Big victory for Baxter

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Now he pees n poops on his patch of grass and immediately starts smacking his lips, because he wants his treat LOL

I swear he has faked peeing a couple times too ... :)

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Now he pees n poops on his patch of grass and immediately starts smacking his lips, because he wants his treat LOL

They learn so quickly LMBO!! If you have something Sheldon wants a bite of he he sits and raises his paw (wave) LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good job Baxter!!! Just remember he is still a baby and will make mistakes from time to time, but he is trying.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Fantastic progress.... Patience and consistency is key!!!!

BTW -- our Frenchie, I swear he 'shadow pees' to get his treat, but i can't prove it so he gets what he wants,

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus

YAY Baxter & Dad :up: Good Job! Consistency and patience :yoda: and a ton of treats will win every time. And in a few weeks you can wean him off the treats :yes:. My boys have faked a pee a few times just to get a treat or just to go back inside :rolleyes:.

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
Awww! That's fabulous! Great job to you both for succeeding! :) What a cutie!!

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

So we did about 4-5 days of nothing but the playpen and patch of grass.

He knew to go there, and did 90% of the time as it was only a few feet from his (open) crate.

After 4-5 days I brought him, and the square of grass out into the living room. To my surprise, he repeatedly sought out, and went potty on the grass. Even though it was all the way across the room this time.

I really was amazed and proud of him. At one point when he had to go # 2 he got up and disappeared. Never a smart thing to let the puppy explore on his own.

But he actually walked all the way to the other end of the condo back to his room where the playpen was, and went # 2 on the floor outside the playpen. Because he couldn't get in, where he thought the grass would be.

Still he was looking for it, and even remembered where to find it, though he was a bit confused as to its location :)

Kevin

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Like you guys said, 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Now he religiously uses his patch of grass, but for some reason he only puts his 2 front feet in the box, while he pees on the floor next to the box. So incredibly frustrating after all this progress. This has become a new habit for him, and there's no way to train him to fix this. He thinks he's in the box. So you cant scold him for peeing in the wrong spot. If you do, he'll think he's not supposed to pee in the box. You can't explain to a dog "No no .. you have to come up inside the box". It seems like a lack of smarts .... thing honestly. He looks at me eagerly as he pisses all over the floor with two paws on the grass. :(

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
@Baxter Tiberius Glad Baxter is understanding where to go potty. You have to remember he is a baby 10 weeks old is like a 1 yr old human. You wouldn't expect a 1 yr old human baby to be able to walk around without a diaper. The fact Baxter knows where to go is a victory and something to celebrate. When you see him peeing off the grass pick him up while he is doing #1 and put him on the grass. Patience and Repetition will work. Bulldogs are very smart once they are taught to understand what you want.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Well you hope he's understanding. But in reality, he's maybe not.

I woke up the last two days to see his very tiny bedding area drenched in pee. He didn't walk a grand total of 5 inches to his patch of grass to pee now.

He did however poop multiple times on the grass.

But he was laying in a pool of his own urine.

This is how he ended up with a staph infection all over the underside of his belly. Pussing sores. This is why he's on antibiotics two times a day and I have to spray him with antibiotic spray twice a day.

I'm reaching a point where Im realizing that "effort" at this age is useless. He will do whatever he will do. And if that means make himself sick by laying in pee all night, then so be it.

I am going to have to just ride this out until he gets older and realizes what he should do. Until then I have to expect this will just be an ongoing, unpredictable, untrainable situation.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well you hope he's understanding. But in reality, he's maybe not.

I woke up the last two days to see his very tiny bedding area drenched in pee. He didn't walk a grand total of 5 inches to his patch of grass to pee now.

He did however poop multiple times on the grass.

But he was laying in a pool of his own urine.

This is how he ended up with a staph infection all over the underside of his belly. Pussing sores. This is why he's on antibiotics two times a day and I have to spray him with antibiotic spray twice a day.

I'm reaching a point where Im realizing that "effort" at this age is useless. He will do whatever he will do. And if that means make himself sick by laying in pee all night, then so be it.

I am going to have to just ride this out until he gets older and realizes what he should do. Until then I have to expect this will just be an ongoing, unpredictable, untrainable situation.

Time and patience ..... He will get ther but stay consistent with him... It is trainable, just more brutal for you than him

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Awww good boy Baxter! It's such a good feelin when our hard work pays off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.