First day at doggy daycare - bullying the other dogs!

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
Yesterday was Bosco's first half-day at doggy daycare - he loved it and didn't stop playing for the entire 5 hours he was there. But the owner had an earful of complaints for me when I came to pick him up!

Apparently when the other dogs tired out and didn't want to play anymore, Bosco wouldn't leave them alone. He kept up with his nipping/biting and was even humping one dog repeatedly - even when the other dogs shut down and started ignoring him.

By the sounds of it, little 13 week old Bosco was bullying all of the other adult dogs who were twice his size! The daycare owner said that he is a very alpha/dominant male pup - and his behaviour needs to be curbed. Luckily she did say she would allow him back though.

Anybody else have a pup that bullies other dogs?? :eek: Does increased socialization normally stop this behaviour?

In other news - he's been an angelic puppy ever since he got back yesterday evening. He hasn't attacked us once, and has been incredibly sleepy and calm! Daycare might just be the solution to my life's problems.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I think with time and more socialization it will stop. He is 13 weeks and full of spit and vinegar. Good luck. To me I feel like it's just joy to be around others and it will change up a bit. Just keep an eye on it.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Remember its his first time at day camp. He was probably over excited to see other dogs. Hopefully his next visit will be better if not he will one day meet a dog that will put him in his place. We take ours 1-2 times a week to day camp and he has learned to play nice and give the other dogs space they also have a web cam so we can watch from home or our cell phone. Fergus also liked to hump but once we got him fixed at 5 months it pretty much stopped.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is a PUPPY!?? It will lessen as he goes ...socializing and training will help it too.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
He is a puppy! He was excited! He will learn to fit in with the pack. I am not sure you can even call what he did bullying, I call it being 13 weeks old. If the other dogs ignored him what is the problem? Don't let him get labeled as a bully. I think he was just trying to find his place in the pack.

Take him back there and see how he does. It sounds like it was a great experience for him and for you. If the daycare owner doesn't want your money she can tell you that. You are doing what is best for Bosco!

Angie1969

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
Hi I've brought Taz to daycare about 6 times now, he is neutered and he has calm down with the humping part. But today when we picked him up from daycare, dawn said he was humping a bit and they just stopped it, I was surprise because he never does this around us!. he was fine the rest of his stay.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Well he is a bully. They get their name justly. He was just having his day and enjoying the fun of it all. But yes at times it can pose somewhat of a problem. Don't you just love them?

mbd963

May 12, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ramsay
This sounds exactly like Ramsay. He's 17 weeks and he's always the dog running around and trying to play with the other dogs - even if they don't want to. Usually they'll snap at him if he's humping them (We've had one bad episode where he actually got bit) but the puppy needs to learn that not every dog wants to play! Maybe have a conversation with the daycare runner and see if they'll take him back.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
They are like rambunctious and rowdy adolescent and teenage boys. They can have you at wits end at time but you still admire their spunk and roughhousing. I do at least, but don't get me wrong it has to be curtailed at times. You have to play it cool and act like your displeased and will settle it at home with your boy. Much like my day did with me but I could tell he was somewhat amused by it and same with my own son when he was a boy

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Brie is a bully, bully as well...she thinks she is queen . I'm Hoping it lessens as she gets older. She has been around dogs a lot and I know she likes to play, play, play but she doesn't know when to quit and doesnt seem to care if other dogs tell her to quit. I int want her to get hurt one day as a result.

Last edited:
OP
BoscosMom

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
He is definitely a bully - I saw it with my own eyes yesterday in puppy kindergarden. He won't leave the other dogs alone, even when they clearly don't want to play! Now I know why they're called bully's!

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
He is definitely a bully - I saw it with my own eyes yesterday in puppy kindergarden. He won't leave the other dogs alone, even when they clearly don't want to play! Now I know why they're called bully's!

I am so glad to hear that he got to go back! Does he get to go again? Does the owner have any suggestions for you?

KentuckyBully

Jun 28, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mickey and Minnie
I don't want to sound harsh, but the person who is running the daycare really doesn't know much about the bully breed. I say this as we have two puppies and after spending weeks in puppy social with them and talking to the trainer, I learned this is what bullies do...mine do that and when they get over stimulated and start "bullying" others we give them a collar time out. He's a puppy and a bully. He is going to do this. All it takes it teaching him what expectations are and how to settle down and things will be fine. You are doing all the right things by allowing your puppy to be social. Besides puppy social weekly, we tried to take ours out like to the park, up to school, to the store, etc. the more you get him out the better it will be.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Geesh, the other "parents" need to chill. He's just a baby and will do baby things, good grief! He'll grow out of it but was probably on over load from all the new smells, etc. Hopefully you'll be able to continue with the day care. Maybe they need to separate the pups and adults if its that much of a problem.

asuman1179

Jan 9, 2012
Denver,CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Meatball did the same thing when he was a little guy. He out grew it for the most part. Still gets a little crazy with his buddies in the park.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.