, the only other doggie is a Weimaraner (perfect of course... LOL) but Winston did very well yesterday except for the leave it!!! Why do bullies have the hardest time w/the LEAVE IT!!! LOL What was so funny was about halfway thru class, Winston kept running over to the trainer to visit the other puppy and of course disrupt class...

I have one question though, the trainer started using his collar to get him to stay in sit & go down. I read a thread on FB about this bully who died after a trainer pulled her on her leash (which was attached to his collar) she ended up w/a tracheal collapse. Should I stop putting a collar on him to class, tell the trainer this, or is this something that is okay w/bullies?!! She wasn't pulling him off the ground or anything, but after reading that I was kinda wary that she was using his collar... Other than that I REALLY liked the trainer, and she has worked w/bullies before...

Hurray for Winston! I hope he knocks em dead. ;)
Some trainers think you get more control with a collar. I refuse to use a collar because its too dangerous. All of the classes Busta's been too he's worn a harness and has outshined all the other pups. Bullys are such hams. You're so right the hardest thing to get him to do was the leave it command. You really got to use your legs for that one.:yes:

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Harlea starts puppy classes next week and before signing her up we talked to to the trainer about using a harness and not a collar because of the bully that died and they were ok with it. She rarely has a collar on and all of her tags are on her harness of the day.
Great idea... I will just put his tags on his harness, that way I won't have to worry about the collar!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hurray for Winston! I hope he knocks em dead. ;)
Some trainers think you get more control with a collar. I refuse to use a collar because its too dangerous. All of the classes Busta's been too he's worn a harness and has outshined all the other pups. Bullys are such hams. You're so right the hardest thing to get him to do was the leave it command. You really got to use your legs for that one.:yes:
That is so funny... yeah we weren't fast enough on the LEAVE IT!!! LOL :lol:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Go Winston! When Dudley started training, he was PERFECT, just so long as the trainer was in the room. At home - when we did our homework - he would look at me like I was insane when I ran through the commands!! He did get better, and it never ceases to amaze me when I give him a command and he actually DOES it! :D But his trainer also works at his vet's and if he hears her voice...he becomes the world's most perfect dog. He absolutely adores her!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Go Winston! When Dudley started training, he was PERFECT, just so long as the trainer was in the room. At home - when we did our homework - he would look at me like I was insane when I ran through the commands!! He did get better, and it never ceases to amaze me when I give him a command and he actually DOES it! :D But his trainer also works at his vet's and if he hears her voice...he becomes the world's most perfect dog. He absolutely adores her!

That is so funny!!! Yeah I think Winston was starting to "butter up" to the instructor. It was so funny... I have a treat bag that looks just like the on the trainer had, so when I put that on Winston was in full training MODE!!! He's 200% food motivated... LOL :ROFL:

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Yaaay Winston! He will be top of the class before you know it! Brie has a hard time w leave it too. I brought treats w me and every time she went for something, I said leave it w a treat in my hand near her, the sec she paid attention to it instead of what was on the ground, I gave it to her and it has really helped. We have both a collar - collar has her tags- and harness, she hasn't started pulling yet so a lot of times for quick walks I just use that. I used the harness w training classes cos it was near impossible to keep her away from everyone at first n I didn't want to choke her. Cesar Milan actually uses a slip for the hick jerk corrections w training...I've used them before w other dogs, just for training, but even tho I know how to properly use it, Im so afraid to use one on Brie w training.

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Haha thats great! :) Daisys on her 3rd class.. Believe it or not she was perfect with the leave it!!! I was amazed. She is the top dog in the class with being food motivated. They all laugh at her... lol And of course she is the only bully! And also she is perfect in class but when we get home she is like WTF are you doing mom when we work on training. Good luck :)

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Haha thats great! :) Daisys on her 3rd class.. Believe it or not she was perfect with the leave it!!! I was amazed. She is the top dog in the class with being food motivated. They all laugh at her... lol And of course she is the only bully! And also she is perfect in class but when we get home she is like WTF are you doing mom when we work on training. Good luck :)

Leave it just KILLS Winston... he's salivating the entire time!!! LOL

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We used a harness for Bacon, the first day of class we had him in a collar and he spent the entire class lunging and choking himself. He was a lot better by the end but never mastered "leave it" it was not part of our class.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.