12 week old bully and bathroom habits

mark1959

Aug 15, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
buster
Buster does not even realize he is doing number 1 or 2 . For instance he may be asleep going no. 2 or walking down the hall and going while he is walking. This is my second bulldog and my first one never did this. And I had him 11 years. Has anyone else experienced this?

B

Baxter Tiberius

Thats strange. I am dealing with a 9 week old who goes anywhere and everywhere. Doesn't care about where it is. Doesn't respond to training in any form whatsoever. But he does at least squat when he goes poop. Never seen him pooping while asleep. Or while walking normally.

OP
M

mark1959

Aug 15, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
buster
I would love to just see him squat

B

Baxter Tiberius

Has he had his vet checkup yet, and have you run this by the vet? These are strange dogs, and "grace" isn't exactly their forte. Not by a long shot. So its possible this is just one of his goofy quirks. But I supposed its also possible he has some issues back there. Maybe an anal gland issue or sphincter muscle problem. Totally random guessing.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I have never dealt with any kind of pup that relieves itself while sleeping. To me that is not normal and should be checked out by your vet as it could be symptomatic of a large issue. Walking wise i have only had it happen after a heavy play session and they were trying to get to the door.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
12 weeks is still really young, if you take him outside will he do is business out there? If he does shower him with praise and treats when he does it, he will catch on eventually.

OP
M

mark1959

Aug 15, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
buster
He has had his checkups and shots. The vet seemed to think it was nothing to worry about

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I tend to think, since he has been checked health wise, he's just a bit lazy. It surely will make it harder to train him, but if you can carry him out when it's potty time AND make sure he goes before he gets in crate, it might help. Sometimes, they just don't know to control themselves, even though they are heading outside. Kinda like a 2 year old human, misjudging the time it takes versus the time they have.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
He poops in his sleep?? I would watch him carefully. It may be nothing, but if there is no improvement at all over the next few months I would consider seeing a vet to find out if it is a more serious issue.

OP
M

mark1959

Aug 15, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
buster
I have just been worried about it. I had to put my bulldog, petey to rest about four weeks ago. I had him for eleven years, since he was 10 weeks old. It has taken its toll on me, he was my child. I just dont want to have anything wrong with this one.he plays and acts like any bulldog puppy other than that.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have just been worried about it. I had to put my bulldog, petey to rest about four weeks ago. I had him for eleven years, since he was 10 weeks old. It has taken its toll on me, he was my child. I just dont want to have anything wrong with this one.he plays and acts like any bulldog puppy other than that.

:(

Im sorry about Petey. It's like losing a part of you. If he is acting fine other than that..just don't stress too much. He's a young guy and we will ALL be waiting for progress..

Please feel free to post a Memorial to Petey in out Bulldog Memorial forum..we have lost so many this year. It is a wonderful way to memorialize him. Pictures too!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION], I would watch him, and if he doesn't improve in a month or so I would get him checked out as it could be something more serious. [MENTION=9462]Baxter Tiberius[/MENTION] yours is only 9 weeks old and still young, and if the breeder did not work with them when they were younger, it will take a little longer before they catch on. Just be patient and consistent. Every time he wakes up from a nap, take him out, if he has been playing for about 30 minute, take him out, before eating and after eating, take him out, and praise, praise, praise, every time he goes potty outside. He will get it before you know it. I always say, if the pup goes potty in thehouse, it's my fault, because I wasn't paying enough attention to them.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] took the words out of my mouth- to expect a 9 or even 12 week puppy to exhibit signs of housebreaking is far fetched in my opinion. From my experience 4 months is minimum with these guys and there are many members here that say 7-8 months. Duchess didn't finally get it until about 9 months- granted both her and duke I can count how many times they ha an accident that was #2 in the house they both were peeing machines, duke is just starting to get it and he's 5.5 months. The joys of housebreaking pups in a high rise condominium !

B

Baxter Tiberius

Remember that doctors tend to say everything is "probably nothing". If doctors couldn't rely on the body healing itself, they'd be out of a job for sure, due to ineptness, laziness, and wild, speculative guessing. (can you tell I've had bad experiences?) Let me run this by my buddy who is a vet and see what he says. Im betting it will be the same response :) In fact i have an appointment with Baxter tomorrow and I'll ask that vet for you too. So you can have 3 opinions to lean on.

Just one story for you, so that you don't need to worry: I mentioned a shorthair exotic I got for my mom awhile back who had severe intestinal problems. She would do exactly what your dog is doing, for quite a long time. The treatment for her was anti-inflammatory anti-diarrheal drugs for a long, long time. She became malnourished and nearly died. Fortunately, we kept her going long enough that she grew out of kitten stage, and as she entered adolescence, and her body had a chance to mature, she slowly recovered - all naturally.

Eventually she began to thrive and was all better. She just "developed" slower than most cats, and is now a happy healthy puffball. Point being - that is a "worst case scenario" baby animal story, and she still fully recovered, because she grew up. Things can be severely bad as a baby, and totally clear up as the body (and mind) develops and matures. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I think his youth is on his side with this one.

I'll post back here after Baxter's appointment tomorrow. Ill make sure to ask.

Kevin

Last edited:
OP
M

mark1959

Aug 15, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
buster
I would like to thank everyone here very much. I will post a memorial for petey . I wish that I had found this website while petey was still here. I have found that english bulldogs are different than other dogsand not everyone understands them including some vets. It is nice to talk with others who have these dogs. I have learned that they are more like children than dogs.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.