Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crate Training Help pls.

Baxter Tiberius

Default Re: Crate Training Help pls.

Yeah this is real sod grass. Oh well. I think this may just end up being a process of dealing with the nonsense until he matures a little, and things start to click.
    I truly, genuinely believe at this stage he has absolutely no understanding of what I am trying to teach him.
    He is probably too young to get it.
    And when that is the case, there is no training happening.
    Its just repeated confusing acts by his owner, that one day, as he grows up, may "click" in his head finally.
    I don't know.

I took him downstairs when I knew he had to go. I allowed him to walk on the leash behind me most of the way.
    We were headed out to the patch of grass down the street. We didn't make it to the front door before he squats and starts pooping, as I was still walking forward.
    I pick him up before it comes out, and carry him.
    He poops anyways, and it flies onto the stairs in my building lobby.

Never even made it outside. When we got there?
    He had absolutely no desire to go to the bathroom.
    Just rolled around in the grass and played.

:-/

Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

This might sound a little weird but when he does poop or pee where he is not supposed to go clean it up or bag it up and bring him with his "business" to where he should be going and put it down where he can see it, obviously this works better when he can smell that this is what I am supposed to do out here instead of just playing. Another idea is maybe make outside potty time and inside play time until he gets a little better at understanding the concept. Bullies have OCD tendencies so putting him on a strict schedule will help a ton! Like others have said set and alarm for when you need to go out something that is a different tone then your morning wake up alarm. When Loki was younger we had a whistle alarm that we used so we could go out, I think that him hearing "his" alarm also helped something click. Be patient he will get it just takes some time. Hopefully @JAKEISGREAT 's sister can come up with ideas for you guys as well. hang in there
    "If our dogs don't like you we probably won't either"

Baxter Tiberius

Geez. THis just seems so incredibly complex. There are so many good suggestions. But to implement them all seems like it would take a rocket scientist. Seriously this is extremely, extremely complicated. I have had puppies before ... it was always an issue of "oops he had an accident in the house". Once or twice a day, maybe.

Today was a better day. I kept him in his carrier next to my feet while I worked from home. He slept. I took him out every hour. Im noticing that he doesn't really go when Im there. He goes when he's free to wander on his own. Just to complicate this even more.

He did go on the patch of grass which is now out on the balcony. He got treats and praise. He did a #2 there as well, which I was very excited about. The only reason he didn't do all of this on my living room floor was because I have been putting him in "jail" the entire time he's not out to pee and play.

Then I had to take a shower. If I put him in his carrier without being there, he will go ape sh*t crazy screaming and freaking out. So I made the decision to take a quick shower while he was in the living room.

Walking to my bedroom he peed on my floor. I took him out to the patch of grass. He looked up at me clueless, and laid down on the grass.

I showered, came back out, pee accident on the floor again.

I made food for him, and walked it to the other room as he followed. Halfway there, he peed on the floor again.

I mean seriously. We're talking all within 15 minutes grand total.

No point in taking him to the patch of grass. He just lays down or walks off of it. He already went to the bathroom moments before.

See its when he's wandering around that his mind seems to immediately go towards evacuating. When I am there watching, or waiting, he does nothing.

Lastly, there's the whole "Dog wont pee in his sleeping space" thing. Wrong. Even in his carrier, with me right there, he peed inside it right on his towel underneath him.

Again, the only thing I can think is that as he grows up, he will mature. And with that maturity, change will come. Everything in between seems to be a lot of emotionally draining effort for me. And he seems fairly clueless.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Geez. THis just seems so incredibly complex. There are so many good suggestions. But to implement them all seems like it would take a rocket scientist. Seriously this is extremely, extremely complicated. I have had puppies before ... it was always an issue of "oops he had an accident in the house". Once or twice a day, maybe.

Today was a better day. I kept him in his carrier next to my feet while I worked from home. He slept. I took him out every hour. Im noticing that he doesn't really go when Im there. He goes when he's free to wander on his own. Just to complicate this even more.

