Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Ok, so I've always known Brie to be on the domineering side..she takes this pack ting seriously it seems. What she is owing to concerns me cos I don't know what she is trying to say. We have 3 other dogs, 2 of them Shiba Inu's and are 14 yrs old. When I go to put the leash on either of them, Brie will rush over and get on top of them, growling n biting them. She stands over them like she is dominating them. I get she has maybe established herself under me and over them, but I'm not sure if this behavior is ire red to thm or to me. It is a bit annoying having to navigate this to get a leash on them. Any ideas as o what she is trying to do or say? And any suggestions?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Maybe she is trying to say I want to go or they can't go unless I go? Wish I could be more help.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this, but it does sound like some kind od domineering or jealous behaviour towards the other dogs. Some one with more experience with dog training or behaviour will be along soon I'm sure to maybe give you some ideas. Does it help if you take Brie out first? Or maybe you could take her out first, and then crate her for a minute while you leashnthenother dogs and take them out, then let her back out? Good luck Hun, hope you find a solution. Let us know how it goes

Last edited:
OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this, but it does sound like some kind od domineering or jealous behaviour towards the other dogs. Some one with more experience with dog training or behaviour will be along soon I'm sure to maybe give you some ideas. Does it help if you take Brie out first? Or maybe you could take her out first, and then crate her for a minute while you leashnthenother dogs and take them out, then let her back out? Good luck Hun, hope you find a solution. Let us know how it goes

I do take her out first. I think it is related to jealousy in a way. I can get them out, it just takes me having to get on to her n I just don't want to get bit w her being do I erring w them you know? I guess I can crate her when I take them out. I just don't feel I should have to. I am working more w her on training - we took a break w all her surgeries n healing etc - One thing she dies that is a but funny..we goes upstairs, sometimes the other dogs go up too. When we cone down, she blocks them n growls or nips to stop them from going down first..she lets me go, then she gives, thn they go. It's funny but she is taking this pack thing too seriously lol

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Yah sounds like she is trying to establish herself above your other dogs. You can try to feed them first let her watch in the stay position. Coming in from a walk or going up or down the stairway let your older dogs go down or thru the doorway first. Put her in the sit stay when you leash your other dogs and leash them first Brie last. Be firm and consistent.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
I would have to agree with [MENTION=8050]Ashleym[/MENTION] maybe you need to take her down a few notches so to speak let the old dogs do things first if that can't all be done together.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
That is strange... I wish I could offer you some advice, but I have no clue?!! Whenever I walk Winston & Roxie together Winston will jump up to bite at Roxie's leash. I don't know if this is a dominance thing or he's trying to set her free... I have no idea what these crazy bullies are DOING?!! LOL :blink:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You need to get full control over Brie... place her in a sit / stay. This is going to really work on you -- if she moves, stop what you are doing and put her back in a sit/stay. Then treat her for staying in place after you finish when you are doing... Nothing in Life is Free (google) it is a great tool to teach pack leadership and make her work for what she wants.

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
You need to get full control over Brie... place her in a sit / stay. This is going to really work on you -- if she moves, stop what you are doing and put her back in a sit/stay. Then treat her for staying in place after you finish when you are doing... Nothing in Life is Free (google) it is a great tool to teach pack leadership and make her work for what she wants.

Will do. I usually put her n a sit before petting etc and she is great otherwise as far as me being the pack leader. It is just her food and when I go to put the leashes on them. I did however pull out my bottle of bitter apple last night...I went to put the leash on Hunter, she did her usual I'm the boss thing n I grabbed the bottle. When she saw it, she ran lol

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Will do. I usually put her n a sit before petting etc and she is great otherwise as far as me being the pack leader. It is just her food and when I go to put the leashes on them. I did however pull out my bottle of bitter apple last night...I went to put the leash on Hunter, she did her usual I'm the boss thing n I grabbed the bottle. When she saw it, she ran lol

LOL thats funny. Its the youngest child syndrome. Youngest get spoiled and they think they can get away with being naughty :nono:

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
LOL thats funny. Its the youngest child syndrome. Youngest get spoiled and they think they can get away with being naughty :nono:

Yep n boy is she spoiled...I think the more that I work w her tho it will help. She really is hilarious not letting any of the other dogs down the stairs unless it is after me..well, then after her..lol sad thing is the 2 older dogs could give two :poo: about the while thing.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

use the bottle all the time and look into NILIF

OP
Lisabear123

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
use the bottle all the time and look into NILIF

Good news! I guess the bottle bugged her enough, plus w me getting back into leader mode has helped. She will still start after them but when I say no, she stops and stands there or walks away - sort of- but i can get the leashes on them w no issue. Paws crossed I can keep it going!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good news! I guess the bottle bugged her enough, plus w me getting back into leader mode has helped. She will still start after them but when I say no, she stops and stands there or walks away - sort of- but i can get the leashes on them w no issue. Paws crossed I can keep it going!

awesome... stay consistent! banks will be 8 in about a month and it is all still an everyday part of life - has to be

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.