snmrun262

Dec 27, 2012
Southern California
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty and Wilma
Hello All,

Back in December, we brought home our sweet little bulldog puppy (12 weeks old) - Her name is Betty. We already had a 3 year old Boxer and it was wonderful to have them together! (Our boxer lost her bff - the previous summer - our English Mastiff at age 8). My husband and I have 3 young children (8, 6, and 4) and it has been a total lovefest for everyone!

In January, I got a phone call from the breeder that Betty's sister/littermate was the only pup remaining and asked if I wanted her! Of course!!! So now, we have Betty and Wilma....and Gidget (our boxer).

Everything was amazing and all three played so well together! Especially Betty and Wilma - happy as can be together.

At the end of May, at 7 months old, Betty and Wilma went into heat. This completely threw us since we were not smart enough to realize it could come this soon (our boxer has already been spayed). So, we figured we'd spay them this summer. Well, by July, Betty's nipples were still swollen and she was starting to pick fights with Wilma (Really MEAN fighting). The vet said she might have a little cyst on her ovary and that could be causing her to not fully come out of "heat". Well, this past week, the fighting escalated. Betty will fight aggressively with Wilma and now with Gidget. I have the spays set up for next week for both girls, hoping that Betty just doesn't feel good and is acting horribly.

I also called the dog trainer we worked with in the past and she told me today that Betty needs to find a new home. She said you should never have female Bully littermates together and that Betty is teaching the other 2 agressive behavior and will continue to escalate. She said that fixing her will not work - she now "likes to fight" and will continue this. I am just SICK. I can't believe that this is irreversible when there was never an issue until July, when we thought there must be something going on with Betty (and her swollen nipples).

So....long story, I am looking for advice from anyone that has been through this. Is the dog trainer correct? Is there no hope to have a peaceful family again? I want to do what is best/right for my dogs and my family. I will do whatever I can to make this work. I'm hoping to hear some good news from someone.

Thanks,
Susan

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
:smileywelcome: Sorry your are in such a difficult situation. I have tagged a few people who might be able to offer you some suggestions.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:angelhug:I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. Sorry I don't have any experience with two female siblings, so really don't know whether this because there are two females. I have two EB siblings from the same litter, they are a male and female, Bulldozer and Blossom, and they are 17 months old. We bought them together, so they were litter mates, and then came home together and have been together since day one. They love each other, and are very close, they love to play and share everything together. I don't know if it makes a difference to have a male and a female, or if it's because they are the same sex, and showing dominance. Blossom is more dominant and definetely the boss over my two, but Dozer is very quiet and more laid back than Blossom, so he doesn't care really and just lets her be the boss, she is never aggressive towards him, or he to her, but she does take toys away from him, and most of the time they just chew on the same toy, they like to lie together, but also play pretty hard sometimes, blossom likes to Ram him, and she'll play bite on his ears or leg, but never hurts him, just gets a little too rough, then I either have to split them up, or if I shake some pennies in a jar, or just clap. The sudden loud noise gets their attention and they usually stop. Good luck with you girls, I hope it works out for you. After Blossom was spayed, I didn't notice any difference in her, we had her spayed at almost 7 months old, but she hadn't gone into heat yet, but I did notice a difference in Dozer after he was neutered, he was done a week after Blossoms surgery, and he really calmed down after and he stopped humping as well.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry... I had two male litter mates for about 4 months together, but I had to keep a really close eye on the runt because he was blind. Plus they were still very young, I didn't notice any aggressive behavior... I'm NOT an expert on this, hopefully someone w/more experience can help you out!!! :confused:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Most of the time they all can live together peacefully. But when they are in heat or coming out of it their hormones go crazy and they all get bitchy and will pick fights, plus they are young. Mosy of the time they will get better once the hormones get back to normal. BeBe and Lucy used to fight a lot at times but now that they are older they have stopped that. Spaying them will help with this, but will still take several months to do. That being said there are times you get two that just will not get along no matter what and they have to be separated all the time. We have 3 females that get along very well, and two that do not, both alpha bitches, and we keep them separated. I would give it some more time and watch them very closely. More times than not you will see their signs and can stop the fight before it even starts. If you can do this they can learn this is not accepted and eventually stop the fighting. That's what happened with BeBe and Lucy. We have worked with Bebe and Diva, but they just hate each other and that's that, and no matter what we do they just still hate each other, so they stay separated. Try walking them together and you go in and out the door first and sometimes this will help. Others will be along and will have some other suggestions. Please keep us posted.

OP
S

snmrun262

Dec 27, 2012
Southern California
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty and Wilma
Thanks so much already for these posts! You are giving me hope!!! Tomorrow, both girls will be spayed at the vet (where they went when they were born). I'm hoping to keep things calm, give them their space in their separate crates, give them tons of love and that all will turn out okay! Keep the ideas coming!!!
Thank you!!!!!
Ssan

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
David has a lot more experience with this than we do. Our girls aren't siblings and we just had Amy spayed at 5 months on the suggestion of our vet. Before she ever went into heat. So we hope we won't have to deal with those particular hormone changes.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Well, first off, Welcome here and then, Congratulations on your crew and
awesome luck to get a new one...and your bully's sissy, how wonderful!

