Help Needed on Crate Training

Srhendon

Jul 24, 2013
FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Tyson is about 13 weeks old and i got him when he was 11 weeks so i have had him for two weeks and tyson has been on a strict crate training schedule. I model his schedule after "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by New Skeet (idk if anybody is too familiar with it) and in that schedule is he has about an hour of free time to play and about 2 or 3 hours in his crate. Tyson is really good in the crate. He doesnt really whine or cry when he is in there, but the major problem I have is that he pees in his crate and poops in his crate at night. He is basically defying the idea of crate training...He is defying dont poop or pee where you sleep. It isnt even a matter of space in his crate because i have a divider in there and it has enough room for him to turn around lay down and get up. I wake up this morning at 335am and he is laying in his own pee... it isnt even a matter of taking him out because i take him out at 11pm and cut his water off at 7.

Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Tyson is about 13 weeks old and i got him when he was 11 weeks so i have had him for two weeks and tyson has been on a strict crate training schedule. I model his schedule after "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by New Skeet (idk if anybody is too familiar with it) and in that schedule is he has about an hour of free time to play and about 2 or 3 hours in his crate. Tyson is really good in the crate. He doesnt really whine or cry when he is in there, but the major problem I have is that he pees in his crate and poops in his crate at night. He is basically defying the idea of crate training...He is defying dont poop or pee where you sleep. It isnt even a matter of space in his crate because i have a divider in there and it has enough room for him to turn around lay down and get up. I wake up this morning at 335am and he is laying in his own pee... it isnt even a matter of taking him out because i take him out at 11pm and cut his water off at 7.
Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?
Monks of new skeet are awesome. I used the crate schedule w Brie and dogs in the past from that book. Are you cleaning out the crate and using something like natures miracle to get I'd of the Scent? At 13 weeks, I was still taking Brie out every 2-3 hours throughout the night. Is there a way you can take him out more at night until he develops better control?

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Monks of new skeet are awesome. I used the crate schedule w Brie and dogs in the past from that book. Are you cleaning out the crate and using something like natures miracle to get I'd of the Scent? At 13 weeks, I was still taking Brie out every 2-3 hours throughout the night. Is there a way you can take him out more at night until he develops better control?
[MENTION=9425]Srhendon[/MENTION] I totally agree with Lisa 13 weeks is too young to sleep thru the night without an accident. You can lengthen the time to every 4-6 hours once he reaches 4 months by 5 months he should be able to go thru the night without an accident. I set my cell phone to go off every 3 hours when we got Fergus.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I set an alarm as well, but Brie was really good about whining (although she sounded more like a raccoon growling..lol) when she had to go so I was lucky there. I felt like I got ZERO sleep for the first few months. But it will def pay off if you can manage it somehow. You also really need to clean all her bedding and crate w nature's miracle ...it breaks down the enzymes that are left behind from pee n poo. Bleach doesn't kill the smell for a dog nose. If she can smell it there it will become a habit for her to keep going there whether she wants to or not. The schedule in the book does not tell you about over night, so it is confusing as to what you need to do. But honestly, she can't hold it at long at this point.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I set an alarm as well, but Brie was really good about whining (although she sounded more like a raccoon growling..lol) when she had to go so I was lucky there. I felt like I got ZERO sleep for the first few months. But it will def pay off if you can manage it somehow. You also really need to clean all her bedding and crate w nature's miracle ...it breaks down the enzymes that are left behind from pee n poo. Bleach doesn't kill the smell for a dog nose. If she can smell it there it will become a habit for her to keep going there whether she wants to or not. The schedule in the book does not tell you about over night, so it is confusing as to what you need to do. But honestly, she can't hold it at long at this point.

Your lucky Fergus never made a sound I would just find wet bedding if we didnt take him out when he needed to go. He had no problems sleeping in his own pee. Luckily he never pooped in his crate. The worst part of finding the wet bedding was having to give him so many baths. I had this fear that our house would start smelling like dog pee.

OP
Srhendon

Srhendon

Jul 24, 2013
FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Its not a matter of him making it through the night. I take him out at 4 am. I set an alarm for it. The point im getting at is he doesnt whine to go out or whimper he just pees and poops and lays in it. Yea im cleaning his crate every time with natures miracle and also with a mixture of club soda and white vinegar which will completely mask the smell. I understand he cant hold it. Its the fact that animals by nature dont want to pee or poop where they sleep.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Its not a matter of him making it through the night. I take him out at 4 am. I set an alarm for it. The point im getting at is he doesnt whine to go out or whimper he just pees and poops and lays in it. Yea im cleaning his crate every time with natures miracle and also with a mixture of club soda and white vinegar which will completely mask the smell. I understand he cant hold it. Its the fact that animals by nature dont want to pee or poop where they sleep.
Well, you are right. The average dog does not want to go where they sleep. What time are you taking him out before bed? Maybe set your alarm for earlier then 4 if he has already gone. I understand how frustrating it must be for you. I/we really are trying to help.

OP
Srhendon

Srhendon

Jul 24, 2013
FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Yea no i understand that. I didn't mean to come of angry or anything i Apologize if i did. Its just weird to me that he didnt mind peeing and pooping where he sleeps and didnt whine about it. I think i need to set a new schedule to take him out durning the night. You are right thought it is frustrating! :cursing:

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
We took Loki out all the time when we got him. We also made sure that he did his business while we were out. I also being crazy would wake up and check his "house" randomly throughout the night to see if we could catch him before he went. It will get easier it just takes time especially when they are still so little. Maybe try not putting bedding in the kennel with him I know with ours he had a small dog bed and he would pee on it but once we removed everything from the kennel the accidents or defiance stopped immediately. Good luck to you and Tyson :2thumbs:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I guess I have an oddball as Harlea is 13 weeks as well and she crashes at 9pm and is down for the count until about 5am and doesn't have any accidents and got upset when we would wake her up to take her out at 11pm, 2am and 4am so we started cutting back and just recently stopped the 4am as she would just go outside and lie back down no matter how long we would stay out there but come 5:30am she is ready to go and knows it is breakfast time. However, she did have a single accident in her crate about a week after we got her and we used the Natures Miracle and alcohol and water spray to clean it up making sure to get every nook and cranny. If there is even one itty bitty spot that you miss they will smell it and think it is ok to go. We repeat this ritual every day with her crate floor as she eats in there too and wash her bedding every 3 to 5 days.

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
My puppy is also 13 weeks - the first week we had him he peed in his crate once, and pooped in it once also (but he had diarreah so that might have been why). I soon realized that puppies can't sleep through the night, so I slept with one eye open and every time I heard him rustling around in his crate - I assumed he was awake and made him come out for a potty break. That would sometimes be every hour, but usually every 2 hours. Your problem might be that you're waiting too long to take him out for potty breaks. Try every 2 hours - it's a huge pain in the *** to wakeup and go outside in the middle of the night, but it's easier (and less horrific) than cleaning poo out of his crate the next morning.

After a couple weeks of doing this he started holding it through the night. Now we cut off his water at 7pm and he sleeps from 11pm to 730am without a problem.

Also, how big is his crate? Try making it a bit smaller so he only has room to stand up and turn around.

OP
Srhendon

Srhendon

Jul 24, 2013
FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Yea his crate has just enough room for him to turn around and stand up. I think im just waiting to long for him. THanks

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Every dog is different in terms of how long they can hold their urine and feces. Some have control at a few months and with others can take up to a year. He may just not be able to hold it and with the crate the size it is he has no choice but to lay in it.

Keep up the effort. It feels like it will never end and then one day a miracle happens...........

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online