Help Needed! rescue exhibiting very aggressive behavior - please help

devlishangelinca

May 23, 2013
Sacramento, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
We are first time bulldog owners and adopted Boris 4 1/2 months ago from the Northern California Bulldog Rescue Foundation. He is approximately 2 years old and an absolutely adorable sweetheart. We signed up for obedience school within the month of adopting him for leash issues and basic behavior. In the last 2 weeks he has been exhibiting very aggressive behavior when we are out walking (we walk him twice a day--morning and evening). He is trying to attack bicyclists, skateboarders and just tonight was growling, barking and lunging after a runner and a small child that was at the park. We immediately loaded him up in the car and brought him home. The only thing I can attribute to this odd and scary behavior is that he was diagnosed with a fungal infection in his ear on July 19th (the behavior started earlier that week). He has been on Ketoconazole (1- 200 mg daily) and Surolan (twice daily in the ear). His infection has cleared up but with his behavior I am afraid to keep giving him the daily meds. We also contacted Albree dog training (where he went to obedience school) and will be taking him back Wednesday evening for an assessment. I am going to call the vet first thing in the morning but am wondering if anyone else has had this experience with these meds or is it just two-year old behavior? We want to be able to socialize him and not worry about taking him out into public. This is the first time we were afraid to have him out in public. Any tips, advice or encouragement are greatly appreciated. Thanks Maggie

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
:smileywelcome: to EBN someone will be by to give you some advise. Thank you for rescuing Boris. It could be a reaction from meds or a fear from his past. Any antibiotics should be finished otherwise the his issues might come back. Talk to your vet before stopping. My best suggestion is to take something on your walk to break his focus like a favorite toy or treat practice the watch me command and make him focus on you when a person, bike, ect is near. When he stops his bad behavior or the person, bike has passed give him his treat or toy.

When I walk my dogs I make them sit until the person, bike, dogs ect... has passed. I correct them in the sit position if they start to have any reaction to the passing person/ dog ect..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice [MENTION=8050]Ashleym[/MENTION]

Thank you for rescuing him! I know that pain can lead to aggression, perhaps his ear even though cleared still hurts?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
We are first time bulldog owners and adopted Boris 4 1/2 months ago from the Northern California Bulldog Rescue Foundation. He is approximately 2 years old and an absolutely adorable sweetheart. We signed up for obedience school within the month of adopting him for leash issues and basic behavior. In the last 2 weeks he has been exhibiting very aggressive behavior when we are out walking (we walk him twice a day--morning and evening). He is trying to attack bicyclists, skateboarders and just tonight was growling, barking and lunging after a runner and a small child that was at the park. We immediately loaded him up in the car and brought him home. The only thing I can attribute to this odd and scary behavior is that he was diagnosed with a fungal infection in his ear on July 19th (the behavior started earlier that week). He has been on Ketoconazole (1- 200 mg daily) and Surolan (twice daily in the ear). His infection has cleared up but with his behavior I am afraid to keep giving him the daily meds. We also contacted Albree dog training (where he went to obedience school) and will be taking him back Wednesday evening for an assessment. I am going to call the vet first thing in the morning but am wondering if anyone else has had this experience with these meds or is it just two-year old behavior? We want to be able to socialize him and not worry about taking him out into public. This is the first time we were afraid to have him out in public. Any tips, advice or encouragement are greatly appreciated. Thanks Maggie
I would have the vet look in the ear and make sure it is cleared up, not just assume it is cleared up because the meds are done. Not all ear problems clear up on the first try especially in bullies. If he is still hurting from the ear that might explain some of the behavior. Ear problems in bullies can also be allergy and food related. Smart move to take him back in for an assessment at Albree. This is not normal 2 year old behavior. Make sure the vet checks his vision in case there is something not correct and he is getting startled which is leading to the lunging/growling. Touch him all over head to toe and see if he reacts to pain anywhere if he does report that to the vet. That is the medical stuff. Lets send you to [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] for the behavior stuff. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great advice from the members.... also, keep in mind, if you are nervous or anticipating his 'bad' behavior, he is sensing that and reacting to it. Sort like.. you see a person, bike, etc coming and you tense up on the leash... he believes he has to react to 'protect'.

Hope he feels better soon ... please let us know how things are going

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Great advice from the members.... also, keep in mind, if you are nervous or anticipating his 'bad' behavior, he is sensing that and reacting to it. Sort like.. you see a person, bike, etc coming and you tense up on the leash... he believes he has to react to 'protect'.

Hope he feels better soon ... please let us know how things are going

Excellent point. Boris is just finding his place in your pack -- BE THE PACK LEADER HE NEEDS (and wants!!!). If you are fearful when you take him out in public, you will only create more anxiety (and the subsequent reaction he gives).

I imagine - or hope - the rescue evaluated Boris' behaviors carefully before placing him with your family. Did they say anything about this?

Thank you for adopting. You have an opportunity here to build a relationship that will do more than "save" this sweet boy. :heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.