Suddenly barking/fussing in crate

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Of all the issues we've had with Remi, crate training wasn't one of them. He loved it since day 1 and it's never been an issue. Just as he turned 1, he began throwing temper tantrums if we crated him while we were home, (for example, during dinner), or when people come over. If he can see us, he's going to bark. We always give him a treat when he goes into the crate, and when we tell him to go in, he goes in willingly.

The barks are definitely borderline whining/growling. He's throwing a major temper-tantrum. I've tried ignoring him until he's calmed down, but beating out a stubborn bulldog is difficult. Halfway through I'm about to rip my hair out and it's really starting to affect my anxiety disorder. I can't even enjoy my evening meal for pete's sake. I've considered taking him to the upstairs crate where he can't see us, but it seems like I shouldn't have to do that.

I was so fed up at dinner tonight that I took my plate upstairs to my office just to get some peace. The husband stayed downstairs - Remi quit barking immediately.

Any ideas why he would start doing this all of a sudden? Do I just have to man up and prevail and prove to be more stubborn than he is and continue to ignore him? 3 weeks later, it's still happening, and kind of embarrassing when company comes over.

When he goes to bed in his crate, never a bark or a complaint though.

Last edited:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Why does he need to be in his crate when you have company? If he is jumping or misbehaving you can leash him and restrict the behavior while training him to not jump or stay or really whatever behavior you want from him. Same goes for meal time. Leash him until he gets It that you want him to lay down. My brutus gets insulted if he isn't with the family. If you must crate him, maybe cover the crate with a thin sheet so he can't see you.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Why does he need to be in his crate when you have company? If he is jumping or misbehaving you can leash him and restrict the behavior while training him to not jump or stay or really whatever behavior you want from him. Same goes for meal time. Leash him until he gets It that you want him to lay down. My brutus gets insulted if he isn't with the family. If you must crate him, maybe cover the crate with a thin sheet so he can't see you.

We had a previous trainer who pitched us the leash idea, but if I'm cooking in the kitchen and hustling and bustling around, it simply doesn't work. It's not all the time - but sometimes it's the best management depending on who the company is. Otherwise he is out roaming around. If someone brings their 2 year old baby over, I have to crate Remi because he can get a little over zealous and knock 'em over. We are currently working with a trainer for these issues, but he's still technically a puppy, so managing his behavior with his crate really isn't a foreign concept. If I can't give Remi 100% attention, the leash idea is just not possible.

We have always done this, so I just think it's bizarre that NOW he has a problem with it. I work from home and he's out of his crate most of the time. We are joined at the hip. But again, if I put him in his crate, he used to just lay down and be a good boy.

Now he's got a huge beef :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Jane...I'm laughing at Remi's behavior so hard right now...and bullies
in general!

We MUST be crazy!!

He reminds me of my son's behavior (Aaron) being an bossy young man.

Sending you hugs and love and tons of patience with your adorable PITA
:heart::icecream::heart:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We had a previous trainer who pitched us the leash idea, but if I'm cooking in the kitchen and hustling and bustling around, it simply doesn't work. It's not all the time - but sometimes it's the best management depending on who the company is. Otherwise he is out roaming around. If someone brings their 2 year old baby over, I have to crate Remi because he can get a little over zealous and knock 'em over. We are currently working with a trainer for these issues, but he's still technically a puppy, so managing his behavior with his crate really isn't a foreign concept. If I can't give Remi 100% attention, the leash idea is just not possible.

We have always done this, so I just think it's bizarre that NOW he has a problem with it. I work from home and he's out of his crate most of the time. We are joined at the hip. But again, if I put him in his crate, he used to just lay down and be a good boy.

