EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Getting Nervous about Professional Training

Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    @ddnene We are working on a short little video as our vet asked up to put one together that they could show to other bully owners. We should have it done in a few weeks. It is not going to be anything of great length or professional. Just short, sweet and to the point.
    I have never been able to get a dog to rollover... I'm impressed already!!! LOL

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I have never been able to get a dog to rollover... I'm impressed already!!! LOL
    She started doing it a bit when we were working on tickle monster to rub her belly and she started doing it on her own for the most part. That on only gets worked on in the early afternoon.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Khaleesi
    Likes (Received)

Wow Marine! You guys have done a lot of work with Harlea! I guess we decided on professional training because neither of us have one inkling of a clue on how to do things. With all of my research, that's the one thing I didn't even look into. "How to do it yourself." If anyone has any resources you'd recommend, I would definitely like to take a look!

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AngAngeles13 View Post
    Wow Marine! You guys have done a lot of work with Harlea! I guess we decided on professional training because neither of us have one inkling of a clue on how to do things. With all of my research, that's the one thing I didn't even look into. "How to do it yourself." If anyone has any resources you'd recommend, I would definitely like to take a look!
    There are all kinds of videos on youtube that give good advice. Any one can train a puppy as long as you have patience and don't let yourself get frustrated. We always start with sit and go from there. One of the keys to success is multiple short working sessions a day instead of one long session due to their very short attention spans. Normally we have a minimum of 4 15 minute sessions a day with a maximum of 6 sessions.
    Last edited by Marine91; 08-04-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Marine is right here -i never got any pro training for my dogs as long they knew basics i was ok -there are loads of great youtube videos ,keep training short so puppy wont get bored and you be fine
    The biggest problem i had was when i adopted my deaf dog -no trainer wanted to help me -so i got angry -and ...within 6 months Shy learned all the tricks (44 or 46 cant remember) and currently shes helping my disabled husband with day to day stuff as a "unofficial" service dog
    The bottom line is - if i could do it you can to ;-)
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I'm all for both situations. Hiring a professional can help teach you how to be a trainer, which will give you advantages. So much of training and being a good trainer isn't just teaching a trick, its about showing them you are their leader, their guide, their parent. It's not so much about training your pet as it is training you how to be a good leader. Going to training classes can also help bond you and have a little fun too.

I've learned so much by reading on EBN and by watching TV shows, it's almost like hiring a professional! So in the end, the choice is just how you decide you want to approach it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I personally wouldn't even begin to know how to step back and have someone show me how I'm a control freak where Shelly Bean is concerned it probably would have been good for us but I mostly went by my instincts and research and some off of Cesar Milan to train Sheldon we too are working on hand signals he has sit wave high five and come down pat lol we are working on stay...

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Well..I don't think "duped". Lol! But...it certainly seems like a very intensive program for a wee pup. I sent my sister a message ..she was trained at a school in Texas and specialized in training dogs for border control and the military. From there she does problem dogs and also offers a live/learn course. She thinks 6 months would be the minimum and one of her concerns..is..a brand new pup..needs to bond with her family..NOT a trainer. You can and should teach her lots of basic puppy stuff. Sit..stay..down..those aren't difficult. Honestly, in my humble opinion..get to know her..love her and go from there. What bad habits is she going to get? You can certainly control these..

100% agree with this post ^^^^^
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

We use hand signals for Loki as well each command has a different motion i.e., stay is a flat open hand, sit is all fingers pressed together like a birds beak, lay down we point to the ground. Most of the commands and signals are usually accompanied by a snap since it seems to get his attention better. I would try the smaller training on your own and if she needs it when she is older cross that bridge when you get there Good luck with you new bully they are a handful and worth every second!
    "If our dogs don't like you we probably won't either"

Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pati Robins View Post
    Marine is right here -i never got any pro training for my dogs as long they knew basics i was ok -there are loads of great youtube videos ,keep training short so puppy wont get bored and you be fine
    The biggest problem i had was when i adopted my deaf dog -no trainer wanted to help me -so i got angry -and ...within 6 months Shy learned all the tricks (44 or 46 cant remember) and currently shes helping my disabled husband with day to day stuff as a "unofficial" service dog
    The bottom line is - if i could do it you can to ;-)
    Wow that is an amazing little fact about Shy! I would love to see videos Maybe Loki could learn a thing or two
    "If our dogs don't like you we probably won't either"

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lokismom View Post
    Wow that is an amazing little fact about Shy! I would love to see videos Maybe Loki could learn a thing or two
    If you type on youtube shy deaf puppy training or my name and surname -there should be some videos ;-)
    Lily sadly isnt that clued up -and it is very very hard to teach her basics -but what can i expect from my clumsy girl ;-))
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Real Name
    Brian
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Brandi (RIP), Jackson (RIP),Ca$h (RIP), Miss Daisey, Sir Winford, Charlee, Darla, and Stuart
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Well..I don't think "duped". Lol! But...it certainly seems like a very intensive program for a wee pup. I sent my sister a message ..she was trained at a school in Texas and specialized in training dogs for border control and the military. From there she does problem dogs and also offers a live/learn course. She thinks 6 months would be the minimum and one of her concerns..is..a brand new pup..needs to bond with her family..NOT a trainer. You can and should teach her lots of basic puppy stuff. Sit..stay..down..those aren't difficult. Honestly, in my humble opinion..get to know her..love her and go from there. What bad habits is she going to get? You can certainly control these..
    I also agree 100% with this comment^^^^^

I kissed a Bulldog and I loved it.....there is nothing better in this world than a Senior Bulldog.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads