The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Wow Marine! You guys have done a lot of work with Harlea! I guess we decided on professional training because neither of us have one inkling of a clue on how to do things. With all of my research, that's the one thing I didn't even look into. "How to do it yourself." If anyone has any resources you'd recommend, I would definitely like to take a look! :)

There are all kinds of videos on youtube that give good advice. Any one can train a puppy as long as you have patience and don't let yourself get frustrated. We always start with sit and go from there. One of the keys to success is multiple short working sessions a day instead of one long session due to their very short attention spans. Normally we have a minimum of 4 15 minute sessions a day with a maximum of 6 sessions.

Last edited:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Marine is right here -i never got any pro training for my dogs as long they knew basics i was ok -there are loads of great youtube videos ,keep training short so puppy wont get bored and you be fine
The biggest problem i had was when i adopted my deaf dog -no trainer wanted to help me -so i got angry -and ...within 6 months Shy learned all the tricks (44 or 46 cant remember) and currently shes helping my disabled husband with day to day stuff as a "unofficial" service dog
The bottom line is - if i could do it you can to ;-)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm all for both situations. Hiring a professional can help teach you how to be a trainer, which will give you advantages. So much of training and being a good trainer isn't just teaching a trick, its about showing them you are their leader, their guide, their parent. It's not so much about training your pet as it is training you how to be a good leader. Going to training classes can also help bond you and have a little fun too.

I've learned so much by reading on EBN and by watching TV shows, it's almost like hiring a professional! So in the end, the choice is just how you decide you want to approach it. :up:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I personally wouldn't even begin to know how to step back and have someone show me how I'm a control freak where Shelly Bean is concerned it probably would have been good for us but I mostly went by my instincts and research and some off of Cesar Milan to train Sheldon we too are working on hand signals he has sit wave high five and come down pat lol we are working on stay...

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well..I don't think "duped". Lol! But...it certainly seems like a very intensive program for a wee pup. I sent my sister a message ..she was trained at a school in Texas and specialized in training dogs for border control and the military. From there she does problem dogs and also offers a live/learn course. She thinks 6 months would be the minimum and one of her concerns..is..a brand new pup..needs to bond with her family..NOT a trainer. You can and should teach her lots of basic puppy stuff. Sit..stay..down..those aren't difficult. Honestly, in my humble opinion..get to know her..love her and go from there. What bad habits is she going to get? You can certainly control these..

100% agree with this post ^^^^^

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
We use hand signals for Loki as well each command has a different motion i.e., stay is a flat open hand, sit is all fingers pressed together like a birds beak, lay down we point to the ground. Most of the commands and signals are usually accompanied by a snap since it seems to get his attention better. I would try the smaller training on your own and if she needs it when she is older cross that bridge when you get there :) Good luck with you new bully they are a handful and worth every second!

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Marine is right here -i never got any pro training for my dogs as long they knew basics i was ok -there are loads of great youtube videos ,keep training short so puppy wont get bored and you be fine
The biggest problem i had was when i adopted my deaf dog -no trainer wanted to help me -so i got angry -and ...within 6 months Shy learned all the tricks (44 or 46 cant remember) and currently shes helping my disabled husband with day to day stuff as a "unofficial" service dog
The bottom line is - if i could do it you can to ;-)

Wow that is an amazing little fact about Shy! I would love to see videos ;) Maybe Loki could learn a thing or two :blowkiss:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Wow that is an amazing little fact about Shy! I would love to see videos ;) Maybe Loki could learn a thing or two :blowkiss:

If you type on youtube shy deaf puppy training or my name and surname -there should be some videos ;-)
Lily sadly isnt that clued up -and it is very very hard to teach her basics -but what can i expect from my clumsy girl ;-))

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
Well..I don't think "duped". Lol! But...it certainly seems like a very intensive program for a wee pup. I sent my sister a message ..she was trained at a school in Texas and specialized in training dogs for border control and the military. From there she does problem dogs and also offers a live/learn course. She thinks 6 months would be the minimum and one of her concerns..is..a brand new pup..needs to bond with her family..NOT a trainer. You can and should teach her lots of basic puppy stuff. Sit..stay..down..those aren't difficult. Honestly, in my humble opinion..get to know her..love her and go from there. What bad habits is she going to get? You can certainly control these..

I also agree 100% with this comment^^^^^

Most Reactions