Funny quirks, leg humping and fear

MrButtersMom

Aug 10, 2012
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Butters
Mr. Butters is the most amazing dog I have ever had or seen! Although I am sure we can all say that about our Bully because it seems like everything Mr.B has done, once I google it to see if it is "unique" BAM 5 million youtube videos of other Bullies doing it already.

These are a few things that I have noticed about my boy that I haven't googled and felt it would be better to just hear back what funny quirks your pride and joy has too.

1. When he has a "movement" he has to find a bush, climb in it and then go. Sometimes he has lifted his leg as if to pee but "moved" instead.
2. He will not walk over manholes, metal plates, or the multiple lines in concrete on the sides of wheelchair dips in the sidewalk. Instead he does everything in his power to walk around them and then run away as if they were going to chase him.

I knew this would happen to me. I am sure there are more than two things but for the life of me I cannot remember them!

Anywho. On to my second part of this thread's subject line.

He likes to hump men's legs. Never a woman...only men. Is there a way to have him stop this? It's kind of hard to get another date after they meet him.

FEAR - he seems to be afraid of everything! Plastic bags, boxes, vacuum, brooms...he won't even walk by a broom... if it's by his food or water? Forget about it! If something is put in the kitchen, let's say a bag of potatoes, if he didn't see it put there he will "woof" (a muffled bark that flaps his jowls) a couple times and if I am not there to say it's OK then he will bark at it like it's an intruder. I hate for him to have these issues because I like to keep a clean house and he will run to the bedroom and hide until I am done. I hate him living so stressed and in fear like this.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
It sounds like Mr Butters is having some anxiety issues. He needs you to be the CONFIDENT and SURE pack leader that he can rely upon. It's YOUR job to protect them from the world. Your calm, assertive self is what he needs.

There are some things -- like the vacuum, for example -- where I understand why my dogs don't like the thing. It's loud. It's noisy. It moves in their stratosphere. I make some accommodations for that apprehension. For everything else, I simply disagree with the behavior - the same way I disagree with any behavior I don't want, regardless of what it is. In that way, my communication with my dogs is crystal clear, you see. No one has to wonder what I want from them -- they know.

The neighbor's patio umbrella will always cause a stir when she first puts the thing up. Is it a giant bat, flying down to eat them? Who knows - but I'm not going to spend the summer watching them run by it fearfully, just to get up onto the back porch to come into the house. Fergitaboutit. A couple of "ACK!" (my disagree sound) and a redirect or three and they've forgotten all about the big, bad-*** patio umbrella.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Vicaroo1000 gave you great advice. many will tell you, make sure your Bully knows you are pack leader so they can feel safe and know you have control .
Also, many will tell you about what their Bully is afraid of... lots of objects. Banks hates plastic bags until they are on the floor and she can play with them.... she also hates the vacuum cleaner which i have not for the 7+ years I have had her been able to get her over it. Bullies also have some level of OCD and when something new is around or something is not in 'it's place' they will react to it

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki is crazy about anything with wheels when I can tell he is unsure of something I try and have him get a little closer if he doesn't want to then I go to whatever is freaking him out and touch it to show him that is it ok. I did read in a post that bullies are OCD ish so if something is out of place they can startle easy. Loki hates plastic bags that occasionally stray into the backyard. I tought Loki that the vacuum is a game because I have OCD and am constantly cleaning something I want him to be comfortable around it. I played with the vacuum while it was on and set some treats closer and closer to it each time until he had to get it from right next to the vacuum.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Oh and potholes, man covers, grates a puddle he ain't crossing that either if he has to he turns into a cat that is scared of water paws spread super far apart and running as fast as he can over them

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Poor mr butters! Dogs see a lot of shapes n silhouettes, they dont see things they way we do so even you wearing a hat is a new a weird shape attached to you do of course anything he hasn't seen before is going to in his mind be a cause for concern. But, they live in the moment so what scares them right now, they can get past w your help the next moment...so to speak. [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] gave some good advice. being calm, assertive and consistent is key.
Brie also refuses to walk over any kind of metal grate or man hole as well. She will go around or jump over if she can't go around it.

