Tubby is house broken - kinda

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Crate with no bedding when he's alone and at night. Whenever he is at risk of pottying in the house or chewing the cabinets (or anything else)

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby

When he's in the crate during the day when were at work, does he get toys or no?

Feels weird taking about this. It was our dirty little secret, literally

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When he's in the crate during the day when were at work, does he get toys or no?

Feels weird taking about this. It was our dirty little secret, literally

He can have toys. Not weird your teaching him that's all. We've all been there at one time or another. :yes:

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Tubby makes a mess in the middle of the night. He hasn't had a bed since Super Bowl, which was February. I just don't know what to do

Is he pooping at night or just peeing. Honestly if I leave Raven's loose she will come to me in the middle of the night and want to go out. If she is in her crate it's lights out until the morning with no problems. I think with being loose she moves around way more since she seems to be a roaming sleeper and that jiggles her little bladder.

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Is he pooping at night or just peeing. Honestly if I leave Raven's loose she will come to me in the middle of the night and want to go out. If she is in her crate it's lights out until the morning with no problems. I think with being loose she moves around way more since she seems to be a roaming sleeper and that jiggles her little bladder.

See this is the thing. I think the over night pee & poop is his Dad's fault lol he's up at going at 5am so he wakes Tubby up. Then between 5 and 8 when I wake up theres a mess. I think I need to train Tubby's dad to walk him before he leaves for work

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
See this is the thing. I think the over night pee & poop is his Dad's fault lol he's up at going at 5am so he wakes Tubby up. Then between 5 and 8 when I wake up theres a mess. I think I need to train Tubby's dad to walk him before he leaves for work

That is definitely Dad's fault and I mean that. If they are asleep, once they get up they have to go. Remember back when you first got Tubby as a pup that is how we really started their initial potty training. Morning means up, walk, breakfast, walk again. So that is so on Daddy. All that being said it's a good idea to crate Tubby. Not sure what your home situation is and if you have a fenced yard. If you do, I suggest Daddy get up, send Tubby out to do his business while he is washing up and getting ready. I know once Raven gets up she has to go ASAP.

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Little update Tubby has been crated now for 2 days 1 night. He continues to pee and poop while in the crate.
We are keeping the crate in the kitchen. Just now I heard him messing about with the crate so I got up to go look and Tubbs comes darting out of the kitchen. I look and he went into his crate and PEED. I'm shocked. [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] your potty training wisdom is desperately needed.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Little update Tubby has been crated now for 2 days 1 night. He continues to pee and poop while in the crate.
We are keeping the crate in the kitchen. Just now I heard him messing about with the crate so I got up to go look and Tubbs comes darting out of the kitchen. I look and he went into his crate and PEED. I'm shocked. @JAKEISGREAT your potty training wisdom is desperately needed.

:eek: Is it a tiny space..just so he can stand up and turn around? Any bedding?? Why that little :poo: Does he not make it through the night? I wonder if you move him in your room at night..if he gets restless, he needs to go out. The nunning in and peering out of the blue is bizarre!

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
:eek: Is it a tiny space..just so he can stand up and turn around? Any bedding?? Why that little :poo: Does he not make it through the night? I wonder if you move him in your room at night..if he gets restless, he needs to go out. The nunning in and peering out of the blue is bizarre!

No its not tiny. When we moved we threw out the divider like morons. I'm looking for a new one but if I can't find one I may just have to bite the bullet and go out and buy him a new crate.
Nope does not make it through the night. He's in there at night for about 6 hours max.

I will admit when we got Tubby we were clueless. Tubby was a Christmas gift from my fiancee and we winged it. We would put him in his crate when we knew he had to pee so I know we instilled that habit in his head. I'm just surprised at him because if he has to go out and I'm awake he comes to bark at me and its not like it was way past his bedtime walk

HE JUST WENT IN THERE IN AND :poo:

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
No its not tiny. When we moved we threw out the divider like morons. I'm looking for a new one but if I can't find one I may just have to bite the bullet and go out and buy him a new crate.
Nope does not make it through the night. He's in there at night for about 6 hours max.

I will admit when we got Tubby we were clueless. Tubby was a Christmas gift from my fiancee and we winged it. We would put him in his crate when we knew he had to pee so I know we instilled that habit in his head. I'm just surprised at him because if he has to go out and I'm awake he comes to bark at me and its not like it was way past his bedtime walk

HE JUST WENT IN THERE IN AND :poo:

Ohhhhh dear! :bitchslap: lol! Now...you can move forward! I have heard of people using crates or boxes to take up space in the crate. Personally..I think an entirely new crate is needed. You need to start from scratch and Tubby will be confused. But..we now know why! He will catch on..back to basics and treat him like a brand new pup! If you don't, you will have a very bad big Bully!

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Ohhhhh dear! :bitchslap: lol! Now...you can move forward! I have heard of people using crates or boxes to take up space in the crate. Personally..I think an entirely new crate is needed. You need to start from scratch and Tubby will be confused. But..we now know why! He will catch on..back to basics and treat him like a brand new pup! If you don't, you will have a very bad big Bully!

I think a new crate is our best option. That way he won't associate the bad behavior we taught him with this new crate. I deserve a million :bitchslap: for failing this poor guy in his early months.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think a new crate is our best option. That way he won't associate the bad behavior we taught him with this new crate. I deserve a million :bitchslap: for failing this poor guy in his early months.

Well...don't be too hard on yourself! We all make plenty of mistakes and thankfully, these wonderful bully's..don't hold it against us! Get your crate...give him a tiny area..NO bedding...and we will start over! I bet he gets it pretty quickly. I wouldn't give him free access to the new crate either. For awhile, it should be his resting place..NOT his bathroom! Lol

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Well...don't be too hard on yourself! We all make plenty of mistakes and thankfully, these wonderful bully's..don't hold it against us! Get your crate...give him a tiny area..NO bedding...and we will start over! I bet he gets it pretty quickly. I wouldn't give him free access to the new crate either. For awhile, it should be his resting place..NOT his bathroom! Lol

Thank you so much for all the help!!! I am going out first thing tomorrow to get his new BEDroom lol hopefully he gets it by October I want to surprise him with a nice bed for his birthday but only if he's trained properly

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much for all the help!!! I am going out first thing tomorrow to get his new BEDroom lol hopefully he gets it by October I want to surprise him with a nice bed for his birthday but only if he's trained properly

Just checking in, how is Tubby doing with the new crate and square one training?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.