Jealousy Problems!

jodimiller

Aug 9, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boomer
I have a almost 2 year old Great Dane Named Tiny :) And then we have Boomer. Tiny spends the majority of his time in the fenced in yard, this is also where I take Boomer out to potty and play. I was afraid that Tiny being the baby for so long may not take to baby Boomer but he seems not to mind to much just sees him as a new playmate...Boomer on the other hand doesn't like Tiny getting any of his attention and will go inside his dog house and peewee everywhere...think he is just being mean as he shouldn't be marking territory already? When Tiny comes to us for love and affection Boomer will growl and bark at him....which is hilarious to see this little bully trying to intimidate this rather large Dane! We have built Tiny quite the "Dog Cave" and poor Boomer upsets him by relieving himself...which in turn makes Tiny mark his territory..so I have a mess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome to EBN, you've got quite the crew, very interesting mix! Can't wait to
see pics of them. Are you familiar with NILIF~Nothing In Life Is Free~google it,
basically, it's a philosophy of everyone EARNS their place in the pack...it works
wonders restoring order, respect & harmony. Good luck & let us know how it goes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, as Carol sated... you need to get the pack in order. Mr. Boomer thinks he is KING and you need to make him know he is not. Nothing in Life is Free... great tool to get it done

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I have a almost 2 year old Great Dane Named Tiny :) And then we have Boomer. Tiny spends the majority of his time in the fenced in yard, this is also where I take Boomer out to potty and play. I was afraid that Tiny being the baby for so long may not take to baby Boomer but he seems not to mind to much just sees him as a new playmate...Boomer on the other hand doesn't like Tiny getting any of his attention and will go inside his dog house and peewee everywhere...think he is just being mean as he shouldn't be marking territory already? When Tiny comes to us for love and affection Boomer will growl and bark at him....which is hilarious to see this little bully trying to intimidate this rather large Dane! We have built Tiny quite the "Dog Cave" and poor Boomer upsets him by relieving himself...which in turn makes Tiny mark his territory..so I have a mess.

What have you done to make your dogs a pack?

Walks together? If one is outside and the other is inside all the time, that's not helping either. They need to spend time together, behaving as you'd like them to behave together. They need to "practice" this while getting the kind of leadership they need from you, the human. Treat both dogs 100% equally 100% of the time.

Jealousy is a uniquely human behavior. Feeling sorry for Tiny is soft energy and Boomer is probably picking up on that too and his barking at Tiny is the outcome of that. Treat both dogs 100% equally 100% of the time.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I agree with the advice but disagree about jealousy being a uniquely human behavior. I think many of us have observed otherwise and I would be willing to say categorically that dogs do experience jealousy. It may not be as complex as a humans but nevertheless it manifests.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201111/do-dogs-feel-jealousy-and-envy

Really.interesting article! And I definitely believe my dogs get jealous.of each other but not so much jealous of humans

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online