He did go on the patch of grass which is now out on the balcony. He got treats and praise. He did a #2 there as well, which I was very excited about. The only reason he didn't do all of this on my living room floor was because I have been putting him in "jail" the entire time he's not out to pee and play.

Then I had to take a shower. If I put him in his carrier without being there, he will go ape sh*t crazy screaming and freaking out. So I made the decision to take a quick shower while he was in the living room.

Walking to my bedroom he peed on my floor. I took him out to the patch of grass. He looked up at me clueless, and laid down on the grass.

I showered, came back out, pee accident on the floor again.

I made food for him, and walked it to the other room as he followed. Halfway there, he peed on the floor again.

I mean seriously. We're talking all within 15 minutes grand total.

No point in taking him to the patch of grass. He just lays down or walks off of it. He already went to the bathroom moments before.

See its when he's wandering around that his mind seems to immediately go towards evacuating. When I am there watching, or waiting, he does nothing.

Lastly, there's the whole "Dog wont pee in his sleeping space" thing. Wrong. Even in his carrier, with me right there, he peed inside it right on his towel underneath him.

Again, the only thing I can think is that as he grows up, he will mature. And with that maturity, change will come. Everything in between seems to be a lot of emotionally draining effort for me. And he seems fairly clueless.

No free roaming..this is imperative. And NO bedding in crate. I think you think..you are covering the basics..but honestly, you are giving him room to screw up. Apeshit crazy in the crate..lol...let him. It's like a temper tantrum with a 2 year old. Reread my post from last night. NO roaming..in crate when not on leash. Add NO bedding..out every hour..etc.. He will probably still have an accident or two, but your frustration level will be much better...and you will be on your way to a happy house.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

I agree w Jakeisgreat on this one. Def clean all his pee'd/pooped on areas w natures miracle or something else that kills the enzymes of their scent. then start again..He needs to be put on a housebreaking schedule w a crate. Everyone's schedule is different, but if you are home w him, walk him first thing, feed n water, then walk, play a bit, then walk..then crate for a cpl hours. Take out for walk, feed n water, walk, play, walk, back in crate for cpl hours, take out n walk, feed n water, walk, play, walk etc..leave him out with you for about an hour and forty five min each time, then crate. As he gets older you can give him more roam as well as increase crate time. I wouldn't leave water down all the time, if you are, give it to him at specific times throughout the day. When Brie was 8 weeks to about 4 months I got no sleep cos I took her out about every 2-3 hours throughout the night til her bladder developed a bit more. She was really good about growling n letting me know she had to go tho so it made that easier. She stayed in her crate at night. When she was about 6 mos, I started letting her sleep w me cos she was sleeping all night. I crate her during the day if I need to go out but usually not if more thn 3-4 hours at a time. I don't know if any of this will help you, but I figured I would share my experience.

Baxter Tiberius

Well we had a bit of an improvement today.

It was the first morning I had woken up and poop was not smeared literally all over himself, and the entire playpen area.

I spent the whole day yesterday training him on the patch of grass on the balcony. I decided to bring it in to his playpen area, and put down a lot of white paper around it.

I realized he was associating peeing & pooping with "ruglike surfaces" thanks to the potty pads. I remembered as a child my mom would newspaper the playpen area, and they'd never feel comfortable going on the carpet.

They'd always look for a paper surface.

At the suggestion of a puppy trainer on another site, I am going to get some "butchers paper" (long wide sheets) instead of using computer paper taped

I guess the training on the grass worked because this is what I woke up to, today. (picture the entire area you see smeared in crap yesterday morning)

Im proud of him.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Baxter needs clear direction and an iron-clad schedule.

You are right; it shouldn't be --- and isn't --- as complicated as all this. Look at the direction you are giving him from the view of a puppy. Baxter is friggin confused. He wants to please you --- it is in his DNA to do so! Giving him a clear direction to follow is paramount.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads