What size crate?

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
What size crate do you use? I was just getting ready to put Khaleesi's crate together, and noticed that we bought the large size. It looks pretty big (42x38x30) and now I'm wondering if I should take it back and get the medium sized one?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We have a standard 36" crate as it is all Harlea will ever need. It has a divider so we could make it smaller if we wanted to.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I have both crates, the medium and the large, funny the boys like them both. Rambo, which is 65 lbs now sleeps in the medium crate, and when he stretches out, he lays on his side, hind paws resting against the back wall, while his snout sits on the grate at the door bottom, hardly comfortable, Rocky which is just over 50 lbs takes the large crate, and has room enough it seems to drive a volkswagen around inside his crate. They take turns during the day going in and out of each others crates, but when all is said and done at bedtime, they respectively go to the crate their used to. It's hard to say with a young bully which crate will be best, not knowing their final size yet, but either will work, and it's all about what they become comfortable with now. Both have room to go inside the medium crate, turn, and lay down, However I think Rambo would be more comfortable in the larger crate being his size and all, However, it seems they both prefer a crate just big enough to get in and turn around and lay down in. I know this isn't much help, being none of us have crystal balls, but seems they prefer medium, however if you have the large, I wouldn't sweat it one second, and you may even be fortunate to have it one day. Switching crates after they get used to one, is probably worse than getting the wrong one.

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
Thank you guys. I am over thinking every thing I'm sure. We decided to keep the large crate, and I'll just use the divider to fit to her size. I think she's probably going to be on the small size since mama is pretty little, but you never know. I guess it's better having too much than not enough. (at least that's what I'm telling myself right now, especially when I don't want to lug that big thing back to the store)

Casper- Smiling at the thought of your guys milling about the day switching crates.

jm00ser

Aug 10, 2013
Tampa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
We have medium, but as others have said, large will work just fine as long if you use the divider! I guess we will find out in a year if Daisy will fit in the medium. Even though shes a female, dad was MASSIVE and mom was above average for a female. Just looking at Daisy the other day... she has huuuge shoulders, and a little head! That growth spurt is right around the corner!

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
We have medium, but as others have said, large will work just fine as long if you use the divider! I guess we will find out in a year if Daisy will fit in the medium. Even though shes a female, dad was MASSIVE and mom was above average for a female. Just looking at Daisy the other day... she has huuuge shoulders, and a little head! That growth spurt is right around the corner!

:) How old is Daisy now?

jm00ser

Aug 10, 2013
Tampa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
She'll be hitting 16 weeks by the end of the month! Finally getting that last round of vaccines and bordatella. Then we can go have some fun!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I have the 36 inch crate. Raven is 40lbs fully grown and it's just the right size for her to get comfy and lounge. Not sure where you intend to put the crate though. Raven's crate is at the foot of our bed.

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Mayhem has a medium size kennel like this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376542012.622123.jpg

We had a piece if glass cut for the top and use it as an end table in the family room. Looks like furniture and doesn't take up any extra space. 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Both duchess and duke use a 36" wire crate. Duchess is 51LB and 17 months she has room to stretch out- duke is only 5.5 months and I feel like he might outgrow a 36" in another year

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
Well, I said I was going to go ahead and keep the large crate, but I just kept staring at it and finally I couldn't stand it, and took it back and exchanged for the intermediate sized. Khaleesi FINALLY comes home tomorrow, so hopefully it's to her liking. :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Its all good. The 36" should be fime for her. Be patient as she will definately whine at first but it will get better and be worth it in the long run.

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
Its all good. The 36" should be fime for her. Be patient as she will definately whine at first but it will get better and be worth it in the long run.

That's the one thing I'm not looking forward to. The whining and midnight bathroom breaks. But, I'm sure we will survive. Fun starts tomorrow, so tonight may be my last full nights sleep for a while.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.