Help Needed! I'm new, pup is new, we need advice pls!

mommaofbrutus

Aug 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
hi all! I have recently adopted a 7 month old bully. We have been working on housebreaking him for the past week and I have noticed that he doesn't hold his peepee for more than 2-2.5 hrs, so I have been walking him outside the building to the grass area within those time frames. Sometimes he even goes every hour, and it would be in random spots in the house. I use natures miracle to clean it and tried placing weewee pads in those spots, but he would never return there to pee on them. Rather, he lays on it and sleeps. Then, I noticed in the last two days that he goes on the weewee pad I leave in his crate. At first I thought it was just another random spot, but he has done it more than 3 times at this point. I don't always catch him and even when I do, I just try to stop him and then immediately bring him outside. Instead of peeing on the weewee pad outside the crate, he only pees on the pad inside of it.

Also, this week I've left him in his crate twice for two hrs each time while I ran errands. I made sure I walked him before I left and despite my efforts, I came home to him having soiled his crate both times. But each night, we let him sleep in the same crate and he holds it and whimpers to wake me up for a walk. I can't figure it out!

My fellow bully owners, how can we remediate this? I want to have him use the weewee pads outside his crate, and also I want him to hold his pee for longer. After all, he can hold it when he sleeps in his crate for at least 7-8 hrs each night. I will need to find work soon and will need to be away for about 4-5 hrs midday. I want to ensure I'm taking the proper steps to have him successfully be housebroken and just nap while I'm gone.

thank you for any advice given!!!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
take the pad out of the crate first and he may be suffering separation anxiety and that may be how he is letting you know he is upset. Of course that may not be it at all and I'm sure others can give you better insight good luck!

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

Angie1969

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
Hi, I used the pee pads when our bully was much younger, he didn't use it often
I really don't think they work, it just confuses them. While you are home put him outside as often as possible so he gets the idea, it took our bully a long time but at 6 months he got it. He is 8 months old now, and he's mastered it, holds it all night, sleeps in a crate,when we go out, he goes in his crate willing, no messes. Why wasn't he trained by the previous owners is beyond me. 7 months old he should know!. There is a general rule his age add 1 is how long he can stay in his crate
And hold it. But keep trying he will get it they all do.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
:smileywelcome: to EBN. Love to see some pictures of Brutus. It sounds like the previous owners did not potty train him. [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] has a great way to potty train pups. It sounds like you will have start from scratch. I am sure she will be by soon to give you some suggestions. First thing take the potty pad out of his crate. Dogs naturally should not want to potty in area they sleep in. Use treats and exaggerated praise when he goes outside. I promise with patience and consistency he will get it.

Angie1969

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
When you take him outside, use a cue.
Such as go potty, or go pee. Time and patience is required!. Been there done that!. He will get it!!.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
First of all, if he can hold it all night he is not having a physical problem. Definitely take any bedding out. Treat him like a new pup and reduce the area in the crate to just big enough to stand up and turn around. At 7 months he should be able to hold it all night. Was he housebroken when you got him? I don't think he was..any accident means he is NOT housebroken. Back to basics...

small area in crate
no bedding in crate
no roaming free in house
put him on leash in house and watch him like a hawk. He goes nowhere without you! If you need to do something, take him out to potty and then into crate.
for the first couple weeks take him out every hour ..after eating and playing.
gradually increase time in crate. Take him out right before and after he gets in crate
this might seem like a Royal Pain in the a**.. But it works. Having an untrained dog is far worse.

:)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Welcome to the site. You have been given great advice from those above me.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] has some great info, and it works.

OP
M

mommaofbrutus

Aug 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Thank you all!

his previous owners gave him free roam of the backyard as they lived in a house in a suburban area, whereas we are in an apartment complex and he now needs to be walked instead of just going on his own.

I've learned to use treats and throw "potty parties" when he goes outside, and I have been consistently doing so, walking him every two hrs. I wish I could go less often but I know patience is key.

I will remove the pad in the crate as suggested. I've seen him sit in his own soils before so it doesn't seem to be the case where he wouldn't want to sit where he has peed or poo'ed. It's so disheartening to leave him for two hrs to come back to a messy crate even though he was walked before I left. I just want to be able to leave him in his crate with toys for a few hrs and come back to a clean doggie!

I will keep going at it and not give up! Thanks everyone!!

- - - Updated - - -

also, how do I post a picture?? :p

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Just keep at it. I know how frustrating it is most of us has gone thru it but one day you will come home to a clean pup and that will be the ahh ha! moment when everything clicks. Sounds like Brutus has been thru a lot with a lot of change. Change can be tough for bullies they like things to stay the same. Some bullies are very OCD and have funny quirks (thats why we love them) :havemyheart:

OP
M

mommaofbrutus

Aug 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
image.jpg
Found it! Here's Brutus today at the park!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thank you all!

his previous owners gave him free roam of the backyard as they lived in a house in a suburban area, whereas we are in an apartment complex and he now needs to be walked instead of just going on his own.

I've learned to use treats and throw "potty parties" when he goes outside, and I have been consistently doing so, walking him every two hrs. I wish I could go less often but I know patience is key.

I will remove the pad in the crate as suggested. I've seen him sit in his own soils before so it doesn't seem to be the case where he wouldn't want to sit where he has peed or poo'ed. It's so disheartening to leave him for two hrs to come back to a messy crate even though he was walked before I left. I just want to be able to leave him in his crate with toys for a few hrs and come back to a clean doggie!

I will keep going at it and not give up! Thanks everyone!!

- - - Updated - - -

also, how do I post a picture?? :p

I have done this post three times and keep getting booted offline right when I post! :angry: let's try again!

Your beautiful Brutus has never been properly or even improperly housebroken. Roaming outside is not knowing how to behave in the house. To have a happy home..you must do the right thing!

the use of a tether is imperative. Where you go..he goes. You watch him like a hawk for any signs he is thinking about going potty. Every hour, during the day, take him out to potty. And after eating and playing. Try to take him to the same place..he will begin to associate it with going. If you need to go somewhere or do something without him, take him out to potty..then immediately in the crate. Upon returning, take him right out to pee and then on the tether again. No FREE ROAMING!!

The crate must be no bigger than giving him enough room to stand up and turn around. Try not to leave him in crate or more than 2 hours at a time, during the day, while training him. No pee pads..or bedding. If he goes potty..clean well and keep on going. You can do this! I Know you can!

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:goodpost:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Rachelle

May 12, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kirby
Welcome to you both! Brutus is so handsome! You've received excellent advice and I don't feel I have anything to add :) Just stay strong and stick to it. It sounds like he's definitely going through a lot of changes and just needs time and guidance. He'll be a good loving bully for you soon!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.