Need help and ideas

Charles monkeybut

Jul 31, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
I am looking for ideas and help from anyone as this is our first bulldog. We have had our English bulldog since she was weened. We also have a Weiner dog. They have been raised together, but a while ago our bulldog started showing signs of aggression to the other dog. It is getting increasingly worse as the passive Weiner dog is now fighting back. I am now getting afraid for both of them. Can anyone help or give ideas as I love them both. My husband says the bulldog is jealous but that's a statement and doesn't give me any ideas of what to try doing. Please help if you can!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am looking for ideas and help from anyone as this is our first bulldog. We have had our English bulldog since she was weened. We also have a Weiner dog. They have been raised together, but a while ago our bulldog started showing signs of aggression to the other dog. It is getting increasingly worse as the passive Weiner dog is now fighting back. I am now getting afraid for both of them. Can anyone help or give ideas as I love them both. My husband says the bulldog is jealous but that's a statement and doesn't give me any ideas of what to try doing. Please help if you can!

I'm going to move this to the behavioral section, [MENTION=4305]Vince00[/MENTION] [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
How old is your bully? They seem to start after 1 or 2 trying to prove their pack status. Cutty started after a year and neutering changed his behavior almost overnight. Good thing cuz I didn't have the resources I have now with EBN. Miila started when she came to the house to find her place and hand feeding worked wonders with her. Making her work for every handful and having her take it from me at my terms taught her well. Also I would feed the other pup first, having angus sit/stay and just watch and wait his turn. You will get more advice but I would start with this.

OP
C

Charles monkeybut

Jul 31, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Angus is a female that is three years old she was neutered as a pup. Thanks for the response I will try anything .

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well guess neutering won't help then huh? :lol: sorry. You will get much more advice and then trying diff things you will figure out what works for her. Problem is these babies are smart AND stubborn. Bd combination I think. Lol

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hang in there..others will see it..
@Davidh.. @Sherry

One thing that has helped us in the past..was keeping the one that seems to be the instigator on a leash. Even in the house. You must watch for any little signs or triggers and preempt them. A gentle tug..a redirect. If you can stop it from escalating, the dogs will follow. You also can't show them you are tense or fearful.

Walking them together really helps too. Even though they ave grown up together, one is trying to dominate and YOU must claim the pack leader position. You go first..in and out. You feed them, by hand if needed. You claim the space and not them.

Another thing to watch for...often the true instigator is NOT the one you think. The sneaky one will cause the reaction..a look..a movement..however slight and it's game on..your job is to figure out who the instigator is..and above all..claim the pack leader spot.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some excellent advise about to start with, and that may even be enough to solve the problem. Please keep us posted.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack

Do you notice the aggression after they have been playing for awhile? I can tell you my experience with my Brutus is that when he is tired of playing and wants to rest, he will seem like he is being aggressive. He simply wants to be left alone at this point. I will put him in his kennel for a nice little rest and he comes out good as new. They really are like babies. I hope this helps, good luck!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I think it's kinda strange that after 3 years together they don't get along as well. Maybe the bully has some sort of pain. Or it could be just tired, and doesn't want to be bothered.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You have great advice to get you started, but I would also have the vet check for any issues with either pup just to make sure one is not sick and the other is reacting to it.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Another thing to watch for...often the true instigator is NOT the one you think. The sneaky one will cause the reaction..a look..a movement..however slight and it's game on..your job is to figure out who the instigator is..and above all..claim the pack leader spot.

So important to note! Watching carefully, patiently, calmly and ASSERTIVELY will help you figure out who's starting stuff --- and it's not always the bigger dog! LOL Using drag leashes on them both in the beginning will give you more control - but physically and psychologically - for both the humans and the dogs.

Also important to treat your dogs 100% the same. Not because of jealousy (that's a petty emotion reserved for us humans only) but because dogs DO have a sense of "Fairness". A pack leader is always fair.

Folks always think the noises dogs make are automatically "aggressive". We have to be careful to not label "communication" aggression. Sure; as the pack leaders we get to demand what kind/volume of communication happens in the home --- but a warning growl is not aggression. Yesterday, a friend of my mother's was over and they were watching the dogs play with a big rubber football. Bea was chewing on it and didn't want Bo to have it. Bo wanted it, of course. My dogs discussed this in dog terms --- Bea is claiming the toy -- has it between her paws and she's standing over it -- and Bo is belly crawling closer and closer because he knows he'll get a reaction from Bea. If Bo wanted the toy, he could get it. He weighs 40 more pounds than Bea. They were playing a game. When noses finally touched and they began what I call "air arguing" both my mother and her friend practically JUMPED OUT OF THEIR SKINS. I'm like, relax ladies. They're just talking!!! I bring that up because sometimes --- no, a lot of the time --- the human's reaction to the situation only exacerbates it.

Air arguing is both muzzles with a growl like sound mouthing each other's mouths -- does that make sense? At my house, some air arguing is allowed -but never allowed to escalate in volume. When it goes on too long, I simply disagree with the behavior; "ACK". (like I do with any other thing I don't want them to do - same exact noise. I make it Every. Friggin. Time. This way, they know exactly in no uncertain terms that I don't like whatever it is they are doing in that second.)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.