personality change at 8 months

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
Did anybody else's pup seem to totally change around 8 months of age? Agnes was doing so well with all her behavior and I feel like she turned into a monster (or at least a different dog) overnight! She's nipping again, she's very excitable, she is not listening to me, she had an accident in the house, and she's even occasionally barking at me. I NEVER used to hear her voice. We haven't changed any of our routines. I'm incredibly frustrated because we've worked so hard to make her the good girl she was until about a week ago. I'm losing my patience. Any advice to help me get my good girl back? :-(

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Awww maybe she is just going through a spurt of energy n growth? Have you stopped training her? I know they can revert back a bit if we as owners get a little slack. I think the whole first year is kinda wonky w behavior.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Go back to basic training with her and make sure she is aware you are pack leader.
Meeko went(is still) going through it and hes just turned 1 - at first we thought it was because he got neutered but no..Its known as the 'teenage years lol' where they try to push boundries and test your patience. Meekos just calming down again now a bit but still has days where I think omg I cant cope!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
This happened to me with my third bully, Truman. I agree with [MENTION=6330]MeekosMummy[/MENTION] - time to go back to basics and show your Agnes who is boss. I think it's basically like the "teenage years" for bullies so they tend to try to act out or test their limits - some bullies more than others!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki went thru his rebellious stage at about 1 year it was so frustrating. She will snap out of it eventually but make sure that you guys stay constant on her training. Try not to get to frustrated or upset :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ah - the toddler years.... as others have said "Back to basics'

OP
heavyblankets

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
Thanks everyone. Like I said, we haven't changed our routines one bit. I just signed her up for an obedience class this weekend. Maybe learning and practicing some new things will help. Thanks!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Thanks everyone. Like I said, we haven't changed our routines one bit. I just signed her up for an obedience class this weekend. Maybe learning and practicing some new things will help. Thanks!

It surely will. And will reinforce your leadership.

Bo's "naughty outbursts" are often a result of boredom. It's been so hot here that we have not been able to walk our full route(s) on our normal schedule. That has a lot to do with it for Bo.

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
OMG..I thought it was just Stinky.His dad calls him a monster too. I don't know what happen to him. And like you said it happen over night. He doesn't listen to anyone. As a matter of fact when I had to take him to the vets on Sunday...they had to muzzle him. I was shocked! I thought that maybe it was cause it was sick. But maybe not....hmmmm I wish you luck in getting your little girl back.

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Out of boredom? I work during the day and his daddy work nights. When I get home I take him outside to play hide and seek and let him run. But the weather here has been too hot. I try and play with him inside but its hard to do when his daddy is sleeping.His has all kinds of toys and chew bones. What am I to do?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Yup Brutus has changed but it was later around 2 he is starting to test boundaries again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
My Daisy is 6 months and she is doing the same things. I signed her up for puppy class and it has done wonders so far. Seemingly reminding her I am the pack leader. I also added shaking a can filled with pennies in it (as recommended somewhere on forum) for when she talks back defiantly. Now I just leave the can sitting on the coffee table & when she gets the urge to talk back she just looks over at it and huffs a little instead of barking. That worked so well that I used it last night for puppy biting because she seems to do it as a way of exerting dominance. The rest of the night if she put her mouth on my hands I'd reach for the can & she'd stop biting.

OP
heavyblankets

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
We might have to try the can of coins thing. I have been giving Agnes time outs in her crate when she starts getting bitey or barking at me. I know we're not stopped to use ta crate as "punishment" but it seems to be at least a little helpful and she still loves her crate because she'll go in on her own to nap. Biting means you have to sit alone for a few minutes and think about what you've done. Haha

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online