HandsomeUlysses

Aug 13, 2013
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
This thread is quite helpful as Ulysses is still new to his environment at home, 2 weeks. When you guys mention OCD and something not in place, does this apply to visitors? Ulysses allows random strangers during his walk to pet him and yet when we have a friend over to meet him, he gets really scared. He barks at them and walks funny, making himself little. Is this normal right now? Or are we not introducing visitors properly...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I also have a scardey bully. Lol. Bulldozer is afraid of his own shadow, he has been skittish since we got him from day one. He is afraid of the vacuum, plastic bags, any loud noises or bangs, especially thunder, and fire crackers, he doesn't like the sound of traffic when cars go by us when walking on the sidewalk, he doesn't like to walk very far most days. I will take him out for his duties, and then trybtomgo for a walk either to the top of the complex, or around the block, and he will lay down with all four legs splayed out and refuse to walk, you can't pull him, because then you pull his neck, so I have to go behind him and pick up his butt and say get up and walk, if this doesn't work I have to bribe him with a cookie. Sometimes he just continues to refuse, and will roll onto his back waiting for a belly rub. He's too funny. It's hard because my female Blossom has so much energy and she will walk for hours, she loves her walks, and she walks with the cutest little wiggle and a bounce in her step. So we will try to go on longer walks in the evenings and Dozer always pulls to go back home, and then if we attempt to take a walk up the street to the plaza and get a coffee at Tim Hortens he might walk up, but many times goes on strike and refuses to go home, so my son and I have had to either carry him part way home, or call hubby to come get us with the car, or if hubby is with us, he walks back home and brings the car. He's so stubborn and silly.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
@MrButtersMom ( When he has a "movement" he has to find a bush, climb in it and then go. Sometimes he has lifted his leg as if to pee but "moved" instead.) Chumley does the exact same thing..he'll circle and circle in a clear area and then end up backing into a bush or leaves..very weird!

As for humping men's legs @Casper has a prosthetic leg. He should send you one of his spares for a weekend so Mr Butters can get it all out of his system. When you return it Ill take care of the cleaning bill with casper.

Last edited:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@MrButtersMom ( When he has a "movement" he has to find a bush, climb in it and then go. Sometimes he has lifted his leg as if to pee but "moved" instead.) Chumley does the exact same thing..he'll circle and circle in a clear area and then end up backing into a bush or leaves..very weird!

As for humping men's legs @Casper has a prosthetic leg. He should send you one of his spares for a weekend so Mr Butters can get it all out of his system. When you return it Ill take care of the cleaning bill with casper.

:yikes::yikes::wtf::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Ohhh you didn't just say that... :eeeew:

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
My dog Zeus like to poop in/on plants too. Idk why. We had a little palm tree and he had to poop in the center of it. Doesn't it poke his bum. That palms bushes were spread out so far because every time he poops he goes to it. He does itto other plants too.. And he is a frightened of many things too ..

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
This thread is quite helpful as Ulysses is still new to his environment at home, 2 weeks. When you guys mention OCD and something not in place, does this apply to visitors? Ulysses allows random strangers during his walk to pet him and yet when we have a friend over to meet him, he gets really scared. He barks at them and walks funny, making himself little. Is this normal right now? Or are we not introducing visitors properly...

When new people come into your home, institute the "no touch, no talk, no eye contact" rule. That means they must act like the puppy isn't even there. Then, let the dog introduce himself in the dog's time. That should take some of the pressure off the pup.

HandsomeUlysses

Aug 13, 2013
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
When new people come into your home, institute the "no touch, no talk, no eye contact" rule. That means they must act like the puppy isn't even there. Then, let the dog introduce himself in the dog's time. That should take some of the pressure off the pup.

Ahhh, we didnt follow that rule. We will do that from now on. We only have had two people over and are now afraid to invite more. Thank you so much for the advice Vicki.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.