Sounds like its a new "game" to him. As far as making it better, I have no idea. Perhaps a frozen kong with cream cheese during dinner time. But I must warn you, if you do it once you'll have to do it all the time they are smart little turds and don't forget!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
He just want to be out with everyone :) I would definitely put a treat in the crate with him that keeps him busy for a period of time so that he isn't getting bored or jealous that he is not out playing with everyone.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Jane, seems like Remi's testing your limits right now...seeing how far he can go with you. I don't know, I may be way off with that one, but bulldogs are pretty intelligent and know how to push our buttons when they want to. You definitely need to stay firm and not give in to his barking/whining. How about turning on a radio or TV to both to drown out the barking as well as possibly making Remi feel less lonely.

JoeR53

Jul 24, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Blu Lily Gemma
Dot started barking anytime we were eating, just sitting in the floor barking, not in a crate. Years ago I had a German Shepherd Dog that would bark inappropriately, our obedience trainer suggested taking a plastic container, I use a 32 ounce Gatorade bottle, and putting gravel, I use nuts and bolts, in it and anytime the dog barked unreasonably, shake the bottle. I don't know what it is about that particular noise, but it worked great with my Shep, and now with Dot. She sort of tunes up before she starts barking, sort of a Bruff, Bruff, sound, at first I had to give the bottle a hard shake, now if I just reach for it when she starts "bruffing" she'll stop. It doesn't really cost anything, and it may be worth a try.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have you tried covering the crate?

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

I understand not wanting him to knock over the little kids. It sounds like he doesn't want to share your attention with any other activity or anyone else. Brutus Will actually nudge my daughter out of the bed if she is cuddling with me. He does not like to share me. They are quite silly little bullys.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
As I reread my original post I realize it sounds quite judgemental. NOT my intention at all. I think crates are essential with having a bulldog as brutus sleeps in his every night and is in it when we are not home. I hope you find a solution as I don't think I was a great help :eek:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
If it's behaviour that has only just started then it does sound like he's trying to push the boundaries to see how far you will let him go. Maybe put in a kong filled with frozen veggies. I know that takes Linus a LONG time to get out ... maybe something like that (a toy that he has to work at) would keep him busy for the time you're eating your dinner.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman

This is my thought...mine were always good in crates but sometimes the visual stimulation if we are around was too much so I always put a sheet or something light to cover the crate to allow both of us some privacy! :)

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Sounds like its a new "game" to him. As far as making it better, I have no idea. Perhaps a frozen kong with cream cheese during dinner time. But I must warn you, if you do it once you'll have to do it all the time they are smart little turds and don't forget!

So true! He won't step foot in his crate unless he knows I have a few pieces of kibble for him.

2bullymama said:

Ha! Yes, but he still barks. Once he managed to find the smallest hole that wasn't covered by the blanket and was looking out from the very bottom corner of the crate, his nose pushed against the wire. The husband and I couldn't help but laugh hysterically at his determination. (You will get a kick out of this @Texas Carol, @sheshistory)

lokismom said:
He just want to be out with everyone :) I would definitely put a treat in the crate with him that keeps him busy for a period of time

So true, looks like I"m going to have to up the anty. Or try to manage him with his thunder shirt so he doesn't have to go into his crate.

Thanks for the tip, @JoeR53! I will have to use our can to let him know the behavior sucks.
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] - I completely agree. Remi knows how to get under my skin for sure!!
@brutus77 - no worries!

Okay. I think I know what I have to do :) Thanks so much everyone!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
So true! He won't step foot in his crate unless he knows I have a few pieces of kibble for him.

Ha! Yes, but he still barks. Once he managed to find the smallest hole that wasn't covered by the blanket and was looking out from the very bottom corner of the crate, his nose pushed against the wire. The husband and I couldn't help but laugh hysterically at his determination. (You will get a kick out of this @Texas Carol, @sheshistory)

So true, looks like I"m going to have to up the anty. Or try to manage him with his thunder shirt so he doesn't have to go into his crate.

Thanks for the tip, @JoeR53! I will have to use our can to let him know the behavior sucks.
@cali baker - I completely agree. Remi knows how to get under my skin for sure!!
@brutus77 - no worries!

Okay. I think I know what I have to do :) Thanks so much everyone!

Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.