Help Needed! Older dog versus the puppy...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Winston has been getting into this habit of getting on Roxie's hips and biting at her ears... normally she's tolerant of it, but last night she had hit her LIMIT!!! Roxie is 9 years old, and even though she's pretty active & in great health she is worn out by the end of the day. She was giving him the warning growl & of course he kept at it... I put him in his crate for a timeout because obviously this just egged him on to do more. I've never had 2 dog's w/this age difference and I was wondering should I intervene when this happens or let them work it out?!! Obviously I wouldn't let them get into a bloody battle, but I'm just curious as to whether it would be better for them to work it out themselves so maybe Mr. Winston will get the hint?!! :confused:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Its a tough one -from my own experience (that didn't end up well adopted dog with problems turned v.agressive) i usually separated them both for the time out -it will prevent possibility of a fight and give both of dogs time to calm down
On the other hand the younger pup need to learn "the rules" of what he can and cant do -
Lily and Shy are great match (but we have only 1 year difference) yet shy will give lily a warning snap if she is pushing to far or try to eat from her food bowl after she finish hers-lily seem to learn the house rules x

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I'm no help here Sheldon is my gentle giant my mother in laws tea cup yorkie has possession aggression and that includes Sheldon's toys.

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I think sometimes the dogs can work it out themselves. Roxie was giving him a warning, which many dogs would have understood. Is he trying to establish himself as top dog with this "play?" At 9 years old, it might be tough for her to follow through with her warning and put him in his place.

Last edited:
OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I think that he is trying to say he's the Alpha MALE... When Bella was still w/us he would sleep w/her & have playtime w/Roxie. Bella wasn't really interested in playing w/him for some reason. Now Bella is gone, so he hangs out w/Roxie for all of it. She will let him sleep w/her & does pretty good w/the playtime, but at night after our walk she is an old lady & ready for BED!!! I think the walks kinds pep Winston up, he seems to get crazy when we walk in the house... LOL I will have to watch them at tonight & see how it goes. I hate to hover over them, I know he needs to learn his place...:retreat:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
One thing i noticed with every puppy i had they are always very active in the evening -not sure if every puppy is like that but all of mine where going bonkers around 9 ;-)
Maybe if you got time play with the pup to wear him out ;-)))) while "Old lady" get her sleep x

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
One thing i noticed with every puppy i had they are always very active in the evening -not sure if every puppy is like that but all of mine where going bonkers around 9 ;-)
Maybe if you got time play with the pup to wear him out ;-)))) while "Old lady" get her sleep x
Oh I totally agree!!! We had just gone on a walk last night, so Winston should of been tired. He was going crazy last night!!! LOL

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Pups do need to learn from the older dogs, but you can also step in when you see it fixing to get out of hand to prevent a fight.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Tracey, i know what you mean. Brie doesn't get the warning growls n nips either. She def tries to become top dog. We have a 10 yo mix - Australian Shepard and hound. He tolerates her until he has had enough. Then when he lets her know it, she gets into 'oh no you didn't mode'. I end up pulling her away from him. He is really good, he could fit her whole head in his mouth if he wanted but he just doesn't want to go there. She attacked him the other night cos he got too close to her food bowl. I'm hoping in time things will settle..as she gets older maybe they will become friends. They are fine as long as she isn't trying to over do it w him or he isn't around her food. I've established alpha status for the most part, I do look for signs of escalation and block etc but when it's on..it is really on.i don't know if they can work it out, establish their pack roles etc without one actually getting hurt.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tracey, i know what you mean. Brie doesn't get the warning growls n nips either. She def tries to become top dog. We have a 10 yo mix - Australian Shepard and hound. He tolerates her until he has had enough. Then when he lets her know it, she gets into 'oh no you didn't mode'. I end up pulling her away from him. He is really good, he could fit her whole head in his mouth if he wanted but he just doesn't want to go there. She attacked him the other night cos he got too close to her food bowl. I'm hoping in time things will settle..as she gets older maybe they will become friends. They are fine as long as she isn't trying to over do it w him or he isn't around her food. I've established alpha status for the most part, I do look for signs of escalation and block etc but when it's on..it is really on.i don't know if they can work it out, establish their pack roles etc without one actually getting hurt.
We have only had 2 females together, so I'm wondering if the male/female mix has anything to do w/it to. I know Roxie could really hurt Winston if she wanted to, but she is SO gentle. I have never seen such a large dog w/such a laid back personality... of course Winston may change that... LOL So far I haven't had the food issues... I feed them both at the same time of course Winston finishes first, and he will get right on top of Roxie, but he just watches he's never tried to eat anything. I'm amazed how easy that has been :blink:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Pups do need to learn from the older dogs, but you can also step in when you see it fixing to get out of hand to prevent a fight.

Great Advice! The older will set their limits. But it's always been..No Chewing on Body Parts..at our house! Then we separate and the younger knows why!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
We have only had 2 females together, so I'm wondering if the male/female mix has anything to do w/it to. I know Roxie could really hurt Winston if she wanted to, but she is SO gentle. I have never seen such a large dog w/such a laid back personality... of course Winston may change that... LOL So far I haven't had the food issues... I feed them both at the same time of course Winston finishes first, and he will get right on top of Roxie, but he just watches he's never tried to eat anything. I'm amazed how easy that has been :blink:

Not sure, I've always heard same sex fight more. It just amazes me that this little puppy is so domineering. The big oh, Gimli, is so sweet. You can see as much as he is defending himself by barking back he is turning hi head away n trying o get away cos he just went to bite her. He is a ppl pleaser so he was incredibly easy to train. Brie has now learned fully his to sit, down and hi-five. I'm very proud of them! Now to get thm to be buddies! Lol

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure, I've always heard same sex fight more. It just amazes me that this little puppy is so domineering. The big oh, Gimli, is so sweet. You can see as much as he is defending himself by barking back he is turning hi head away n trying o get away cos he just went to bite her. He is a ppl pleaser so he was incredibly easy to train. Brie has now learned fully his to sit, down and hi-five. I'm very proud of them! Now to get thm to be buddies! Lol
We got females at first because I had heard that female dogs were really good w/little kids, which is true... I think my hubby really wanted a male this time. I have not started much training w/Winston w/all our drama going on this summer. He is finally potty trained, and he does sit... He's going to an AKC puppy class starting this month. I'm hoping to get him more socialized besides Roxie, and hopefully he will catch-up on some training... LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would let them work it out, but keep eye on on them and intervene if necessary. 9years old or not, she needs to let him know the limits and she will.

Banks will be 8 in a few weeks and she sure in heck lets Cheli know when he has gone too far

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.