Aggressive behavior and needing advice.

Bootsieboo

Jan 4, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Boots
Our 1 year old female fixed English bulldog as been showing some signs of aggression. The first couple times it was towards strangers during a walk who just walked right up to her and also a loose dog that came running up but was not showing aggressive behavior. Anyway I felt like she had some right to be on guard or possessive of us, her family. Well yesterday she got really aggressive and tried to bite my 4 year old, because my daughter was trying to reach for her harness to guid her off our couch. I mean I was totally shocked at the behavior from the dog towards my daughter. I'm now very uneasy as we also have a 1 year old and friends with small children. My husband says she has to be re homed and I agree for the most part. But I also think she has been a super sweet dog and until now has never been anything but gentle. I don't want to rush to a regretful decision on either end. I don't want to make excuses and think we can work through it and have something worse happen yet, I don't want to get rid of her and have regrets that way either. We are her 2nd home we have had her for 7 months. Do you have any words of wisdom or advice? This is our 1st bulldog but we have had all sorts of breeds in the past and currently have a pit bull mix who is 10. They get along fine but boots the bulldog has shown signs of aggressive behavior towards other dogs.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i think this would get more replies in the behavior section as we have several here who may be able to help. would you like me to move this for you? @Bootsieboo

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I can only offer advice as to what has helped me with my Miila. Ebn has wonderful knowledgeable members who will help you with other ideas as well. Hand feeding has done wonders in my home. Make her work for her food. Feed her last of the pups. Have her sit/stay and watch the others eat. Sounds cruel but it gives you the power back in her eyes as the pack leader. Wen it is her turn to eat, give a handful at a time. Slowly. Each time have her practice different tricks before you allow her to eat the food out of your hand. Once she has the hang of it,I would include your 4 year old in this as well. Showing her that she is also a pack leader. Takes a while for it to work completely and you may have to revisit this when she gets comfortable and gets mouthy again. With my Miila, it seems like every 6 months or so she gets mouthy, thinking she can make a move. Going back to this as the basics gets her right back in line every time.

This is scary for you I know. Try to have patience and keep close having control when the kids r around her. Scary when kids r involved, I know. I have a 2 and 4 year old as well, so I totally understand how you r feeling.

OP
B

Bootsieboo

Jan 4, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Boots
Thank you that sounds like great advice. Boots is not a very patient dog and this would help her learn some patients. I like the idea of having my 4 year old be involved and teaching boots she is the boss ;). Currently my 4 year old is scared of her and I understand that. I am nervous and I'm sure that Boots picks up on that. Currently we are being very careful to always be right there if boots is around the kids and that makes me feel sad. We are so torn. Obviously we will put our kids safety first. But we also made a commitment to Boots by getting her. I want to show my kids that everyone deserves a 2nd chance but I don't want to be foolish and have something happen. Would the genreal feeling be that this is a situation that can be worked through allowing us to trust her? I've never had any experience with this type of situation. I welcome all advice and tips. We plan to also speak to our vet about it and possibly find a trainer that can help work with us.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well all pups r different but if you have had her for so long and it is only just starting, I would think you could work thru it. Many have used behaviorists as well. Not a trainer but a behaviorist who could come and help teach you how to read her etc. she can feel your fear and that will empower her. The feelings this way really empowered me with Miila. I knew I had that power and she could feel that energy too which helped. I also submitted but honestly I am dont think that had the same effect as the hand feeding. I would have your 4 year old watch you while you feed her for a while. Once she has it down and your daughter starts feeling more comfortable I would allow her to help.

Miila was aggressive towards my other 2 pups, not the kids. BUT the fights broke out constantly and everywhere. Which scared me that the babies could end up in the middle of blood shed. It took a good 4-6 months to get complete control over her. I saw improvement immediately but they try to regress back as a test so you have to be the calm patient one and just plan on being there for the long haul. Honestly the last big fight Miila had was right next to my then 1 year old and it was my breaking point. Had been dealing with it for months already and had seen much improvement but it was just wearing on me. I got bit in that fight and told hubby that maybe we should rehome her so that everyone could be safe. He was my calm voice and said no, she is a good pup. He was right. It was their last major blowout and after that it has been mostly perfect. I would have been so sad to have given up on her and she was so close. Thankfully hubby balanced my emotions on that one.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Since this is all sudden behavior.... what has change in the household orin her routine, anything? Have you had her checked by the vet for any pain issues?

Also, if you or anyone in the household is nervous or scared, the canine will pick up on this and feel they must protect or 'attack' to protect as they can smell/sense fear.

Look up the training tool... 'noting in life is free' get back to basics with her and re-establish the trust and pack order. Be sure the whole family is involved.

best of luck and please keep us posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.