Please don't panic, not disputing your trainer but they are human and therefore,
can be wrong. In this instance, I think wayyyyyy too early to make this judgement.
I completely disagree with her statement that sisters (or brothers) can't be raised
together, I've done it multiple times as are many people here, doing it right now. It
CAN BE more difficult having two dogs of the same sex in the home, especially once
hormones kick in and once in a great while, two decide they won't get along & that's
that. However...in your case, they WERE getting along until their heat...I think they
will do much better once spayed AND removing the cyst from Betty's ovary. She may
be in pain as well as being hormonal. It can take 1-2 months for the body's hormones
to balance & adjust so keep in mind.

All this to encourage you, keep them separated, one's out, the other is crated or in a
different room, you need to be in charge and stay calm, assertive & patient as they
PICK UP behavior cues from you. YOU are the top dog not them so let them all know
this. Make sure all people even the smallest one, knows this and does this w/them.
Google NILIF (nothing in life is free) for great tips on establishing this to a dominant
dog. It is scary (and dangerous) when dogs fight and so tramautizing too. I'm sorry
this has upset the happiness in your household. Peace can be restored once more.

Keeping all in prayer and please let us know how it goes...GOD bless!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Thanks so much already for these posts! You are giving me hope!!! Tomorrow, both girls will be spayed at the vet (where they went when they were born). I'm hoping to keep things calm, give them their space in their separate crates, give them tons of love and that all will turn out okay! Keep the ideas coming!!!
Thank you!!!!!
Ssan

Hi and Welcome Betty, I have to female siblings and their mom living in harmony. Dolly is Mom, Scrimps and Peggy Sue are sisters, Griz son to Dolly , brother to the daughters. Jack is an American Bully and he's not related to anybody, but he is 100 pounds of muscle, They all get along pretty much fabulously, but is Jack gets overly excited (he's going to be 9 in Sept) Peggy tries to settle him down. She's only tall enough to reach his chest. And he can do damage if he wanted too. But the females are one big happy family. The sisters are tighter than anybody I know. Like David said. once those nasty hormones subside, you should have a better adjusted family. Please keep us posted.

OP
S

snmrun262

Dec 27, 2012
Southern California
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty and Wilma
Thank you ALL - again! Davidh - I did exactly what you suggested and I was able to separate Betty twice before a fight happened when I saw her "look".
Sherry - love your story - I'm hopeful/excited to get back there in a few months!
Texas Carol - I've been reading up on NILIF and WOW - I am shocked at MY behavior. Betty is a "nudger" and and uses her nose and her paw to let me know to pet her and "I comply". Really good message to hear and process. I have my own changes to make.

I have to say, while this is my first time posting, I am so impressed with so many responses and caring dog/Bully people. You all ROCK. I'm thrilled to have a support system to get so many great ideas and experiences.

update so far....Betty and Wilma are going in for surgery and we'll here what our vet has to say about any issues with Betty (cysts/etc.).

Thanks so very much!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Hello All,

Back in December, we brought home our sweet little bulldog puppy (12 weeks old) - Her name is Betty. We already had a 3 year old Boxer and it was wonderful to have them together! (Our boxer lost her bff - the previous summer - our English Mastiff at age 8). My husband and I have 3 young children (8, 6, and 4) and it has been a total lovefest for everyone!

In January, I got a phone call from the breeder that Betty's sister/littermate was the only pup remaining and asked if I wanted her! Of course!!! So now, we have Betty and Wilma....and Gidget (our boxer).

Everything was amazing and all three played so well together! Especially Betty and Wilma - happy as can be together.

At the end of May, at 7 months old, Betty and Wilma went into heat. This completely threw us since we were not smart enough to realize it could come this soon (our boxer has already been spayed). So, we figured we'd spay them this summer. Well, by July, Betty's nipples were still swollen and she was starting to pick fights with Wilma (Really MEAN fighting). The vet said she might have a little cyst on her ovary and that could be causing her to not fully come out of "heat". Well, this past week, the fighting escalated. Betty will fight aggressively with Wilma and now with Gidget. I have the spays set up for next week for both girls, hoping that Betty just doesn't feel good and is acting horribly.

I also called the dog trainer we worked with in the past and she told me today that Betty needs to find a new home. She said you should never have female Bully littermates together and that Betty is teaching the other 2 agressive behavior and will continue to escalate. She said that fixing her will not work - she now "likes to fight" and will continue this. I am just SICK. I can't believe that this is irreversible when there was never an issue until July, when we thought there must be something going on with Betty (and her swollen nipples).

So....long story, I am looking for advice from anyone that has been through this. Is the dog trainer correct? Is there no hope to have a peaceful family again? I want to do what is best/right for my dogs and my family. I will do whatever I can to make this work. I'm hoping to hear some good news from someone.

Thanks,
Susan

I think your trainer is an idiot. Dogs are smart and adapt. They can live in harmony it just might take a little extra TLC and a new trainer! Preferably one that has bulldog experience! Good luck!

OP
S

snmrun262

Dec 27, 2012
Southern California
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty and Wilma
Thanks Scueva. I'm tending to think that since that was her only solution, she really isn't giving me the most thoughtful/helpful advice either! : )

Both of the girls are home recovering. Our Vet said that Betty was absolutely uncomfortable with the high levels of progesterone in her body and her "brain" essentially telling her that she was having babies. I'll check in again as they recover and start to feel better and heal.

Thanks again!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
​So grateful you updated us and with such great news...GOD bless all!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang has you covered... David, sherry and Carol gave you awesome advice. PLEASE keep us posted on the spay --- prayers all goes well

BTW ---- :welcome3: to EBN

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online