First day at doggy daycare - bullying the other dogs!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Puppies this small seem to get a "pass" with adult dogs for a time. Most seem to know, the pup is a baby and some misbehavior is to be tolerated --- for a time.

I'm wondering what the daycare people's methodology was for curbing over excited behavior (which leads to humping, nipping, etc.) in their day care class? The pup isn't going to know what's not appreciated/appropriate/desired unless he's told so. Of course that doesn't mean yelling "OH BOSCO STOP" from across the room and then laughing at him. LOL (Hard not to do, I know!)

They say its in our dog's DNA to want to please his/her humans. How will they know what we want if we don't tell them --- in no uncertain terms -- clearly and succinctly in "dog language" (a way they understand)?

My niece was over visiting yesterday - she's 12 (acts 9) and LOVES these dogs. She's been told about over-excitement with Bo and she still gets him going. She talks in high pitched voice and sits on the floor and says, "Comon Bo! Comon Bo!" over and over. He licks her face and jumps on her and she giggles madly. He's having the time of his life. He can only maintain for so long and as his pack leader, it's my job to monitor his excitement levels and step in before he's completely over-stimulated --- and humping her leg. (which is how he deals with over excitement) If the kid lived here, she'd understand pack mentality and be expected to be a leader -- but she sees the dogs rarely so she's excited to play with them too. The kid's mother thinks humping is a sexual thing -- shows how dumb she is --- and yesterday, even got kind of offended. I'm like, "Amy, he's a TWO YEAR OLD PUPPY!", I continued, "Talk to me in that high pitched screetch, giggling like a nut and begging me to lick your face until it's soppy and I'll be humping your leg next. "

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.